GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ St. Louis Blues - 8:30pm - Jan. 29th, 2009

+18
Laker
TeamRenzo
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Jordo
asq2
LeCaptain
smash88
wprager
rooneypoo
Number Twenty Nine
caissie_1
Cronie
PTFlea
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

davetherave wrote:Thx MOI...BTW I watched the Pens-Rangers last night as well. Best game the Penguins have played in weeks. I'm not a Crosby fan, but he really looked focused last night, and scored an absolutely beautiful goal that nailed it shut.

Watching the teams back from the break, it's clear the Senators will have an extremely difficult time scraping together wins in the second half.

Right now, there are four teams (Buffalo, Florida, Pittsburgh, Carolina) fighting for the last two playoff spots in the East, and Rick Tocchet now has the Lightning lit up with seven wins in their last ten, ready to make a run for a berth as well.

In the West, from Phoenix on down, all ten (and you could even include St Louis) teams have more than a mathematical chance of making the post season.

Not one of them will be a laydown for the Senators, and all of them have better records.

IMHO anything less than maximum effort, every minute of every game, will bury Ottawa at the bottom of the standings.

I really dislike Crosby but as I said yesterday if Spezza had a dose of his compete level, Spezza would be a better player than Crosby and I honestly believe that. Problem is you can't teach compete.

As far as this club making the playoffs... if they did go on a magical, miraculous run, they would have nothing in the tank for a tough playoff series. It is plain and simple. When the if's line up back to back you can barely make out playoffs from the best vantage point, you can't even see a victory in a playoff round and anything beyond that is ludicrously out of the question.

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't care where the Sens finish so long as they win that coveted lottery! Wink

davetherave wrote:Hmm...I watch Blues games fairly regularly on NHL Gamecenter and I would respectfully disagree with the Cap'n's dismissal of this team.

The Blues don't have the available talent, due to critical injuries to many of their best players (Johnson, Brewer, Kariya, McDonald, Polak) to win consistently in the West. But they are well coached by Andy Murray, and play an intense, disciplined game.

Their January record (5-3-1) is markedly superior to the Senators' (3-5-2), and they have beaten more than a few strong teams in Boston, Chicago, and Columbus.
http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/schedule.cgi?StL

Goaltending has been an issue for them, but both Manny Legace and Chris Mason can come with an excellent performance, (as Mason did against the Hawks).

The Blues play tough. Keith Tkachuk fires them up, and they have dangerous forwards like David Perron, David Backes, and Patrik Berglund to name a few.

The Blues have a definite edge, and the Senators will have to perform with a lot more conviction than they did against Jersey.

Just out of curiousity, do you subscribe to NHL Gamecentre? A coworker of mine uses a site called hockeystreams.com. It's much cheaper and the quality is outstanding. They've even got HD. Check it out.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:I don't care where the Sens finish so long as they win that coveted lottery! Wink

You need to put that little dancing Stewie in a post if we do win that Lottery pick.

- Unknown Author

Cronenbergfan wrote:I don't care where the Sens finish so long as they win that coveted lottery! Wink

Best case scenario: We win the lottery with the Isles winning the #2 pick. We then flip the #1 pick for the #2 and say, a #1 in 2010. That way we still get Hedman, and a real shot at Hall in 2010. That draft should be pretty nice at the top as well. :D

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You need to put that little dancing Stewie in a post if we do win that Lottery pick.

Consider it done!!

Now, for poops and giggles, let's assume the Sens win the first overall pick...
Would ANYONE be pissed if they chose Hedman over Tavares? or vice versa?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Consider it done!!

I think Hemlock answered this one quite nicely.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

Just out of curiousity, do you subscribe to NHL Gamecentre? A coworker of mine uses a site called hockeystreams.com. It's much cheaper and the quality is outstanding. They've even got HD. Check it out.

Thanks Hem, I do subscribe to NHLGamecenter, and I will check out hockeystreams.com.

I've also used http://atdhe.net/ which gives you the local TV feeds, also free.

:D

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Best case scenario: We win the lottery with the Isles winning the #2 pick. We then flip the #1 pick for the #2 and say, a #1 in 2010. That way we still get Hedman, and a real shot at Hall in 2010. That draft should be pretty nice at the top as well. :D

Good scenario. I agree Hedman is the better choice if available. He was injured in the WJC, but still impressed. IMHO he would make Senators fans forget all about Chara.
8)

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

But would the Isles give up a 1st pick in 2010 to move up to the number 1 spot. I find that's giving up alot but would love to see it happen!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Consider it done!!

I think Hemlock answered this one quite nicely.

Yeah, I just saw that.

Given the scenario Hemy put forth, I think that's a great scenario, but like Caissie said, would the Isles do it?

Plus, if what I heard was true, and if Murray could unload his dump-list for a plethora of picks and such, we could make out like bandits at this year's draft... who knows...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

Best case scenario (provided by my buddy):

Trade Spezza and Heatley for the Islanders #1 overall. Get the 2nd overall pick. Draft Hedman and Tavares. Suck next year as well. Draft Hall. Karlsson comes up, Wiercioch comes up. We kill it.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Jason Spezza to the Islanders...now that's 'hockey karma'.
Wink

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Jason Spezza to the Islanders...now that's 'hockey karma'.
Wink

LOL. Yeah, big time.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Actually, that might be a good deal for Garth Snow...and for the Senators.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:Actually, that might be a good deal for Garth Snow...and for the Senators.

Say we do this trade and get the Isles 1st pick! We are not getting Tavares for sure so it's still a risk. But ideally we will get two top 5 with that trade...

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Best case scenario (provided by my buddy):

Trade Spezza and Heatley for the Islanders #1 overall. Get the 2nd overall pick. Draft Hedman and Tavares. Suck next year as well. Draft Hall. Karlsson comes up, Wiercioch comes up. We kill it.

Oh man, that would SICK!!! although, to write off another year would be extremely painful for me, but if results came quickly thereafter, well, what are you waiting for Murray.

I would take Hedman over Tavares anyways. Either way you end up with a top tier tallent to build a team around, no worries there. You should be building from the back end forward to begin with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum