GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

More on LA trade from Senschirp!!!

+10
Phoenix30
asq2
b33f
davetherave
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Jordo
BigRig
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

Looks like it's more fuel to the Spezza Fire....

Copied Directly from source
More on the Deal with the Kings

A couple days back I mentioned that the Senators were talking with the Los Angeles Kings about a deal that some might consider a block buster and here is what I have found.

No real surprise but the deal would revolve around Jason Spezza. Spezza rumours are so common and have been all season but I was told this one actually had some legs. The Kings have apparently had an interest in Spezza for quite some time and continue to talk to Murray about the star centre on a seemingly regular basis.

The key for Ottawa is Kings prospect Colton Teubert. The Senators are apparently quite high on the defensive prospect. Teubert was a 13th overall selection for the Kings and excelled on the international stage with the World Junior Team in Ottawa.

Depending on who you talk to the other piece would either be Kings goaltending prospect Jonathan Bernier or an offensive guy like Swedish star Oscar Moller. The last element of the deal involves draft picks and would see the Senators send the Sharks first round pick to Los Angeles in return for the Kings first round selection.

All rumours of course but that is how some suggest the deal might break down. Like many of the Spezza rumours I come across this one leaves the Senators with a huge hole at the centre position which makes me a little hesitant on the whole idea. And to be honest, the Kings possible interest in Spezza surprises me a little bit, especially given the monster contract just handed to another centre in Anze Kpoitar.

That being said, all sources seem to agree on one thing, that the Senators and Kings are talking.

Murray has come out today in the Ottawa Sun and stated that not everyone is available. That may be true but it certainly wont stop Murray from listening to offers for some of the team's star players. Im sure that if the right deal came along, everyone with the exception of Daniel Alfredsson of course, could be had.

2More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:33 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Not a big surprise here, I was hearing the EXACT same thing. I'm not sure about Bernier though, I'd be surprised if LA was so readily willing to give him up.

I would without a doubt do this deal in a heartbeat though. We're freeing up a lot of capspace, shaking up the team, and starting fresh. If we can draft Hedman at the draft, we are absolutely set.

Fisher-MacDonald?-Heatley
Alfredsson-Moller-_______
Regin-Kelly-Foligno
Donovan-McAmmond-Ruutu

Think about our future D:

Hedman-Karlsson
Teubert-Wercioch
Phillips-Volch

3More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I had heard the same deal recently. As far as a hockey trade goes, it's a pretty damn good value for the Sens.

4More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:37 am

Jordo wrote:Not a big surprise here, I was hearing the EXACT same thing. I'm not sure about Bernier though, I'd be surprised if LA was so readily willing to give him up.

I would without a doubt do this deal in a heartbeat though. We're freeing up a lot of capspace, shaking up the team, and starting fresh. If we can draft Hedman at the draft, we are absolutely set.

Regin-Kelly-Foligno
Donovan-McAmmond-Ruutu

Hedman-Karlsson
Teubert-Wercioch
Phillips-Volch

I like the look of that defence. I also think MacDonald is a nice player who could really rack up the points with some skilled players.

That Iafrate quote in your signature literally had me laughing out loud.

5More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bernier is struggling in the AHL this year as per Jimmy Fox. If you trade Spezza, you should at least get a 2nd liner back as part of any deal along with the upgraded 1st rounder, etc.

6More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 am

If that trade atually happens thats a great trade for Ottawa. It also opens up tons of cap space for 6 years.

7More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

hemlock wrote:
Jordo wrote:Not a big surprise here, I was hearing the EXACT same thing. I'm not sure about Bernier though, I'd be surprised if LA was so readily willing to give him up.

Regin-Kelly-Foligno
Donovan-McAmmond-Ruutu

Hedman-Karlsson
Teubert-Wercioch
Phillips-Volch

I like the look of that defence. I also think MacDonald is a nice player who could really rack up the points with some skilled players.

What's great is that we give up Spezza's entire contract for next to nothing. Some entry level contracts- we scoop another pick in the draft, which could very well be a good one (assuming LA doesn't make a late season charge). We lose Gerber's contract, Kuba's contract, most likely Neil's contract, Vermette's, we have a lot of loose change to go after a goalie/legit Dman, even after signing a name like Andy MacDonald

8More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How well-liked is Andy McDonald? The St. Louis broadcaster called him the "top priority" in the off-season for the Blues.

I love that guy! Make him a Senator, please.

9More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:I had heard the same deal recently. As far as a hockey trade goes, it's a pretty damn good value for the Sens.

The question remains, is IF it's really going to happen though....

and do we really want a guy like Bernier when it appears our need for goaltending would not be solved by him?

Between Bernier, Elliott and Auld, who would go? Eliott's getting a good look right now and Auld's a solid backup. Is Bernier better than both of them? not right now, he isn't.

If we go goalie shoping it's for a 1#, not a "future 1#" or a 1A.

10More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am

Jordo wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Regin-Kelly-Foligno
Donovan-McAmmond-Ruutu

Hedman-Karlsson
Teubert-Wercioch
Phillips-Volch

What's great is that we give up Spezza's entire contract for next to nothing. Some entry level contracts- we scoop another pick in the draft, which could very well be a good one (assuming LA doesn't make a late season charge). We lose Gerber's contract, Kuba's contract, most likely Neil's contract, Vermette's, we have a lot of loose change to go after a goalie/legit Dman, even after signing a name like Andy MacDonald

Couple points though. Would LA take on Spezza's salary without sending back some? I'd say a guy like O'Sullivan may have to come back. They had problems extending him earlier this year, and got it done finally on the eve of training camp. Kuba has a NTC and will have to waive to go anywhere. I don't think it will be a problem. I doubt his Ottawa roots are very deep at all, but the reason he waived to come to Ottawa in the first place was because it's a hockey market and he wanted to come to one. He may not be inclined to waive to go to a non-hockey market. He doesn't owe the Sens anything (except for maybe increasing his value a little come July 1), and could easily just ride out the Dung storm in Ottawa, then sign somewhere for big dollars.

11More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BigRig77 wrote:
The question remains, is IF it's really going to happen though....

and do we really want a guy like Bernier when it appears our need for goaltending would not be solved by him?

Between Bernier, Elliott and Auld, who would go? Eliott's getting a good look right now and Auld's a solid backup. Is Bernier better than both of them? not right now, he isn't.

If we go goalie shoping it's for a 1#, not a "future 1#" or a 1A.

I don't understand why LA would want Spezza to begin with when they have Kopitar to be honest. I don't get it.

However...getting Bernier would make Elliot expendable for sure. Or you turn around and move Bernier for a number one goalie now. Or..you keep both Elliot and Bernier and cross your fingers.

This move would key around us signing McDonald in July though - and as much as Murray loves him and he respects Murray, I hate having to rely on free agency.

Teubert is very solid though..dude, he and Volchenkov would literally kill guys for years to come. Coupled with Karlsson and Wiercioch and possibly Hedman, we'd look good down the road.

We'd hopefully have the $$ to attract a stud D-man here as well - either via trade or in free agency, because IMO we're still one seasoned number one away from the mini-rebuild - actually probably 2 - but one step at a time.

They key to the deal is LA's first as well. Man...it's quite the package.

12More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

I know that all teams can't spend up to the cap, but LA has 13 million in cap space right now. That cuts it in half, but they can keep O'Sullivan who has been playing fairly well. If they scratch Moller and give us O'Sullivan, I'm still okay with that. He's only on a 3 mil contract for a few more years..

13More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Bernier who? Is he actually a good prospect? Do we need another 'Prospect'? I wouldn't do this at all. I'd wait until Giguere or Backstrom or anyone else that has proven themselves in goal.

14More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Alright, so I just looked Bernier up. Thanks but no thanks.

15More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Empty Re: More on LA trade from Senschirp!!! Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Backstrom is actually a great idea. I wonder if Minny will go with Harding - and if they do, can we get Backstrom - and if so, how much $$? 5 million X 2 years? 3 years?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum