GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Boys afternoon out today. First we all got haircuts, then off to see HP7p1. I have to admit, I was not the greatest fan of the last book, or,more precisely, the part of the book where Harry is wondering in the desert for 40 years. And I went in pretty much expecting that this installment will at least have some of that in it. I'd read the reviews that said this movies is very much a setup to the finale. I'd also read some not so complimentary reviews. I've got to say, though, that I thought it was very, very good. It wasn't a magical kid film, it wasn't an action flick, it wasn't teenage angst. It was a movie, and a pretty good one. About the only thing I noticed that I wasn't keen on, was Ralph Fiennes' screen time. Voldemort is a lot more menacing in smaller doses when he has less to say.

The odd, awkward part was very odd and very awkward. I won't spoil it in case you don't want to be spoiled. It wasn't exactly in the book (otherwise it's not exactly a spoiler). Let's just say that watching it with my 14 and 12 year old boys there was some 'splaining to do.

If you are a fan of the books and films, this one is definitely recommended.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I've stopped wathcing the movies after the 4th one, I found it was cheesy and not like the book at all, and I understand it because they don't really have the time to make you "care" about the characters.
However, in the last 2 books, the focus was mostly on Harry and Tom Riddle, so I thought it woudl be easier to put on the big screen. The 6th book is absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've ever read and I still haven't watched the movie but I heard it was quite good. Same with the 7th.
I'll wait for the blu ray to rent it I think.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

#4 is my favorite. Best dragon action I'd ever seen. Most people I know say #3 is best but I thought they made way too much of the time aspect (which I thought was just a plot device, but they made it central to the movie, what with that pendulum and the clockwork being very prominent; and they completely missed that it was Wood's last year and they finally won the Quidditch Cup). Honestly, I think people are just in love with Cuaron and give it the nod partly based on that.

I'll have to watch #6 (OotP) again. I've seen it twice but still haven't come to really like it. Might need a third viewing. It's got Luna and Umbridge and Tonks, so I have to like it, don't I?

Anyhow, I loved the books but, let's face it, the story is the star, not the writing. I don't get too upset at movie adaptations if they don't capture every little thing from the book (did you miss Tom Bombadil in the LotR movies?)

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah of course the story was the force, writing was secondary mostly because it is intended to a large audience and is supposed to be a very easy read. My age at the time allowed me to really appreciate it.
Still, the way the chapters are divided, the flashbacks, and the focus on Voldemort's childhood and upbringing were awesome. Also the fact that I seriously had no clue who the Prince was was the best part.

HP4 was a good read, but I couldn't stand the ball/dance part in the movie. And it seemed to me the actors got all of a sudden too "big"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum