GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harry Potter breaks box office record

+6
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22.2 million dollars from midnight showings alone. Diddle me, this is what the term 'blockbuster' means.

Hogwarts fans rushed out to multiplexes on Tuesday night powering Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to a new post-midnight record with an estimated $22.2M in ticket sales from just the overnight shows starting at 12:01am. The figure easily beat out the $18.5M that The Dark Knight collected on the Thursday night before the same weekend last year. HBP also surged a stunning 85% above the $12M that the last film in the franchise, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, grossed in its post-midnight debut which was also a Tuesday night in July. That pic pulled in $44.2M in its complete opening day on its way to a $139.7M Wednesday-to-Sunday debut in 2007.

Last August, Warner Bros. delayed Prince's release from November 21, 2008 to July 17, 2009 (then again to July 15) causing a frenzy among fans who then had to wait an extra eight months to see their favorite wizards on the big screen. The pent-up demand was clearly on display on Tuesday night as the faithful showed up in droves for the well-reviewed pic.

Prince also beat out the $16M post-midnight tally of last month's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which went on to score the second best opening day ever with $62M and a colossal $200.1M over five days. Half-Blood Prince is not expected to beat that five-day level since there was more urgency to see the very first wizard shows which will likely push more of the total turnout onto the opening day.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/071509b.htm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What recession?

I have 3 kids, and I've still managed to only see about 30 mins of the first movie.

I've still never seen any of those LOTR movies either.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Zoolander wrote:I have 3 kids, and I've still managed to only see about 30 mins of the first movie.

Same here, except I didn't even see one minute of Harry Porter...

I did, however, see Brüno last night. What a piece of düng that was!

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Zoolander wrote:I have 3 kids, and I've still managed to only see about 30 mins of the first movie.

Blah. I won't be paying to see that. I maybe be lining up to see 2012 though. Gotta love the big summer disaster movies!

I just hope it's better than the last steaming pile of turd I paid to see. The 4th (and quite laughable) Indiana Jones movie. Facepalm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The last movie I saw in the theatre was "Taken" with Liam Neeson. Great movie.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Zoolander wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Blah. I won't be paying to see that. I maybe be lining up to see 2012 though. Gotta love the big summer disaster movies!

I just hope it's better than the last steaming pile of turd I paid to see. The 4th (and quite laughable) Indiana Jones movie. Facepalm

Yes. Brüno would have to be considered a türkey, IMO. A crying shame really.

shabbs wrote:The last movie I saw in the theatre was "Taken" with Liam Neeson. Great movie.

That was quite good. I love those one man against em all type movies. And Maggie Grace is really, really nice to look at. She's ridiculously leggy.

I'm DYING to see the 4th Bourne movie. 2010 pffffft.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Knowing is a good movie too if anyone likes apocalyptic movies.

10Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 pm

I took my daughter and I'll say I was very very disappointed. I won't give anything away other than to say that they cut major parts out of the book (in other words didn't show key parts) which have a huge bearing on the story in this movie as well they set up the next 2.

Not to mention they rewrote several other spots, which caused me to sit and wonder where the movie was going until it joined up with J.K.Rowling's novel.

11Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why did so many people love Taken? I like all types of movies, but I thought the script was dumb, the acting was embarrassing, the directing plodding. Both Stargate and I disliked it immensely.

SPOILER ALERT:

Quickly, he shoots like 80 guys at the end, but he only knocks some of them out. Should he have really been so lackadaisical in giving his daughter a big hug and having a nice relax? If I was a bad guy, I would put a pill right in his arse and watched him struggle. Dumb movie.

12Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Taken = Garbage!

13Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dawg's Wife wrote:I took my daughter and I'll say I was very very disappointed. I won't give anything away other than to say that they cut major parts out of the book (in other words didn't show key parts) which have a huge bearing on the story in this movie as well they set up the next 2.

Not to mention they rewrote several other spots, which caused me to sit and wonder where the movie was going until it joined up with J.K.Rowling's novel.

DW, that was probably my favorite book of the series. What did they remove -- I don't mind spoilers, you can PM me if you wish. I also tend to enjoy a movie more if I know of the short-comings beforehand.

14Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Taken = Garbage!
BAH! All you Taken haters be gone! GONE I SAY!

Wink

C'mon... garbage? Compared to what's being offered these days... it's Ocsar material.

For those that didn't like Taken... did you enjoy the Bourne series?

15Harry Potter breaks box office record Empty Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
BAH! All you Taken haters be gone! GONE I SAY!

Wink

C'mon... garbage? Compared to what's being offered these days... it's Ocsar material.

For those that didn't like Taken... did you enjoy the Bourne series?

I loved the Bourne series. The first Bourne was one of the most entertaining, sharply written, well acted action/thrillers I can remember. The other two were almost as good.

Now Bourne/Damon was a guy who was gonna kick some serious arse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum