GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa-Florida rumor

+9
shabbs
PKC
SensGirl11
BigRig
Mojo
dennycrane
asq2
Acrobat
Riprock
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BigRig77 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:EDIT: Oops, I see Shabbs beat me to this... Smile
Quick on the draw...

Wink

just to prove I'm not losing it.....

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=33c31532-38ed-41b7-851a-432ea5818b91

Spezza's NTC kicks in THIS year....

don't go trusting a Hockbuzz site (NHLSCAP)!
Interesting...

Anyone got Murray's phone number? Or Spezza's agent's?

Wink

32Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I remember Murray answering about trading Spezza last year, after the playoffs (maybe closer to the summer). His answer was: His NTC doesn't kick in until next summer, so we're ok there for now.

33Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 am

BigRig

Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
BigRig77 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Quick on the draw...

Wink

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=33c31532-38ed-41b7-851a-432ea5818b91

Interesting...

Anyone got Murray's phone number? Or Spezza's agent's?

Wink

maybe what cause the confusion is Fisher's NTC ENDS after 2009-2010?

34Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:40 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

BigRig77 wrote:maybe what cause the confusion is Fisher's NTC ENDS after 2009-2010?

I'm more confused about why an NTC for Mike Fisher ever started!

That should be a deal sweetener for a player that takes a discount.

35Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
BigRig77 wrote:maybe what cause the confusion is Fisher's NTC ENDS after 2009-2010?

I'm more confused about why an NTC for Mike Fisher ever started!

That should be a deal sweetener for a player that takes a discount.
Yeah, NTC's are normally an incentive for taking a lower salary.

"You want control... fine, then we'll knock a mill or so off your salary."

Does not seem to be happening in this day and age of over-paying players with long contracts based on a short evaluation.

36Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

BigRig77 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Quick on the draw...

Wink

The easy way to settle this is to just figure out how long Spezza's been playing pro hockey. Under the new CBA, a player becomes eligible for UFA in the NHL after 7 years of pro hockey experience. Spezza has a NTC to cover his UFA years of the deal only -- the CBA won't allow RFAs to have NTC/NMCs -- so his NTC contract kicks in after his RFA years would have been up and when he would have been eligible for UFA.

Looking it over, then, you're definitely right: Spezza was drafted in 2001, and started playing pro hockey in 2002. His 7 years are up at the end of this year, meaning that his NTC must kick in this coming July.

Anyway, in defence of NHLSCAP.com: while it features on the HB site, NHLSCAP is actually run independently by Chip McLeary, who works for the NHL in an official capacity, and who ran the site independently of HB for quite some time. As I understand it, he is the key guy in the NHL when it comes to all things salary-cap. Don't let this one mistake, or its association with HB, discredit the whole site. McLeary does good work, although it does look to me like he's not paying full attention to his site at the moment.

37Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:30 am

I am not sure why they need a union. They seem to take advantage of the GMs at the negotiating table too. It is a joke.

It is a system that is out of touch with the rest of the world. Could you imagine telling your boss....

I am going to work here for 6 years no matter what and you are going to pay me for what I have the potential of doing, not what I have proven. Additionally when I have to go on the road I will require a suite because I have worked in the industry for 5 years. Also I will not be forced to work overtime or harder because of my lack of effort or else I will file a grievance with my union. Plus you are not allowed to transfer me anywhere else unless I say so. You cannot punish me for lack of performance or reassign me. Otherwise you will have to pay out a large percentage of my contract... we good? Now run and get me a coffee.

38Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 am

You should seriously send that to Koulie ^

39Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Spezza was just on Hockeycentral at Noon and indicated his NTC kicks in on July 1st. So it is 2009 and nhlscap.com is wrong.

40Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Did he say anything of interest, other than that?

41Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Spezza was just on Hockeycentral at Noon and indicated his NTC kicks in on July 1st. So it is 2009 and nhlscap.com is wrong.

In what context did he have to bring up his NTC?

42Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Spezza was just on Hockeycentral at Noon and indicated his NTC kicks in on July 1st. So it is 2009 and nhlscap.com is wrong.

They were talking about Vinny trade rumours and all the Spezza trade rumours and Kypreos was just confirming when in kicked in.

43Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

They were talking about Vinny trade rumours and all the Spezza trade rumours and Kypreos was just confirming when in kicked in.

I just saw Brian Lawton for the first time last night. I honestly can't believe anything that guy says.

I know, I'm being judgemental, but I just get that vibe.

44Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's the hair...

45Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Just to clarify, the person who told me the rumor was passing it on from what he had heard coming out of Florida. He didn't think there was much to it, just felt the need to tell me because he knows I am a Sens fan.

What he said about Spezza being a #2 center was his opinion, and he is a fan of Jason. I disagreed with him, but what can you do.

Now, if there was more to this trade, other than what I was told, then maybe I could believe it as well. Like if it was Jason Spezza + 2nd rnd pick for Jay Bouwmeester + Nathan Horton (who can also play center) then maybe you got a deal.

I am just posting things I hear, ridiculous or not. As I have already said, I disagreed with his opinions on Spezza as well as thought this trade rumor made no sense at all from many positions, much like all of you already know.

46Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:I am not sure why they need a union. They seem to take advantage of the GMs at the negotiating table too. It is a joke.

It is a system that is out of touch with the rest of the world. Could you imagine telling your boss....

I am going to work here for 6 years no matter what and you are going to pay me for what I have the potential of doing, not what I have proven. Additionally when I have to go on the road I will require a suite because I have worked in the industry for 5 years. Also I will not be forced to work overtime or harder because of my lack of effort or else I will file a grievance with my union. Plus you are not allowed to transfer me anywhere else unless I say so. You cannot punish me for lack of performance or reassign me. Otherwise you will have to pay out a large percentage of my contract... we good? Now run and get me a coffee.

Sounds like a cushy government job. 8)

47Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

See my post above. It's a settled point.

48Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:42 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

DashRiprock wrote:Just to clarify, the person who told me the rumor was passing it on from what he had heard coming out of Florida. He didn't think there was much to it, just felt the need to tell me because he knows I am a Sens fan.

What he said about Spezza being a #2 center was his opinion, and he is a fan of Jason. I disagreed with him, but what can you do.

Now, if there was more to this trade, other than what I was told, then maybe I could believe it as well. Like if it was Jason Spezza + 2nd rnd pick for Jay Bouwmeester + Nathan Horton (who can also play center) then maybe you got a deal.

I am just posting things I hear, ridiculous or not. As I have already said, I disagreed with his opinions on Spezza as well as thought this trade rumor made no sense at all from many positions, much like all of you already know.

Now that would make much more sense, if there was a deal already in place for J-Bo.

Personally though, there are very few players I would trade Spezza for, we must build around him, not trade him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum