GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Heatley a Shark?" plus other Sens and non-Sens chat

+15
Vandelay
jawal
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Phoenix30
Cronie
caissie_1
shabbs
PKC
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
davetherave
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 16]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:for that matter it will be interesting how chicago clears that 4.5 million before puck drop...

Depending on how much time Hossa spends on IR, they might only have to clear half that amount.

I would think that one of Barker, Versteeg, or Buff would be ahead of Sharp on the chopping block.

Like OTT, SJS, and BOS, tho', CHI is one of those teams that is for sure going to have to move a little salary before the puck drops. They can use the bonus cushion this year to just squeak by with $1.4 mil or so in cap space, but I think that would be a serious, serious mistake.

The bonus cushion doesn't make the problem go away; it just delays it a year. With the cap threatening to drop next year and Kane, Toews, and Keith all up for re-signing, it would not be a good idea at all to start spending some of next next year's cap space this year.

rooneypoo wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:for that matter it will be interesting how chicago clears that 4.5 million before puck drop...

Depending on how much time Hossa spends on IR, they might only have to clear half that amount.

I would think that one of Barker, Versteeg, or Buff would be ahead of Sharp on the chopping block.

Like OTT, SJS, and BOS, tho', CHI is one of those teams that is for sure going to have to move a little salary before the puck drops. They can use the bonus cushion this year to just squeak by with $1.4 mil or so in cap space, but I think that would be a serious, serious mistake.

The bonus cushion doesn't make the problem go away; it just delays it a year. With the cap threatening to drop next year and Kane, Toews, and Keith all up for re-signing, it would not be a good idea at all to start spending some of next next year's cap space this year.

In other words, baptism by fire for Stan Bowman. Ahhhhh!

While I think they'll find a way to keep Kane, Toews and Keith, it probably will cost them one or more of Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg etc. Some guys could literally play themselves out of town before the deadline. The plus side is that a guy like Sharp, with his PKing skills could fetch a nice return at the deadline. They could surely unload him then for a package of prospects/picks. Likewise with Byfuglien and Versteeg.

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

I've got to say that some, not all, are too funny. I brought up moving Atrain earlier this summer as he is a ufa, because of cap issues and we could get a decent return for him and I was shot down and mocked. NOW, some have changed their tune.....tooo funny.

Phoenix30 wrote:I've got to say that some, not all, are too funny. I brought up moving Atrain earlier this summer as he is a ufa, because of cap issues and we could get a decent return for him and I was shot down and mocked. NOW, some have changed their tune.....tooo funny.

I'd rather trade Phillips, but with a NMC that could prove to be difficult. Volchy would fetch a very nice return should we move him. It would also continue my 100% streak of having owned jersey then seeing that player get dealt. Crying

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:I've got to say that some, not all, are too funny. I brought up moving Atrain earlier this summer as he is a ufa, because of cap issues and we could get a decent return for him and I was shot down and mocked. NOW, some have changed their tune.....tooo funny.

I'd rather trade Phillips - or let him ride out his contract and let him walk. There's not even a choice IMO.

However, one guy has a NTC, the other does not. Volchenkov is better, younger and is the perfect pick up for a team looking to go deep in the playoffs.

There's only a few deals that would make me say, 'let's trade him', one of those deals would be Patrick Sharp without a second thought.

I wasn't going to say anything because it would seem like a direct challenge to what Neely was saying, but I think Phillips' is the one to go. I think if Murray can get A-Train signed, then Phillips' time is done here. If A-Train (who's already sat out once before here in Ottawa) asks for Komisarek money, then he has to be traded well before the deadline IMO. And Sharp would be a wonderful return.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

If you're going to play this game, you have to N4L it: find the thread(s) in question. Otherwise, it doesn't mean much.

As far as I recall, while no one ever expresses much glee at the idea of losing Volchenkov, just about everyone on this site has recognized for some time that there is a good chance he might not be with us for the 2010-11 season, and that if he doesn't sign an extension in the next 7 months, we might be forced to move him.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

If you're going to play this game, you have to N4L it: find the thread(s) in question. Otherwise, it doesn't mean much.

As far as I recall, while no one ever expresses much glee at the idea of losing Volchenkov, just about everyone on this site has recognized for some time that there is a good chance he might not be with us for the 2010-11 season, and that if he doesn't sign an extension in the next 7 months, we might be forced to move him.

completely agree, there is no way we can lose players of that caliber for nothing. if we can't get him to sign to an extention then by all means we have to consider all the options. and yes he could/will fetch quite a nice return this year for a team wanting to go after the cup.

also, if hossa is put on IR it won't be for the full year and i can't see chicago playing phillies game with 6 million sitting in the AHL.(briere)

what are the chances that they can find a trade partner for cambell? that kind of salary is not easely traded and i would imagine, especialy withthe cap going down. if any team would be willing to take that on, they might ask for either a good prospect as well or not a fair valued trade.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I looked through a Volchenkov extension thread and everyone was saying they thought he'd accept Phillips/Volchenkov money. Rooney was saying that he might ask for Komisarek money, which turned out to be 4.5 million.

Someone mentioned 4.2 million as the price the Sens and A-Train will probably agree on.

DTR and others offered up an early volley, saying that he might be a great trade piece.

No one went nuts from what I saw. Maybe there are more threads. For sure I talked about trading Volchenkov in a few threads. It's one of those things I feel MIGHT be inevitable - and ultimately might help the organization going forward.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
completely agree, there is no way we can lose players of that caliber for nothing. if we can't get him to sign to an extention then by all means we have to consider all the options. and yes he could/will fetch quite a nice return this year for a team wanting to go after the cup.

also, if hossa is put on IR it won't be for the full year and i can't see chicago playing phillies game with 6 million sitting in the AHL.(briere)

what are the chances that they can find a trade partner for cambell? that kind of salary is not easely traded and i would imagine, especialy withthe cap going down. if any team would be willing to take that on, they might ask for either a good prospect as well or not a fair valued trade.

The Flyers didn't send Briere down to the AHL, he was hurt most of last season.

In terms of a trade partner for Campbell, IMO I don't think they'll ever find one. Columbus is looking everywhere for a puck mover - anyone will do! - but they haven't even called Chicago regarding Campbell (as far as been reported?). If they don't do it, then who has the money to?

I need to check with Dawg, but I thought there was a rule in the CBA that keeps teams from negotiating with their UFA's until January 1st (although is could be the RFA's).

Knowing that will set expectations. I don't expect Murray to get him signed before the season starts unless the Heatley trade goes down before. Should he not get signed before camp, then I can ratchet down my expectations meter until Jan 1

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:I need to check with Dawg, but I thought there was a rule in the CBA that keeps teams from negotiating with their UFA's until January 1st (although is could be the RFA's).

Knowing that will set expectations. I don't expect Murray to get him signed before the season starts unless the Heatley trade goes down before. Should he not get signed before camp, then I can ratchet down my expectations meter until Jan 1

The rule you are referring to, I believe, applies only to players who signed one-year deals. FLA couldn't talk to J-Bo about an extension last year until after January, for instance, but only because he signed a one-year deal that year.

By contrast, OTT, for example, signed a deal with Heatley (who was in the last year of their contracts) in the fall of 2007, some 3 months or so before January.

As far as I know, OTT was free to start talking extension with Volchenkov as of July 1st, 2009. Same with VAN with Luongo, CHI with Toews, Kane, Keith, etc., etc. The only exception is for players who just signed one-year deals.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm definitely not going to worry about it personally. I love A-Train and I know that Murray and co. love him as well, so if they all of a sudden find themselves needing to trade him, I'll trust that they did everything in their power to hang onto him.

Plus of course, Murray has a ton of stuff on his plate, so I can see where his mind might not be fully on A-Train yet, but if it's not done before puck-drop, then I might start wondering where A-Train will be come deadline day.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And for the record, 4.2 would be my limit. I find that 200K too much personally, so I'd like to get a 4 million/5 year deal done ASAP. Preferably a little lower, like 3.75.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i do remember briere saying he was ready to come back and play for the flyers but they were saying he wasn't healthy yet. when you looked at their salary and cap i don't think they were able to bring him up with sending some down.
he seemed pissed at the time, so i attributed it to cap reasons.

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

The Flyers didn't send Briere down to the AHL, he was hurt most of last season.

In terms of a trade partner for Campbell, IMO I don't think they'll ever find one. Columbus is looking everywhere for a puck mover - anyone will do! - but they haven't even called Chicago regarding Campbell (as far as been reported?). If they don't do it, then who has the money to?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:And for the record, 4.2 would be my limit. I find that 200K too much personally, so I'd like to get a 4 million/5 year deal done ASAP. Preferably a little lower, like 3.75.
4.2 eh? i figured him and phillips would get the same. it's hard to see all these players talking about raises while cap is probably gonna go down. what about shannon and foligno next year? when is the cap coming back up? Frustrated2

If Shannon has a real good year he will probably price himself out of Ottawa.

4.2M seems a little steep for Volchenkov. I could see maye 4 x 3.5M at the most.

I still dont get why everyone is in favour of Phillips walking over A Train. I love Vulchi as much as the next guy but there is only so much he can offer the organization and more importantly the prospect coming up on the blueline. What Phillips is to The Sens at this point in time is a lot more important then what Vulchi is.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum