GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY MAY 22, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--DETROIT AT CHICAGO, 800PM ET/7PM CHICAGO

+4
SensFan71
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:Let's just say that my wife is going on a cruise with her sister in the fall. The green egg will just about even things out Wink
Sweet stuff man, it's a grill, smoker and oven all in one. Very nice! You'll have to give us the details on how it goes cooking with it.

What size did you get? I see it goes from mini to extra-large.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Let's just say that my wife is going on a cruise with her sister in the fall. The green egg will just about even things out Wink
Sweet stuff man, it's a grill, smoker and oven all in one. Very nice! You'll have to give us the details on how it goes cooking with it.

Do a YouTube search and you'll see several deomstrations. Smoked brisket. Mmmmm! :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Do a YouTube search and you'll see several deomstrations. Smoked brisket. Mmmmm! :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Maybe I'll host a GMHockey BBQ this summer; anybody interested?

refs blew that game, but the wings show why they're the champs. I'm glad I got Wings in 5.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:

I got the large; it's the best of the lot. I can fit 4 full rib racks and 5 chicken breasts on it so it's big enough for the wife and I Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I got the large; it's the best of the lot. I can fit 4 full rib racks and 5 chicken breasts on it so it's big enough for the wife and I Smile
Holy moly that is awesome.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Al Cimaglia at ESPN:

Hard-win artists

Hawks win in every way possible

May 23, 2009, Al Cimaglia/ESPN

The Blackhawks' win Friday was their finest moment of the season.

For countless reasons, the
Chicago Blackhawks' 4-3 overtime victory over the Detroit Red Wings in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals was their finest moment of the season.

Blowing a three-goal lead at home and going down 3-0 to the champs could have taken a lot of the shine off their wonderful season. Everyone associated with this team, including the most loyal fans, would have been hard pressed not to admit this would have been the worst possible way to end the season.

But for the umpteenth time this season, this young group won a game in the most difficult fashion.

The Hawks came out strong once again and managed to get a two-goal lead. The opening period featured a lot of power-play chances for Chicago, but the Hawks converted only once. In almost nine minutes of power-play time, the Hawks managed only five shots. Although Chicago was leading 2-0 after the opening frame, it didn't feel as though the Wings were out of the game. One wondered if the blown power-play opportunities would come back to haunt Chicago.

Part of the reason the Hawks had a lot of power-play time during the first period was a four-minute high-sticking infraction whistled on Wings forward
Daniel Cleary. A few minutes later, there was a controversial penalty called on Wings defender Niklas Kronwall.

Kronwall caught Hawks winger
Marty Havlat along the boards with the puck at Havlat's feet and his eyes down, not on the oncoming Detroit defenseman. The result was a bone-crunching hit that appeared to knock Havlat out. The Hawks forward fell to the ice in a heap, and Kronwall was whistled for a five-minute major penalty for interference. The Wings defenseman also was given a game misconduct, and the play will be subject to review, as a result of which he could face a suspension.

When I first saw the play, it appeared that Kronwall might have been guilty of boarding and elbowing. The interference call is interesting because the puck was at Havlat's feet. Technically, Havlat didn't touch the puck, so that is where the interference infraction comes from. Some could conclude Havlat had the puck in his possession, so he is fair game to get hit along the boards.

I doubt Kronwall will receive a suspension. Regardless, the Red Wings' losing Kronwall for the rest of this series because of a suspension would not be as significant to them as the Blackhawks' losing Havlat for even one game.

My issue with this penalty is the same problem I have with the NHL on numerous occasions throughout the season.

Upon watching the replay, Kronwall was not guilty of charging or boarding. He may have left his feet and could be guilty of elbowing. If that is the case, he should be suspended, but I am not certain that what he did warrants that type of discipline.

My feeling is there certainly wouldn't have been a major penalty called -- and possibly no infraction whistled -- if Havlat wasn't knocked out.

Supposedly, these are the finest NHL referees. Getting an officiating assignment in the playoffs is a reward for a job well done throughout the regular season. What happened Friday probably was officials' overreacting because a player was injured.

Although Kronwall's hit on Havlat was vicious, it may not have warranted a penalty at all.

Most important now is that Havlat may have a concussion.

I don't want to speculate how long he will be out of action. It's possible that he may not have a concussion at all. If he does, he could easily miss the rest of this series.

Once Havlat was injured, the air started to come out of the Hawks' balloon. It was happening ever so slowly, but the Red Wings were taking control of the game.

Chicago had 11 shots in the opening period and then managed only 14 over the next 40 minutes. The Wings are masters of taking momentum away and gaining control of a game.

At the start of the second period, Hawks forward
Samuel Pahlsson deflected defenseman Duncan Keith's point shot past Wings goalie Chris Osgood to give Chicago a 3-0 lead. After that, Detroit needed to mount a strong attack.

That is exactly what the Wings did as they caused a sinking feeling to permeate throughout the United Center. Detroit managed to tie the score in the second period with a three-goal burst that took all of 4:23. The Chicago season appeared to be headed for a brutal ending. It has to be realized that
Nikolai Khabibulin was doing his job and was outplaying Osgood even though he allowed three goals. The Wings surrounded the Hawks' net, and a combination of screens, deflections and a little luck led to their three-goal barrage. At that point, it appeared to me that Khabibulin still was playing well. Then to add to the intrigue, when the teams came out for the third frame, it was Cristobal Huet headed toward the Hawks' net rather than Khabibulin. So this young group with little playoff experience just finished getting overwhelmed for 20 minutes and now loses its starting goaltender.

Depending on what story you want to believe, Khabibulin was replaced in net because he suffered a lower-body injury -- or was sick. I tend to believe the latter, but everything is top-secret regarding a player's health in the postseason. Khabibulin did not practice Thursday, but there was no indication he was not 100 percent. Maybe if he was feeling ill from the flu, that could be deemed a lower-body injury.

All I know for certain is that Khabibulin left the game unexpectedly and was replaced by Huet, who hasn't seen any action for about six weeks. Huet deserves a ton of credit -- although not heavily tested, he was up to the task. The forgotten Chicago goalie appeared confident and sharp. He is known for being a diligent worker in practice, and his work ethic proved useful for this unscheduled appearance.

Once again, the way the Blackhawks win games is out of the ordinary. They were outworked for much the second period and were not a threat to Detroit for almost the entire third period. Then, as if someone flipped a switch, the Hawks woke up.

With about five minutes to go in regulation, the Hawks got their legs back.
Patrick Kane started skating better than he had since the opening period, and he attacked the Red Wings' goal. Kane's effort seemed to be contagious, because for the first time in almost 40 minutes, the Blackhawks were the better team.

The Hawks suddenly looked as if they were trying to close the deal. Detroit withstood the Chicago charge, but for the first time there was hope for Hawks fans.

When overtime began, it was the Hawks who looked to be energized and confident.

To conclude this unusual contest, it was the play of the Hawks' most defensive defender that led the offensive charge.

Stay-at-home defenseman
Matt Walker carried the puck into the Detroit zone and got more creative than usual. He sent a shot toward Osgood, who was being screened by huge Hawks forward Dustin Byfuglien. The result of Walker's shot on goal was a big rebound that went to Pahlsson, who sent a pass to winger Patrick Sharp. It was an alert pass from Pahlsson, as he found Sharp in perfect position to score the game-winner. All Sharp had to do was not miss the net while Osgood was out of position, and Sharp did not disappoint Hawks fans.

Detroit center
Pavel Datsyuk did not play, and Wings forward Kris Draper left the game early after suffering a groin injury. It appears doubtful that Havlat will play Sunday, but he could rebound and be ready. Khabibulin's health status is also a mystery, so the Hawks may have to rely on Huet once again.

What is certain, the Blackhawks took a huge step Friday night. At the very least, they will not be swept by the mighty Wings, and with a win Sunday, this could turn into a long series.

The Hawks don't just win ugly -- they win in every possible way.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Maybe I'll host a GMHockey BBQ this summer; anybody interested?

No offense, but have you got a Big Green Egg?

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

It seems that both Havlat and Khabibulin are out for game 4. This series could be over pretty quickly.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/hockey/nhl/05/23/hurt.hawks.ap/index.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum