GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Time NHL team

+5
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
asq2
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

It's nearly impossible to do this for the entire history of the NHL.

You should break it down into decades, but figuring out where to place players that spanned decades might be tricky. Could also do an all-star format of East vs. West, using the players most played in conference as their team.

17All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:17 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Take that lineup and play them against this one and let's talk about who'd win:

Alex Ovechkin - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla
Henrik Zetterberg - Evgeni Malkin - Vincent Lecavalier
Dany Heatley - Pavel Datsyuk - Rick Nash
Ilya Kovalchuk - Marc Savard - Patrick Kane

Ryan Getzlaf
Jeff Carter

Nicklas Lidstrom - Zdeno Chara
Chris Pronger - Dion Phaneuf
Dan Boyle - Shea Weber

Scott Niedermayer
Rob Blake

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Henrik Lundqvist

Evgeni Nabokov

This is a lineup put together in about 10 minutes.

18All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

I wonder about moving Datsyuk off that line, and putting Getzlaf there, only because of how they played together at the WC. But then I couldn't tell you where Datsyuk should go, because he needs to be there too.

As an aside, it'd also be interesting to put together a "biggest bust" line-up - those players who ended up furthest below expectations (I'd presume that they'd all be top five picks like Yashin, Daigle, Bonk...hmmmm....I'm seeing I trend I don't like...)

19All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:03 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:I wonder about moving Datsyuk off that line, and putting Getzlaf there, only because of how they played together at the WC. But then I couldn't tell you where Datsyuk should go, because he needs to be there too.

As an aside, it'd also be interesting to put together a "biggest bust" line-up - those players who ended up furthest below expectations (I'd presume that they'd all be top five picks like Yashin, Daigle, Bonk...hmmmm....I'm seeing I trend I don't like...)

How is Yashin a bust? Greedy, certainly, but 781 career points, a 94 point season in the old NHL doesn't make him a bust IMO.

You're looking at names like Aki Berg, Brian Lawton, Neil Brady (another Sen), Daniel Dore, Alexandre Volchkov, and Pavel Brendl more than a Yashin.

20All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

"Bust" may be the wrong word, but I was thinking of what he was expected to do, and the fact that he came up far short of the bar (or maybe I'm just looking back through foggy glasses.)

21All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:36 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

In terms of the player he was, Yashin was for a long time the best player in the history of the franchise IMO.

It was only after the lock-out with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson that we can begin to look past him. Or perhaps Hossa, but that's a tough call.

Yashin as a player was exactly what we hoped he'd be. Yashin as a person was not.

22All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Geez, this will really date me... :farao:

Jacques Plante

Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey

Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull

Lucky enough to have watched 'em all play, and still think they'd beat anybody who's come and gone since.
:pirat:

23All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:24 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

Dale Hawerchuk- Gretzky- Messier

Lidstrom - Orr

meh put this together in three seconds i'm sure there are a million other combos that are just as good if not better!

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

24All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 pm

is no one else going to do a full roster? Razz

25All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:04 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:is no one else going to do a full roster? Razz

Hey, it's hard enough to pick a starting lineup...are you buying beer for everybody? Smile

26All Time NHL team - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time NHL team Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:In terms of the player he was, Yashin was for a long time the best player in the history of the franchise IMO.

It was only after the lock-out with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson that we can begin to look past him. Or perhaps Hossa, but that's a tough call.

Yashin as a player was exactly what we hoped he'd be. Yashin as a person was not.

Perhaps my expectations of him were higher, and my interpretation of his accomplishments are lesser, then.
He put up points, but I never saw him excel as a "team player". He didn't appear to make others better. He didn't seem to lead, by voice or by example.
This is my opinion, but I am certainly open to being educated, if the facts demonstrate otherwise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum