GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Buffalo Sabres - 7:30pm ET - Wed. Feb. 11th, 2009

+15
Hayden
Number Twenty Nine
caissie_1
The Silfer Server
PKC
Bramlet07
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
PTFlea
Cronie
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Jordo
shabbs
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Buffalo Sabres - 7:30pm ET - Wed. Feb. 11th, 2009 Sens_sabres1_400

The Sens roll into Buffalo on the back end of a home and home series that saw the Sens get their first win under Cory Clouston at home in OT on Sat night. This is the first game in a 5 game road trip that will see the Sens also play Philly, Minny, Nashville and Colorado.

When these two teams last met, Buffalo's Thomas Vanek broke his jaw from a Volchenkov slapshot and is expected to be out up to 5 weeks.

The Sens have certainly shown some improvement under Clouston and hopefully they are responding to his system and guidance. Would be refreshing to see the Sens start to play with some passion and drive.

Starting goalies as per http://goaliepost.com/
- Ottawa: Elliott (firm)
- Buffalo: Miller (probable)

TSN's Ice Chips: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009

With Thomas Vanek (broken jaw) out three to four weeks, head coach Lindy Ruff moved Derek Roy to the wing on a line with Tim Connolly and Drew Stafford during yesterday's practice. - Buffalo News

The Buffalo Sabres recalled forward Nathan Gerbe from the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League. - News Release
Game Day notes from the Ottawa Sun:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/02/11/8344366-sun.html

BLACK AND BLUE REPORT

SENATORS: C Cody Bass (shoulder surgery), out indefinitely; RW Chris Neil (calf), out indefinitely; D Alexandre Picard (wrist), day-to-day.

SABRES: F Maxim Afinogenov (groin), out indefinitely; D Andrej Sekera (ankle), day-to-day; D Henrik Tallinder (shoulder), won't play; C Paul Gaustad (upper body), day-to-day; LW Thomas Vanek (face), 4-6 weeks.

NOTE WORTHY

BUFFALO -- The Senators are 2-1-0 against the Sabres this season ... Ottawa LW Nick Foligno's goal in a 3-2 shootout win vs. the Sabres on Saturday gave him two goals in two straight games. That's eight this season which is a career high ... C Jason Spezza scored two goals (his 16th and 17th of the season) only 32 seconds apart during the second period of Ottawa's 4-2 loss to Buffalo on Jan. 6 ... The loss of LW Thomas Vanek, who was struck by a puck Saturday in Ottawa, is another blow to the Sabres. The club has already lost 163 man-games to injuries this season ... With Vanek out, Derek Roy was on the left side of Tim Connolly and Drew Stafford during practice Monday.

Other updates from the Ottawa Sun:

From: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/02/11/8344371-sun.html

LOOKING GOOD

Senators LW Nick Foligno appears to be a beneficiary of the coaching change. He's been seeing a little more ice time under new coach Cory Clouston and is coming off a two-point performance in Saturday's 3-2 shootout win over the Sabres. "I think I've just been playing well and that's helped out a little bit in that area," said Foligno. "I don't think before there were too many of us that I can say we were playing well and I was one of those guys. I just think with (Clouston) I feel comfortable. He has an idea of what I can do on the ice and it has just worked out that way. I'm just trying to do things I know he likes to see."

OFF THE GLASS

RW Shean Donovan and D Alex Picard will both probably be ready to return to the lineup tonight, but that doesn't mean they'll both play. While Donovan will likely come back after missing eight games with a knee injury he suffered in the club's skills competition on Jan. 18, Picard (wrist injury) might have to wait. Clouston said he's hesitant to change the club's blue line because the Senators are playing well defensively. "We'll see how (Picard's) injury is," said Clouston. "It's tough to break our (defencemen) up right now unless necessary. I thought our defence has played well the last couple of games. It's just going to be a matter of time before he works himself back into the lineup." If Donovan does return, RW/D Christoph Schubert will be a healthy scratch ... Clouston said he will use both Gs Brian Elliott and Alex Auld on this trip. "We're going to (need both)," said Clouston, who is expected to start Elliott tonight after he made 28 saves Saturday at home ... Captain Daniel Alfredsson said playing five games in seven days in three time zones will be a tough test, but not as difficult if the club has success on the trip early. "The energy level becomes much less of a question when you're winning because you're always upbeat,' said Alfredsson. "Everybody has a tough schedule in February."

Game is on TSN (HD), RDS (HD), NHLN-US, MSG-B (HD)

GO SENS GO!!!

Update: Elliott gets the start in net tonight.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/02/11/8352151.html

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info added.)

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Nice shabbs. Quick riser, I like it.

It should be a good game tonight, I can see the Sens winning this one w/ Vanek out. I'm going to say 4-1 Sens.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jordo wrote:Nice shabbs. Quick riser, I like it.
My daughter decided to get up at 5:30am this morning.

Wheeee...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

Wheeee...

My daughter decided to get up at 1:30am - Put soother back in

Again at 1:45am - Put soother back in

Again at 3:30am - Put soother back in

Again at 5:30am - Put soother back in

Again for good at 6:30am - Changed her gave her to Mom to feed.

Weeeeeeeee. good times.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My daughter decided to get up at 1:30am - Put soother back in

Again at 1:45am - Put soother back in

Again at 3:30am - Put soother back in

Again at 5:30am - Put soother back in

Again for good at 6:30am - Changed her gave her to Mom to feed.

Weeeeeeeee. good times.
Ahhh good times indeed.

Those little Sens fans...

Wink

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

Wheeee...

My daughter only gets up early on weekends, when I'M trying to sleep. Weekdays are a struggle to get her out of bed.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

ESPN's Comparison Stats for today's game...

From: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=290211002

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Buffalo Sabres - 7:30pm ET - Wed. Feb. 11th, 2009 Senssabresstatszd0

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thanks for laying out in visual form just how much our record stinks.

I still like our chances tonight. I expect an even better effort than the one on Saturday. I don't see a 2 nothing lead evaporating this time.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Thanks for laying out in visual form just how much our record stinks.
You want a stinker, here you go:

Sens current record: 18-25-8 for 44 points
On pace to finish with: 29-40-13 for 71 points

If we assume 94 points gets you into the playoffs (based on last year's
standings), the Sens would need to go on a 23-4-4 run to crank out 50
points in the next 31 games. That would give them a final record of
41-29-12 for 94 points.

Sigh...
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I still like our chances tonight. I expect an even better effort than the one on Saturday. I don't see a 2 nothing lead evaporating this time.
I do too for some reason. I'm anticipating a win.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

One good question is how the absence of Chris Neil will affect the team's readiness to compete. This season, Neil has been the only one, game in, game out, prepared to stand up for his fellow players. Many times he has tried to fire up the team singlehandedly by taking on the opponent's 'enforcers'.

Insofar as the 'new look' Senators are concerned, several times this season, there has been talk about this team 'turning the corner', 'ready to go on a roll', and other expressions of hope. This hope was elicited by 'mini-streaks', usually lasting four or five games, where the team played well. Credit was given more than once to the Senators executing Hartsburg's system with effective and sustained effort.

We saw this as recently as mid-January when the Sens picked up seven of eight points starting with a win over Carolina and ending with the win vs the Caps.

The same hope was generated at the end of November and the beginning of December when the Sens ended November with two wins and two shootout losses in their last five games, and then opening December winning games against Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

A similar pattern occurred at the end of October and beginning of November, with four regulation wins in five games.

Has anything really changed now with the Senators, with one loss, one OT loss and one shootout win in the first three games under the new coach?

Mr Clouston seems to doing his job well.

And the players? It remains to be seen.

With 34 games left, IMHO the Senators cannot blame anyone but themselves for the season they have had. Not as professionals being paid enormous amounts of money to play a sport that most of us have only ever played for free.

They shouldn't need anyone to 'crack the whip'.

With the playoffs now seemingly out of reach, there is only pride--and their jobs--left to play for.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

whoa... Well said Dave...

I had all this stuff to type, but you pretty much covered it all. 8)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Elliott goes tonight for the Sens.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/02/11/8352151.html

Auld likely for tomorrow's game in Philly.

First road game for Clouston, lets see if they play with the same energy not playing in front of the Ottawa crowd. I have no faith in this team so... haha

This season, they have struggled mightily after long layoffs. It'll be a big test tonight to see how they respond to the added time off. As early as the start of the season, I had hoped that the layoffs would give them time to nail down the system; instead, .... well, we all know what happened instead.
On this occassion, however, they've been given added time to dissect and understand a system that actually fits their style of play. It'll be a big test tonight to see how they respond.

btw Dave this is game 52 of the season, meaning they only have 31 games (tonight included) remaining. Also, I think there's pretty substantial evidence that Neils attempts to fire them up never really had the desired effect (not this season, anyways...) so I wouldn't worry too much about his absence - nor will I when he's wearing someone else's logo on his chest.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice Game Day Shabby!

The Sabres called the little man Nathan Gerber (he's so little and cute) up to play tonight.

The desired effect would be for Volchenkov to nail him to the wall and do a scientific experiment on what's left. Smile

PS I realize the irony when we have Tiny Ryan Shannon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum