GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Darren Elliot at SportsIllustrated.com:

Playoff hockey puts a decisive shine on role players
With Sunday's road wins, the Hurricanes and Ducks tied their respective series at one apiece. The Blackhawks earned their split in Vancouver against the Canucks on Saturday night. Will the Penguins follow suit in Washington and head home with the series tied?

One would presume it's a good possibility. Game 1 was close and it turned on Capitals' goaltender Simeon Varlamov's diving desperation stop of Sidney Crosby with the score tied 2-2 late in the second period. Certainly that was a difference-making moment, yet Crosby did score the first goal of the series.

In the battle of the stars, his marquee counterpart on the other side, Alex Ovechkin, matched him with a power play goal.

That first game saw Ovechkin's gang -- namely Alex Semin and Nick Backstrom -- outperform Crosby's crew of Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal.

In fact, with all the focus on the top players, this series may actually come down to performances turned in by forwards 7-10 on each side. Staal centers the third unit for the Penguins, yet the Caps' fourth-line center, David Steckel, scored. If the Penguins earn a split with a win on Monday night in Washington, look for Staal, Tyler Kennedy or Matt Cooke to be in the mix.

After all, much was made of Ovechkin versus Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, but that series turned in Game 5 when fourth-liner Matt Bradley scored shorthanded in the first period and followed it up with a second tally, at even strength, less than eight minutes later.

So, while Varlamov made the big save, Ovechkin scored, Semin and Backstrom each had two assists, and Tomas Fleischmann had the game-winner, Steckel's offensive contribution proved to be that little extra unanticipated boost that teams need in the playoffs.

It's the same every year: The game is tougher and tighter in the playoffs, which leads to increased reliance on role players. They get more ice time than during the regular season and the game suits their style of play a little better.

Look at the playoffs this year already: Chad LaRose was a point-a-per-game performer in the first round against the Devils and he ranks second on the Hurricanes in playoff scoring overall. The Blackhawks' David Bolland scored twice on Saturday in Vancouver, and the most obvious example of a role player stepping into the spotlight was the Ducks' Todd Marchant netting the game-winner on Sunday in the third overtime.

So, if everything else is equal -- goaltending, star contributions and special teams -- the Penguins need a boost from below the top-six demarcation.

That production must be consistent in this series in total because depth is a quiet, hidden strength of the Capitals. Bradley and Steckel, along with the likes of Brooks Laich and Boyd Gordon, give them good size and grit beyond the team's stars.

Ovechkin and Crosby will garner the headlines, but buried on the back page is the real story.

The team that gets more from their group of grinders will win this game . . . and the series.

---

Who are some of your favourite 'sudden playoff heroes'?

And who do you think will have their moment in the sun this year?

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey 1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I love these guys. Really, I do. I appreciate what these guys bring - and find myself cheering for them when they make an impact.

Yeah so do i .... they've come such a long way in two years ... they have a championship team now too!

It's been a long long time since bobby hull ... he got to the finals lots, but only actually won last in 61 i beleive ...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:Yeah so do i .... they've come such a long way in two years ... they have a championship team now too!

It's been a long long time since bobby hull ... he got to the finals lots, but only actually won last in 61 i beleive ...

1961 for the Blackhawks, Howie...I was six years old.

Their playoff heroes included one Reggie Fleming...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

For those who love hockey trivia and stories of the sudden glory of playoff heroes, who remembers Steve Payne?

From blogger Dan Leggieri:

Unlikely Stanley Cup Heroes

...Number nine on the list is one of two players to score the most goals in the playoffs while playing for a team that didn’t win the Stanley Cup.

Steve Payne scored 17 goals for the 1981 Minnesota North Stars, who lost to Mike Bossy’s New York Islanders in 5 games. (Bossy and Payne tied with 17 goals each in 1981)

Maybe the biggest surprise on the list is Reggie Leach, who potted 19 goals for the Philadelphia Flyers as they unsuccessfully defended their Stanley Cup title and lost to Ken Dryden and the Montreal Canadiens. Leach would score 4 times in the finals and would walk away as playoff MVP, a bitter-sweet moment for sure.

Payne and Leach were both very good players in their own right, but were never superstars in the league.

Most Playoff Goals In One Playoff Season:

1. 1985 Jari Kurri, Edmonton Oliers - 19
2. 1976 Reggie Leach, Philadelphia Flyers - 19
3. 1996 Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche - 18
4. 1981 Mike Bossy, New York Islanders - 17
5. 1982 Mike Bossy, New York Islanders - 17
6. 1983 Mike Bossy, New York Islanders - 17
7. 1985 Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers - 17
8. 1919 Newsy Lalonde, Montreal Canadiens - 17
9. 1981 Steve Payne, Minnesota North Stars - 17
10. 1991 Kevin Stevens, Pittsburgh Penguins - 17

Read more: "Most NHL Playoff Goals: Who Holds The Record For Most Goals Scored In One Playoff Season?" -
http://national-hockey-league-nhl.suite101.com/article.cfm/most_playoff_goals#ixzz0EbvgrUPq&A

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Jussi Jokinen...7 goals this season...5 goals this year in the playoffs including the OT killer against the B-Boyz.

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey Jussi-10

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's awesome to see some players step up and really thrive in the playoffs. it's equally interesting to see players who dominate the regular season just fade for no apparent reason in the post season.

Ahhhh the magic of the pressure of the Stanley Cup.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ANDREW LADD...a Stanley Cup Champion as a Hurricane rookie...a Stanley Cup Playoff Hero as a Chicago Blackhawk.

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey Ladd_w10

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

How about the Caps' OT hero and newfound scoring sensation 'Super Dave' Steckel?

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey Stecke10

Meanwhile, as shown in this photo from Super Dave's personal Photobucket album, his teammate Sergei "Badness" Federov seems to be doing some timely scoring as well...

The Glory of 'Sudden Heroes' in Playoff Hockey Sergei10

Last edited by davetherave on Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, who will be the Sudden Hero in Game 7?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

How bout Kane? He seemed to be pretty lost out there until last night, IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Patrick diddling Kane. Wow. :****:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:How bout Kane? He seemed to be pretty lost out there until last night, IMO.

Hmm...not sure about that one...8 goals in 11 games in the playoffs so far.

cool)

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:I love these guys. Really, I do. I appreciate what these guys bring - and find myself cheering for them when they make an impact.

Which guys are you talking about? The Hawks?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

davetherave wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:How bout Kane? He seemed to be pretty lost out there until last night, IMO.

Hmm...not sure about that one...8 goals in 11 games in the playoffs so far.

cool)

Facepalm Oh, I didn't realize. I didn't think he was doing THAT well. He's freaking amazing regardless. I just thought that he was being pretty quiet (for Kane) until last night.

What a great player he is, first hat trick for a Hawk in how long? Since 75 or something ridiculous.

Very heroic.

I love this Hawks team, there isn't 1 person I can think of that I don't like on that team. I really hope they can take it all this year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum