GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa-Florida rumor

+9
shabbs
PKC
SensGirl11
BigRig
Mojo
dennycrane
asq2
Acrobat
Riprock
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:03 am

asq2 wrote:Laughable.

We could just sign Bouw in the off-season.

Why the **** would we have to throw in a 2nd as well? Suspect

Or give up our franchise centre for a pending UFA?

Laughable is quite accurate.

17Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:37 am

BigRig

Rookie
Rookie

cash wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:(though my source says Spezza is not a #1 center. Maybe on Ottawa he is, but on a GOOD team he isn't. He didn't deny Spezza is great, just not a #1 center on a good team)
Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Other than Detroit and Pittsburgh, there is no team in the league lucky enough to have two centers of Spezza's calibre. Most would settle for just one.

Everyone is under this impression that Spezza's NTC kicks in this summer, but they are wrong. It doesn't kick in until July 2010. There is still plenty of time to allow him to make himself untradeable or at least search out a better deal.
Giving away a 2nd with him is just retarded. Your source should be officially discounted. This will never happen.

good points there BUT his NTC does, in fact,kick in 2009. Murray and Melnyk have got 5 months to decide if they go ahead with this investment....

come to think of it, Vinny's is the same scenario in Tampa (for a lot more money though). It'll be interesting to see which team does not go through with (Tampa) it!

18Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 am

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

DashRiprock wrote:Hey, just wanted to pass on a rumor I was just informed about from a source.

This rumor comes out of Florida, and it is Spezza and a 2nd-rnd pick for Jay Bouwmeester. Apparently Florida would want to trade Spezza at the deadline or prior to his NTC as they think he could fetch a greater return?

I don't believe this rumor though, because as we know Spezza is not a Martin player, though the flipping part would make sense. But I also don't get is that Bouwmeester could likely get a greater return than Spezza, no?
Also, Why does Ottawa give up a #1 center (though my source says Spezza is not a #1 center. Maybe on Ottawa he is, but on a GOOD team he isn't. He didn't deny Spezza is great, just not a #1 center on a good team) for a UFA defenceman? Obviously an extension would have to be in place. But including a second as well? Is Bouwmeester really that more valuable? If so, why would Florida think they could get more for Spezza?

Are you being serious about this? I think your source has S for B's. Do you really thank that a J-Bo for Spezza straight up is fair? Spezza signed long term, J-Bo a UFA...that probably wouldn't sign with us anyway. That is absolutely NOT a fair deal at all. I don't know where this supposed 'source' gets his info from, but that's completely and utterly laughable. Oh yeah, and on the point of Spezza not being a No 1 center, is probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Wow, this is just too funny...I don't even know why I bothered responding to this... 🇳🇴

19Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:19 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I read this yesterday, and it offended my intelligence to the point where I reckoned a reply was not the correct course of action to take.

20Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 am

SensGirl11 wrote:
Are you being serious about this? I think your source has S for B's. Do you really thank that a J-Bo for Spezza straight up is fair? Spezza signed long term, J-Bo a UFA...that probably wouldn't sign with us anyway. That is absolutely NOT a fair deal at all. I don't know where this supposed 'source' gets his info from, but that's completely and utterly laughable. Oh yeah, and on the point of Spezza not being a No 1 center, is probably the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Wow, this is just too funny...I don't even know why I bothered responding to this... 🇳🇴

Can't agree more. Short of J-Bow agreeing to a 4-5 year deal at something like 24-30 million I'm not doing this. The deal would have to be in place before any deal was made, but not only that, I would want something else back.

Ottawa isn't dealing from a position of strength, but Florida is in a much worse spot. They are about to lose another major player and their owner doesn't have much money. You could probably squeeze another prospect or their 1st round pick out of them as well.

**Edit**

By saying that they don't have much money, I mean that both Florida and Tampa are not attracting much in the way of ticket sales and have already release significant portions of their non-hockey related staff.

21Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:28 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BigRig77 wrote:good points there BUT his NTC does, in fact,kick in 2009. Murray and Melnyk have got 5 months to decide if they go ahead with this investment....
The only place I've seen that documents players NTC's/NMC's is nhlscap.com and there it says:

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Mike Fisher, OTT - NMC [NMC for 2008-09 to 2010-11, limited NTC for 2011-12
and 2012-13]

Dany Heatley, OTT - NMC
Chris Phillips, OTT - NTC
Jason Spezza, OTT - NTC [starting July 1, 2010]

Do we have an official statement as to when Spezza's NTC kicks in?

22Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

BigRig77 wrote:

good points there BUT his NTC does, in fact,kick in 2009. Murray and Melnyk have got 5 months to decide if they go ahead with this investment....

come to think of it, Vinny's is the same scenario in Tampa (for a lot more money though). It'll be interesting to see which team does not go through with (Tampa) it!

Where are you reading this? Every source I know has Spezza's NTC kicking in in July 1, 2010. See NHLSCAP.com, for instance: http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm.

EDIT: Oops, I see Shabbs beat me to this... Smile

Last edited by rooneypoo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

23Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:Another reason I don't buy it is, Ottawa likely wants to shed salary, so you trade Spezza's $7-mil only to replace it with likely the same, possibly more with Bouwmeester?

Not nearly as much as Florida wants to. If there were other players involved, I'd almost believe it. Except I can't imagine Jacques Martin wanting Spezza.

24Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Another reason I don't buy it is, Ottawa likely wants to shed salary, so you trade Spezza's $7-mil only to replace it with likely the same, possibly more with Bouwmeester?

Not nearly as much as Florida wants to. If there were other players involved, I'd almost believe it. Except I can't imagine Jacques Martin wanting Spezza.

On the other hand, Martin isn't the coach anymore. I can't see many one-on-one moments involving Spezza and Martin.

I would only do this deal if Horton was part of it, or Booth if not Horton. Basically a talented offensive player or prospect must be part of any deal involving Spezza and Bouwmeester.

25Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Snuh wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

On the other hand, Martin isn't the coach anymore. I can't see many one-on-one moments involving Spezza and Martin.

I would only do this deal if Horton was part of it, or Booth if not Horton. Basically a talented offensive player or prospect must be part of any deal involving Spezza and Bouwmeester.

Martin is the GM and he calls the shots on player personnel. Unless DeBoer has input?

I wouldn't have considered Booth because I think he's in line for a big raise. I think the candidates would more likely be Horton or Weiss. Maybe Martin asks for Phillips? Kelly? Anyone else?

26Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:53 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
BigRig77 wrote:

Where are you reading this? Every source I know has Spezza's NTC kicking in in July 1, 2010. See NHLSCAP.com, for instance: http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm.

EDIT: Oops, I see Shabbs beat me to this... Smile

could've sworn it's been mentioned in OttawaSun and all kinds of articles...I must be wrong then? Maybe Boo Boo's wrong too (gee, there's a shock, eh?)

27Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:EDIT: Oops, I see Shabbs beat me to this... Smile
Quick on the draw...

Wink

28Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Snuh wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Martin is the GM and he calls the shots on player personnel. Unless DeBoer has input?

I wouldn't have considered Booth because I think he's in line for a big raise. I think the candidates would more likely be Horton or Weiss. Maybe Martin asks for Phillips? Kelly? Anyone else?

I'm sure DeBoer has a bit of input. My point is that Martin and Spezza haven't gotten along in the past, but that's because Martin (when coaching the Sens) didn't have a lot of faith in his defensive game, and didn't play him enough. Spezza wouldn't have to deal with that because DeBoer is behind the bench and calls the on-ice shots.

Martin is ga-ga for Fisher too. Maybe he'd go for Fisher for Bouwmeester staright up. Would you do that?

29Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Snuh wrote:Martin is ga-ga for Fisher too. Maybe he'd go for Fisher for Bouwmeester staright up. Would you do that?

Sideways deal salary-wise. I agree that Martin is ga-ga for Mighty Mike, but I'm sure he has a firm cost-cutting mandate too.

Moving Fisher would be like winning the lottery.

30Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
Quick on the draw...

Wink

just to prove I'm not losing it.....

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=33c31532-38ed-41b7-851a-432ea5818b91

Spezza's NTC kicks in THIS year....

don't go trusting a Hockbuzz site (NHLSCAP)!

31Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BigRig77 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Quick on the draw...

Wink

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=33c31532-38ed-41b7-851a-432ea5818b91

Interesting...

Anyone got Murray's phone number? Or Spezza's agent's?

Wink

32Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I remember Murray answering about trading Spezza last year, after the playoffs (maybe closer to the summer). His answer was: His NTC doesn't kick in until next summer, so we're ok there for now.

33Ottawa-Florida rumor - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa-Florida rumor Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
BigRig77 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Quick on the draw...

Wink

Interesting...

Anyone got Murray's phone number? Or Spezza's agent's?

Wink

maybe what cause the confusion is Fisher's NTC ENDS after 2009-2010?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum