GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's up with Phil Kessel?

+4
shabbs
SensFan71
spader
Jordo
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:26 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

What's this guy's status? H'es RFA with Boston, but it doesn't appear that Boston has any intentions of resigning him.He's goten progressively better since entering the league- and could quite possibly have a breakout this year.What's he worth? 5? I woudl LOVE to throw him on the left side with Spezza and Kovalev/Alfie, could you imagine that?

If we could only get rid of Heatley...

2What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Boston in a 3way trade for a signed Kessel? Hmm...I wonder how that would work, but it'd be FANTASTIC.

3What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 am

5M is way too much for Kessell at this point in his career.

I would think more in the 3-4 range like Parise and Krejci.

4What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

apparently Kessel is kept very much in the dark as well according to sportsnet. not much in the article, so won't be posting it because all it states is he wants to play for Team USA, not sure what is going on with the B's

5What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Toronto Sun has an aptly titled article on Phil Kessel...

"If something is Bruin in Beantown, Kessel doesn't know"

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/19/10509556-sun.html

Too true.

6What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:08 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:The Toronto Sun has an aptly titled article on Phil Kessel...

"If something is Bruin in Beantown, Kessel doesn't know"

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/19/10509556-sun.html

Too true.

that must be where sportsnet is getting their headline from, sheesh, they can't even come up with their own stories now, that is horrible :^^^^:

7What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:5M is way too much for Kessell at this point in his career.

I would think more in the 3-4 range like Parise and Krejci.

And I don't think he's as good as either of those players (especially not ZP).

8What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They are right to stick to their guns. Diddle you little man, here's 3.5 X 2. Be happy you're alive - and happy you're playing in the NHL.

To borrow from the Wings: "It is a privilege to play for the Wings, not a right."

9What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:They are right to stick to their guns. Diddle you little man, here's 3.5 X 2. Be happy you're alive - and happy you're playing in the NHL.

To borrow from the Wings: "It is a privilege to play for the Wings, not a right."

A little harsh SD. The guy overcame cancer and is still playing hockey at an elite level. That should be applauded. He shouldn't have to 'settle'.

Kessel was a big part of the Bruins run last year- scored 36 goals in 70 games- that's nothing to shake a stick at. He can also play both wings, and has a Diddle laser of a shot- which is a HUGE plus for any hockey club.

I'd say he's absolutely worth every penny at 3.5, and I'd even pay 4 to get his services short term.

10What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 am

I'd go 3.5 for sure, 4M would require a 4 year committent (not like Heatley's version of committment).

11What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:
A little harsh SD. The guy overcame cancer and is still playing hockey at an elite level. That should be applauded. He shouldn't have to 'settle'.

Kessel was a big part of the Bruins run last year- scored 36 goals in 70 games- that's nothing to shake a stick at. He can also play both wings, and has a Diddle laser of a shot- which is a HUGE plus for any hockey club.

I'd say he's absolutely worth every penny at 3.5, and I'd even pay 4 to get his services short term.

It's fantastic, I've applauded it many times, but the days of RFAs demanding 5+ million should be over by all rationales. Wait until you're a UFA, then cash in.

Or is it that he doesn't think he'll still be good? And if that's the case, isn't that nerve-wracking for Boston?

12What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:I'd go 3.5 for sure, 4M would require a 4 year committent (not like Heatley's version of committment).

There, that's probably the most fair agreement for both sides. 16 million over 4 years and he comes out as a UFA (I believe). Both sides should be happy.

13What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's reportedly asking for a long-term deal at $5.5M/season. It's gonna be tough for him to get that.

Could he have taken the Bruins to arbitration since he's an RFA?

14What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm

shabbs wrote:He's reportedly asking for a long-term deal at $5.5M/season. It's gonna be tough for him to get that.

I believe that an RFA only has arbitration rights, if they are still RFA status but not in their entry level deal. In other words, somewhere in years 4-6. I am also under the impression that a player can only ever be eligible once for arbitration.

I'm not positive, but this is what I understand.

15What's up with Phil Kessel? Empty Re: What's up with Phil Kessel? Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:He's reportedly asking for a long-term deal at $5.5M/season. It's gonna be tough for him to get that.

That's more of what I mean in that post. He should feel lucky that he's NHL ready after all he's been through - and that he's very good - and that he's on one of the top teams. 5.5? No. That's not fair to the team that supported you through the cancer. It's silly as well because the Bruins' can't do it.

Can't he wait to cash in? He doesn't have arb rights this year. I don't understand his stance? Shrug

Watch, he'll sign for 2.5 X 2 and everyone will laugh at all this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum