GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ St. Louis Blues - 8:30pm - Jan. 29th, 2009

+18
Laker
TeamRenzo
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Jordo
asq2
LeCaptain
smash88
wprager
rooneypoo
Number Twenty Nine
caissie_1
Cronie
PTFlea
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:Actually, that might be a good deal for Garth Snow...and for the Senators.

Say we do this trade and get the Isles 1st pick! We are not getting Tavares for sure so it's still a risk. But ideally we will get two top 5 with that trade...

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:I don't care where the Sens finish so long as they win that coveted lottery! Wink

Best case scenario: We win the lottery with the Isles winning the #2 pick. We then flip the #1 pick for the #2 and say, a #1 in 2010. That way we still get Hedman, and a real shot at Hall in 2010. That draft should be pretty nice at the top as well. :D

Best case scenario (provided by my buddy):

Trade Spezza and Heatley for the Islanders #1 overall. Get the 2nd overall pick. Draft Hedman and Tavares. Suck next year as well. Draft Hall. Karlsson comes up, Wiercioch comes up. We kill it.

Oh man, that would SICK!!! although, to write off another year would be extremely painful for me, but if results came quickly thereafter, well, what are you waiting for Murray.

I would take Hedman over Tavares anyways. Either way you end up with a top tier tallent to build a team around, no worries there. You should be building from the back end forward to begin with.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

a one-two punch of Karlsson and Hedman would be FREAKIN' SWEET!!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Actually, that might be a good deal for Garth Snow...and for the Senators.

Say we do this trade and get the Isles 1st pick! We are not getting Tavares for sure so it's still a risk. But ideally we will get two top 5 with that trade...

The Isles most definitely have the cap space for Spezza, and will have even more with Guerin, Weight, Comrie, and Sillinger off the books in June--over 20MM to spend.

Their 2008 #1 C Josh Bailey would be interesting as part of that potential package.
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?6604

But is such a deal within the realm of possibility?

Anything is possible in NYI. They are going to have to start doing something to get the fans excitted again, other wise they will be known as the Kansas City Scouts.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's definitely a possible trade. The only thing blocking it would be Dany Heatley laughing at you and saying that there's no chance he goes to Kansas City or Hartford or whereever this putrid little franchise ends up.

It's a massive one though. And yes, Okposo or Bailey would have to be part of it as well.

But...yeah...getting NHL GMs to think outside of the box like this is a monumental task. Getting them to agree on something like this is probably impossible in this NHL.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:
davetherave wrote:Thx MOI...BTW I watched the Pens-Rangers last night as well. Best game the Penguins have played in weeks. I'm not a Crosby fan, but he really looked focused last night, and scored an absolutely beautiful goal that nailed it shut.

Watching the teams back from the break, it's clear the Senators will have an extremely difficult time scraping together wins in the second half.

Right now, there are four teams (Buffalo, Florida, Pittsburgh, Carolina) fighting for the last two playoff spots in the East, and Rick Tocchet now has the Lightning lit up with seven wins in their last ten, ready to make a run for a berth as well.

In the West, from Phoenix on down, all ten (and you could even include St Louis) teams have more than a mathematical chance of making the post season.

Not one of them will be a laydown for the Senators, and all of them have better records.

IMHO anything less than maximum effort, every minute of every game, will bury Ottawa at the bottom of the standings.

I really dislike Crosby but as I said yesterday if Spezza had a dose of his compete level, Spezza would be a better player than Crosby and I honestly believe that. Problem is you can't teach compete.

As far as this club making the playoffs... if they did go on a magical, miraculous run, they would have nothing in the tank for a tough playoff series. It is plain and simple. When the if's line up back to back you can barely make out playoffs from the best vantage point, you can't even see a victory in a playoff round and anything beyond that is ludicrously out of the question.

right now, both Heatley and Spezza have more goals than Crosby...and that's playing on a crap disinterested team.....

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:The Isles most definitely have the cap space for Spezza, and will have even more with Guerin, Weight, Comrie, and Sillinger off the books in June--over 20MM to spend.

Their 2008 #1 C Josh Bailey would be interesting as part of that potential package.
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?6604

But is such a deal within the realm of possibility?

The Isles essentially have to come up with a roster. Their prospects are thin as well. Josh Bailey may be their best, but he's hit and miss. They can keep him for all I care.

Here's what I came up with a couple of weeks ago:

Spezza (or Heatley), Kelly, Lee, Schubert and SJ 1st

for Hunter, Park, Streit and NYI 1st

They could redeem themselves from the Yashin trade to some degree by gettin Spezza, some young NHLers and they still get to pick in the 1st round and we get a gritty, scoring winger a short-term replacement for Kelly and a PMD who has proven most skeptics wrong and we move up in the draft.

It solves a lot of our problems, we keep Heatley (or Spezza) we don't suck next year (which obviously isn't an option anyway), we keep our pick.

It needs a little work, but I think it's a good start.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

ESPN's Comparison Stats...

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ St. Louis Blues - 8:30pm - Jan. 29th, 2009 - Page 3 Sensbluesstatswz7

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:ESPN's Comparison Stats...

Those eggheads forgot one important stat:

Chris Neil = WIN

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:I don't care where the Sens finish so long as they win that coveted lottery! Wink

Best case scenario: We win the lottery with the Isles winning the #2 pick. We then flip the #1 pick for the #2 and say, a #1 in 2010. That way we still get Hedman, and a real shot at Hall in 2010. That draft should be pretty nice at the top as well. :D

Best case scenario (provided by my buddy):

Trade Spezza and Heatley for the Islanders #1 overall. Get the 2nd overall pick. Draft Hedman and Tavares. Suck next year as well. Draft Hall. Karlsson comes up, Wiercioch comes up. We kill it.

Trade Spezza AND Heatley for 1 1st round pick? Here's my answer to that: complete Diddle insanity. Either guy is worth that pick+++.

I know it's hard to focus on these things right now with them (and the entire team) playing badly, but re-adjust the TV set, man: as perennial PPG+ players, Spezza and Heatley are still among the NHL's elite. You don't trade 2 birds-in-hand for 1 bird-in-the-bush, let alone 1 bird-in-hand for 2 birds-in-the-bush.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How about one hand in or around the bush?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

One of Spezza or Heatley is going to move and basically has to.

Ill say it again, Spezza is a career loser to this point and winning is something you learn how to do... Who here is going to teach him? He might reach his potential somewhere but IMO it wont be in Ottawa.

Heatley, well, I dont feel much different about him but he has back to back 50 goal seasons, World Championships, mulitple all-star appearences, so its a little easier to defend him.

Fact being they both just signed their career contracts and seem like they have no motivation anymore. They have reach their pinicle finacially and it seems they are both all about the money.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:How about one hand in or around the bush?

LOL...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I love how the next Game day topic after a win is all about "How to stop X how to score on Y". And the game day topic after a loss is "Trade X for Y and a 1st, or Prospect Z won't be ready before X years :lol!:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:

right now, both Heatley and Spezza have more goals than Crosby...and that's playing on a crap disinterested team.....

Not to wave a Crosby flag, but Spezza and Heatley's goals don't translate into leadership and don't add up to progress in the standings.

Here are the stats:

Penguins 24-21-4 52 pts
Senators 16-22-7 39 pts

Crosby 18-46-64 2nd in scoring
Heatley 21-22-43 32nd in scoring
Spezza 18-20-38 48th in scoring

Crosby may annoy some people, but Mssrs Spezza and Heatley have yet to show they are his equal.

"A crap disinterested team"? Maybe it's Jason and Dany who are disinterested...?

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum