GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senschirp talking trade

+4
Phoenix30
PTFlea
Bramlet07
Number Twenty Nine
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 pm

With Nashville's scoring troubles and their depth on defence in the organization, I wonder if we could interest them in Vermette. I'd be targeting Blum or Josi.

17Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran

Sens Chirp has posted that there is a deal being worked on that would bring Ottawa a top 6 forward, a goalie, and a PMD. They may also be willing to part with picks. Further that the deal is being worked on by someone else in the organization and not Murray....HMMMM wonder whats going on and how factual this is. My guess the players would be a pick, Leclaire, Umberger, and Russell or Tyutin for most likely Spezza, Schubert, and Neil. Just a guess though.

18Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:20 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:Sens Chirp has posted that there is a deal being worked on that would bring Ottawa a top 6 forward, a goalie, and a PMD. They may also be willing to part with picks. Further that the deal is being worked on by someone else in the organization and not Murray....HMMMM wonder whats going on and how factual this is. My guess the players would be a pick, Leclaire, Umberger, and Russell or Tyutin for most likely Spezza, Schubert, and Neil. Just a guess though.

**** no! :x Sad

I also strongly dislike that proposal. Russell is 5-8 at best, Leclaire is an expensive, injury-prone goalie who has not proven himself to be more than a one-year wonder and Umberger just plain sucks.

We cannot make the playoffs. We can afford to lose a maximum of 11 more games this season to get a sniff of 8th place.

19Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Agreed, but you know that Melnyk doesn't feel that way. He wants them to do everything they possibly can to win 30 of the next 43 games.
Personally, I'm fine with the status quo. I'll still watch them and I'll enjoy watching the development of the Winchesters and the Folignos...

20Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What's this top 6 forward Columbus has? Rick Nash? It gets pretty bare after that.

21Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:What's this top 6 forward Columbus has? Rick Nash? It gets pretty bare after that.

Thats why I guess it would be Umberger as I don't see them moving Filatov and some salary would need to come back this way depending on who Ottawa was moving.

22Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
504Heater wrote:What's this top 6 forward Columbus has? Rick Nash? It gets pretty bare after that.

Thats why I guess it would be Umberger as I don't see them moving Filatov and some salary would need to come back this way depending on who Ottawa was moving.

Pass-a-doodle-doo.

23Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Pass-a-doodle-doo.

I don't mind Umberger. He can really help the 2nd line but unfortunately that doesn't address the 1st line center. I've always thought Atlanta would be a good partner but they are in the east and unlikely to make the playoffs. Darn I wish they were in the west at least they could make a push for the 8th with the right moves.

24Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've been talking about Umberger for awhile now. Not because I like him, just because it fits.

25Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:I've been talking about Umberger for awhile now. Not because I like him, just because it fits.

Except the Jackets have lost Brassard and are closer to a playoff spot than we are.

I don't see why they'd deal him.

26Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's something mysterious about all this. It all seems to fall into line if you're thinking contract for contract.

I have a feeling if something goes down, it's along the lines of:

Vermette, Schubert and Gerber and possibly a 3rd round pick (or 2nd, but I would hope not)

for

Modin, Russell and Leclaire

The Jackets have found their goalie in Mason, Leclaire is injury riddled and on the books for 2 more years at 3.8 million, Brassard is injured for the year and Vermette brings them a cheap 2nd line center who can win faceoffs, Gerber brings them an experienced backup who is off the books at the end of the year - and Schubert adds some size on the back end.

Ottawa calls up Elliot and I assume will scratch Gerber. If this kind of deal goes down, Leclaire is in the press box with an ankle injury, so having Elliot up is a necessity.

Modin adds tremendous size and a little bit of skill to Fisher's line and finally resolves the issue of too many centers - and same as Vermette, only has one year left at 3.2.

Russell for Schubert isn't good for Columbus, but they get a little more experience on the back end.

I don't endorse this deal in the least (unless we can re-trade Leclaire in the summer), but I have a feeling something like this is what'll shake out (if anything).

27Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:36 am

504Heater wrote:There's something mysterious about all this. It all seems to fall into line if you're thinking contract for contract.

I have a feeling if something goes down, it's along the lines of:

Vermette, Schubert and Gerber and possibly a 3rd round pick (or 2nd, but I would hope not)

for

Modin, Russell and Leclaire

The Jackets have found their goalie in Mason, Leclaire is injury riddled and on the books for 2 more years at 3.8 million, Brassard is injured for the year and Vermette brings them a cheap 2nd line center who can win faceoffs, Gerber brings them an experienced backup who is off the books at the end of the year - and Schubert adds some size on the back end.

Ottawa calls up Elliot and I assume will scratch Gerber. If this kind of deal goes down, Leclaire is in the press box with an ankle injury, so having Elliot up is a necessity.

Modin adds tremendous size and a little bit of skill to Fisher's line and finally resolves the issue of too many centers - and same as Vermette, only has one year left at 3.2.

Russell for Schubert isn't good for Columbus, but they get a little more experience on the back end.

I don't endorse this deal in the least (unless we can re-trade Leclaire in the summer), but I have a feeling something like this is what'll shake out (if anything).

I don't know why they take Gerber though. They basically washed their hands of Norrena earlier this year. They've got Lacosta to bring up, but Mason is clearly the future. They aren't right up against the cap, so they would probably be best served to shop Leclaire around and see if they can drive up his return. It seems to me that Columbus taking Gerber is doing us a favour. I don't see them needing Schubert as they've got some big shutdown guys there in Klesla and Commodore already.

I think they'll get desperate soon to add scoring punch and if we play our cards right, we should be able to fetch Russell for Vermette straight up. Vermette's value is going to be quite high come the deadline I'd say. An experienced forward who's played quite a few playoff games, can pot 20-25 a season, plays a strong PK game and is great on the draw. Sounds like a real asset to any playoff bound team to me.

I'm not even sold on Leclaire, as he's only put together one nice season, and he can't seem to stay healthy. He's got a wonky ankle which seems to flare up. That's a bad sign. I'd rather see what Elliott can provide us than deal for outside help. Modin has nice size, but with the way things are going, I would anticipate nothing but struggles from him.

Having said all that, something has to give here. Personally, I think Melnyk knows this season is a write off, but I also think he won't wait too long to make changes. I think he may wait a couple more weeks until we are all but officially dead (we practically are now, but with a hell of a run in theory....), then make wholesale changes to the staff. A new GM = a new coach anyway you slice it. If he makes this move within 2-3 weeks it gives the new guy a month or so to come in and make assessments before the deadline. I will be stunned if Murray is here for this year's deadline.

28Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's the give and take here, Columbus does NOT need Leclaire and all his injuries, so Ottawa takes him and hopes he returns to last year's in-the-running Vezina pace, but in return they must take Gerber.

Long run Columbus is happy because they shed the contract and let Mason take the reigns, Ottawa's in an interesting position to totally showcase Leclaire for the deadline - or my some miracle if Leclaire plays lights out, we have the tandem for next year with Elliot. Auld at 1 million should be a moveable goalie (for like nothing). Then you'd have Leclaire and Elliot basically in a tandem, you give Elliot a good look in the NHL - like 40 games to Leclaire's 40 - and even better, when Leclaire goes down, Elliot gets his taste.

I'm not in favour of doing this because Gerber's coming off the books anyway, Leclaire creates a logjam of goalies (even if he is a little better than Auld), Russell is too small (but I hear a killer little puck mover), Vermette is traded for size and a little skill.

Schubert's the throw in, I can't see anyone else off our roster we'd part with for this.

I swear, add it all up and it actually smells right $$ wise and hockey-trade wise - doesn't mean I like it though.

This is all just a guess anyway.

29Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:That's the give and take here, Columbus does NOT need Leclaire and all his injuries, so Ottawa takes him and hopes he returns to last year's in-the-running Vezina pace, but in return they must take Gerber.

Long run Columbus is happy because they shed the contract and let Mason take the reigns, Ottawa's in an interesting position to totally showcase Leclaire for the deadline - or my some miracle if Leclaire plays lights out, we have the tandem for next year with Elliot. Auld at 1 million should be a moveable goalie (for like nothing). Then you'd have Leclaire and Elliot basically in a tandem, you give Elliot a good look in the NHL - like 40 games to Leclaire's 40 - and even better, when Leclaire goes down, Elliot gets his taste.

I'm not in favour of doing this because Gerber's coming off the books anyway, Leclaire creates a logjam of goalies (even if he is a little better than Auld), Russell is too small (but I hear a killer little puck mover), Vermette is traded for size and a little skill.

Schubert's the throw in, I can't see anyone else off our roster we'd part with for this.

I swear, add it all up and it actually smells right $$ wise and hockey-trade wise - doesn't mean I like it though.

I don't mind Russell regardless of his size because we can always get bigger players to work around him as well. Another D-man that I am curious about is Tyutin. He is considered to reach top 4 status and has size. Modin maybe a short term fix for the 2nd line but I would rather have their 1st instead of him....Not sure how likely that is though.

On another note, CLB won tonight and are now 1 point out of 8th place in the west. St. Louis also won and are now 8 points out of a playoff spot and they are in last place. I think if the Sens keep sliding and those teams in the west keeping hanging around there will be an opportunity for Murray to move some assets.

30Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 am

Phoenix30 wrote:
504Heater wrote:That's the give and take here, Columbus does NOT need Leclaire and all his injuries, so Ottawa takes him and hopes he returns to last year's in-the-running Vezina pace, but in return they must take Gerber.

I don't mind Russell regardless of his size because we can always get bigger players to work around him as well. Another D-man that I am curious about is Tyutin. He is considered to reach top 4 status and has size. Modin maybe a short term fix for the 2nd line but I would rather have their 1st instead of him....Not sure how likely that is though.

On another note, CLB won tonight and are now 1 point out of 8th place in the west. St. Louis also won and are now 8 points out of a playoff spot and they are in last place. I think if the Sens keep sliding and those teams in the west keeping hanging around there will be an opportunity for Murray to move some assets.

Particularly Columbus. I don't see how they can stay in contention with all the injuries they've suffered. Is Mason really this good? Will Howson pin his playoff hopes on a rookie goalie? My guess is not. Sooner rather than later, I think he makes a move for offense, with Russell and/or Leclaire being the bait. I've warmed up to Russell somewhat since this rumour came about. I'm not a fan of his size, but by all accounts plays larger. It would be slightly hypocritical to knock Russell for his size, while singing the praises of Erik Karlsson. :lol!:

31Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:24 am

I just think that it would be wise for them to keep Leclaire until the season is over. First, I think his value would be higher then, and secondly, if he is healthy, he's a great insurance policy if Mason gets injured, trips up, or Satan cashes in his soul.

I'm really ready to move Schubert, as he's really not giving us a whole lot. With Kuba coming back, now could be the time. I would however like to hang on to Vermette until closer to the deadline. Often teams get goofy on deadline day, realizing that window to acquire a needed piece is fast closing. Despite Vermette's lack of production, he possesses very many attractive qualities. It's the same argument you used on me with Neil as a target of a playoff bound team Wink

Straight up, do you think Murray is going to be here come trade deadline? Or Hartsburg for that matter? Like I said previously, I have a hunch that there will be a new regime in place a month or so prior to the deadline, so they have time to make the proper assessments.

32Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:13 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, you have to think any deal Columbus makes is unlikely to involve roster players, cause why mess with chemistry when they are doing so well? Prospects, picks and maybe 6th-7th d-men and 3rd-4th liners perhaps.

33Senschirp talking trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Senschirp talking trade Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 pm

The longer Murray waits to make a deal, the better the deal should be for our team. Right now, other teams know the sens are desprate, Murray is just waiting until they are desperate anb we're so far out of it we can make any deal we want.....just wondering if he'll last long enough see his plan throuhg. I doubt it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum