GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP' 09, SUNDAY MAY 17, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 3PM ET

+4
caissie_1
Hockeyhero22000
Nasty Nas
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: SCP' 09, SUNDAY MAY 17, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 3PM ET ChiChicago at GAME DAY: SCP' 09, SUNDAY MAY 17, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL--CHICAGO AT DETROIT, 3PM ET DetDetroit

GAME ONE: 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL

3:00 PM ET, May 17, 2009
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan

NBC/TSN/RDS

Blackhawks-Red Wings Preview

Who has the edge? Blackhawks vs. Red Wings

Chris Kuc | Chicago Tribune, May 16, 2009

Offense

Both teams have explosive offenses. The Wings are led by Henrik Zetterberg, Marian Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen. The Hawks counter with Martin Havlat, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp. The key will be the production from the teams' so-called role players. Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, Mikael Samuelsson, Valtteri Filppula and Tomas Holmstrom for Detroit and Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Dustin Byfuglien, Dave Bolland and Troy Brouwer for the Hawks.

Edge: Wings.

Defense

No defensive tandem in the postseason has played as well as the Hawks' Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook. They have effectively shut down opponents' top scorers while adding a little offense, too. Veteran Brian Campbell is playing arguably his best hockey as a Hawk and Cam Barker, Matt Walker and Niklas Hjalmarsson have been steady.

The Wings feature the best blueliner in hockey in Nicklas Lidstrom and have solid veterans Brad Stuart, Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall to provide support.

Edge: Even.

Goaltending

Nikolai Khabibulin has come up big when the Hawks have needed him and the veteran will have to step up his game even more against the high-flying Wings. He has the talented and experience to do so, having won a Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Detroit's Chris Osgood didn't have a very good regular season but the two-time Stanley Cup-winning veteran has found his game in the postseason with a 2.06 goals-against average and .921 save percentage. After battering Vancouver star Roberto Luongo in the semifinals, the Hawks won't be intimidated by Osgood.

Edge: Hawks.

Special teams

Both power plays have been very good during the postseason. The Hawks will need to avoid taking stick penalties and stay out of the box to keep the Wings' power-play units quiet.

Toews, Kane and Havlat are dangerous with room to move while foes are a man short.

Detroit's penalty-killing unit has been suspect at times in the playoffs, at just 72.5 percent, 14th out of the 16 playoff teams, and the Hawks have to take advantage of the rare opportunities they're likely to get against the disciplined defending Stanley Cup champions. The Hawks' penalty killers have been slightly more effective, ranking 10th at 79.6 percent.

Edge: Hawks.

Coaching

They don't come much better than the Wings' Mike Wang. He has guided Detroit to 50-win seasons in his first four campaigns in the Motor City and was at the helm as his team captured the Cup a year ago.

Joel Quenneville has proven to be the right man for the job for the Hawks after taking over for Denis Savard four games into the season. His steadying influence has kept the youngest team in the NHL on an even keel.

Edge: Wings.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Should be a fun one! Get my Wings jersey ready lololol. just
joking DTR. Would much rather have the Hawks in the finals.
They play some exciting hockey that is for sure!

The only positive if the Red Wings move on is a chance to shove it down Hossa's throat if Pitts makes it too.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

big game the hawks need to take at least one game from detroit hawks have to attack and try to chase osgood from the net to get him thinking or even doubting himself they need to get into osgoods head he has picked his game way up for the playoffs

Literally had chills up my spine watching these two face off... this is my dream matchup in the West, I hope Chicago takes it in 4, but if it goes the distance I wont be complaing haha.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Hawks score burish

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

jesus hawks are kicking the crap out of them so far. Hasn't been out of the Wings end

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Wow a little surprising..... I know it's very early but I may have underestimated theses Hawk's once again like I have all playoffs. Were gonna witness one hell of a series.

My God do the Hawks look good... Detroit is being dominated. Obviously the Hawks are for real, but are they THIS good? I've always thought there were a solid, solid team, but man, they might be the best in the NHL... Scary thing is, they are only getting better and more confident.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

:%%: HERE COME THE HAWKS.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

cleary with a rocket of a shot ties the game at 1

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:My God do the Hawks look good... Detroit is being dominated. Obviously the Hawks are for real, but are they THIS good? I've always thought there were a solid, solid team, but man, they might be the best in the NHL... Scary thing is, they are only getting better and more confident.

Agreed.... They have all the pieces rigth now and are so young..... This team could be a great one for long... Ans just like that the Newf make's it 1-1.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

BAD giveaway by Seabs...and Cleary buries it.

This is AWESOME!!! Im trying to watch this without some bias, haha, this is hockey.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Im looking forward to the Jay's finishing off the White sox so i can focused all of my attention on the game.... 2 more out's hurry the F up League.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Jay'S win on that double play now let's talk hockey......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum