GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rumoured Offer - Kessel for Kaberle + 7th overall

+3
PKC
shabbs
SensFan71
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282921

The Boston Bruins are in pursuit of Tomas Kaberle and a top 10 pick in today's draft.
Sources tell TSN the Bruins have offered restricted free agent forward Phil Kessel to Toronto in exchange for the Leaf defenceman and Toronto's No. 7 pick in the draft.
The Leafs are apparently canvassing the league to see if there are any better offers out there.
Kessel, taken fifth overall by the Bruins in 2006, scored 36 goals and 60 points last season, his third campaign in the NHL. With restricted free agent David Krejci signed to a long-term deal and the team pushed up against next year's salary cap, general manager Peter Chiarelli was rumoured to be shopping the young scorer.
Kaberle completed his 10th season with the Maple Leafs in 2008-09 and has two years left on his contract worth $4.25 million a season. While he has a no-trade clause, Kaberle's contract allows him to be dealt during a small window in the offseason that opens with the commencement of the draft tonight.
Details to follow.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't think Burke will give up any picks other than to move up in the draft.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I don't think Burke will give up any picks other than to move up in the draft.

At the 7 spot, I don't think he's going to get a better scorer than Phil Kessel.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I don't think Burke will give up any picks other than to move up in the draft.

Burke is looking at moving up in the draft, not losing a pick, no matter how good Kessel is, he wants Brayden Schenn or Cowen.

I think the pick would be from Bos to Tor, perhaps Kessel (unsigned) and a mid round pick for Kaberle.

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

That's a tough call for Burke because if he takes it, he is forfeiting the chance completely to get one of those top picks. I would think he would at least ask for Boston's 1st back.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:

Burke is looking at moving up in the draft, not losing a pick, no matter how good Kessel is, he wants Brayden Schenn or Cowen.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. He'd only give up his 7th if it was for something that included 3rd or 4th for example...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was saying. He'd only give up his 7th if it was for something that included 3rd or 4th for example...

which means Atlanta or Colorado would be adequate dance partners, or if Hedman gets taken first, the Lightning, their D is horrible. they could fall to 7th, get Kaberle, then pick Cowen.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This Kaberle offer is getting more attention...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/26/kaberle_draft/

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

All along he's been saying he wants to move up, not down. This makes no sense but, of course, the rumor says this is coming from Boston.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

All along he's been saying he wants to move up, not down. This makes no sense but, of course, the rumor says this is coming from Boston.

Boston wants to move up too, but I think they picked the wrong dancing partner.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kessel for Kaberle and the 7th overall? Is Burke mad? That's a terrible deal for Toronto.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Kessel for Kaberle and the 7th overall? Is Burke mad? That's a terrible deal for Toronto.

its coming from Boston, so imagine Burke will shred Chiarelli tonight for this one, their tables will be close I imagine if they seat the teams by division.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Kessel for Kaberle and the 7th overall? Is Burke mad? That's a terrible deal for Toronto.
It's now sounding like it was Kessel for Kaberle straight up... but I suspect Burke wants more... who knows...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
It's now sounding like it was Kessel for Kaberle straight up... but I suspect Burke wants more... who knows...

he may want boston's pick back, which I can't see Chiarelli accepting, but who knows? Shrug

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum