GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alexander Semin -- absolutely ridiculous

+3
pgood
PTFlea
asq2
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Alexander Semin -- absolutely ridiculous Empty Alexander Semin -- absolutely ridiculous Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It's official now, he's untapped his vast potential.

15 games played, 13 goals, 27 points.

It's interesting to note the comparables between the respective teams of the two wunderkinds in Crosby and Ovechkin.

Crosby has Malkin stealing the show, Ovechkin now has Semin doing just that.

Crosby has Gonchar, Ovechkin has Green.

The difference between the two teams right now is that Washington also boasts Backstrom, Nylander and Fedorov up front, while Pittsburgh has better goaltending and a better defence (IMO).

Semin's break-out also gives Team Russia the scariest top-2 lines in the world:

Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kovalev

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Unreal.

Nash/Crosby/Iginla
Heatley/Getzlaf/Perry

nooooooot too bad IMO

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

Neely4Life wrote:Nash/Crosby/Iginla
Heatley/Getzlaf/Perry

nooooooot too bad IMO

and that doesn't even include others who could easily be included like Thornton or Lecavelier...

but I suppose if we wanted to go pound for pound the Russians could certainly add a few more superstar forwards as well.

Undoubtedly what sets Canada apart is our depth at defense and in net. And defense wins championships... or so they say.

The Olympics in 2 years is going to amazing. So many countries now have a rather deep pool of talent to draw on. It should really be an all out war on the ice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:It's official now, he's untapped his vast potential.

15 games played, 13 goals, 27 points.

It's interesting to note the comparables between the respective teams of the two wunderkinds in Crosby and Ovechkin.

Crosby has Malkin stealing the show, Ovechkin now has Semin doing just that.

Crosby has Gonchar, Ovechkin has Green.

The difference between the two teams right now is that Washington also boasts Backstrom, Nylander and Fedorov up front, while Pittsburgh has better goaltending and a better defence (IMO).

Semin's break-out also gives Team Russia the scariest top-2 lines in the world:

What? Not even one of those is Ukrainian or Belorussian? Kovalchuk and Datsyuk are definitely Ukranian names (although Khabibulin certainly isn't Russian; neither was Bure; neither is Gonchar -- it goes on an on).

P.S. I'm not arguing -- they are all (by the rules which matter in international hockey) Russian.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

pgood wrote:
and that doesn't even include others who could easily be included like Thornton or Lecavelier...

but I suppose if we wanted to go pound for pound the Russians could certainly add a few more superstar forwards as well.

Undoubtedly what sets Canada apart is our depth at defense and in net. And defense wins championships... or so they say.

The Olympics in 2 years is going to amazing. So many countries now have a rather deep pool of talent to draw on. It should really be an all out war on the ice.

Can you come up with two forward lines for the US? Finland? Slovakia or the Czech Republic? Even Sweden? I'm not trying to rip up your statement, but the current NHL leaderboard is a little slanted Russia's way. The US have Tim Thomas, who has no prior international experience that I can recall. They also have Kane and Parise, but as far as getting an all-star top-six I am scratching my head. Maybe because it's so much more difficult because there are no US-sounding player names, but that's not the case with Sweden or Finland.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:
pgood wrote:

Can you come up with two forward lines for the US? Finland? Slovakia or the Czech Republic? Even Sweden? I'm not trying to rip up your statement, but the current NHL leaderboard is a little slanted Russia's way. The US have Tim Thomas, who has no prior international experience that I can recall. They also have Kane and Parise, but as far as getting an all-star top-six I am scratching my head. Maybe because it's so much more difficult because there are no US-sounding player names, but that's not the case with Sweden or Finland.

I never said that every team was comparable from top to bottom. All I am trying to suggest is that the international talent pool is deeper than ever, and as a result the competition should be better than it has ever been.

The Canadians and Russians undoubtedly still have the overall advantage as far as skilled forwards go, no doubt. But countries like Sweden, Finland and especially perennial underachievers the US should ice teams that are stronger than they've iced in years gone by.

Anyways let me start with the US.

Kane, Parise, Gomez, Kessel, Mueller, Pominville, O'Sullivan, Brown, Drury

ok that is enough to fill 3 lines. Are they of the same calibre as the top 6 Russian forwards, not quite, but that list is certainly nothing to sneeze at either. Most of those guys are also fairly young and with another season and a half or so of NHL development still to come before the Olympics, watch out. And they aren't hurting in net, at least as far as a #1 when you consider it'll probably be Ryan Miller.

Sweden
D Sedin, H Sedin, Alfie, Brunstron, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, maybe Sundin. Not quite as deep offensively (at least NHL wise) But they have solid defense (Lidstrom, Ohlund, Edler) and with Lundqvist in net they are a threat on any given night.

Finland

S Koivu, M Koivu, O Jokinen maybe Selanne and admittedly I am now drawing blanks as far as Finnish forwards go. Goaltending is still strong in Kipper and Nik Backstrom.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I drafted Semin in my pool. In the fifth round. :D

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:I drafted Semin in my pool. In the fifth round. :D

Yeah I didn't get Semin, but he went pretty late in our pool.... Could have gotten him, should have gotten him... Would have been better than freakin Erik Cole! that bastard...

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I've got Lee Stempniak, he's sucking it big time for me.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Not to mention he's an absolutely ridiculous +17.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

pgood wrote:I never said that every team was comparable from top to bottom. All I am trying to suggest is that the international talent pool is deeper than ever, and as a result the competition should be better than it has ever been.

The Canadians and Russians undoubtedly still have the overall advantage as far as skilled forwards go, no doubt. But countries like Sweden, Finland and especially perennial underachievers the US should ice teams that are stronger than they've iced in years gone by.

Anyways let me start with the US.

Kane, Parise, Gomez, Kessel, Mueller, Pominville, O'Sullivan, Brown, Drury

ok that is enough to fill 3 lines. Are they of the same calibre as the top 6 Russian forwards, not quite, but that list is certainly nothing to sneeze at either. Most of those guys are also fairly young and with another season and a half or so of NHL development still to come before the Olympics, watch out. And they aren't hurting in net, at least as far as a #1 when you consider it'll probably be Ryan Miller.

Sweden
D Sedin, H Sedin, Alfie, Brunstron, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, maybe Sundin. Not quite as deep offensively (at least NHL wise) But they have solid defense (Lidstrom, Ohlund, Edler) and with Lundqvist in net they are a threat on any given night.

Finland

S Koivu, M Koivu, O Jokinen maybe Selanne and admittedly I am now drawing blanks as far as Finnish forwards go. Goaltending is still strong in Kipper and Nik Backstrom.

Sweden:

Defence: Lidstrom (if still playing), Ohlund, Edler, Nik Kronwall, Hedman, Johnsson

Goal: Lundqvist, obviously.

Forwards: They'll miss Sundin and Forsberg if those two aren't playing by then, but they'll still have Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Naslund, Hornqvist, Holmstrom, Franzen, Backstrom, The Sedins, Nylander, Pahlsson, Berglund, potentially MSP.

Finland:

Defence: Timonen, Pitkanen, Salo, Lydman, Koistinen

Goal: Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Lehtonen

Forwards: The Koivus, the Ruutus, Hagman, potentially Selanne, the Jokinens, Filpulla, Miettinen

USA:

Forwards: Drury, Gomez, Kane, Parise, Brown, Dubinsky, Mueller, Kesler, Kessel, Modano, O'Sullivan, Pominville EDIT: Oh yeah, and Paul Stastny and Higgins

Goal: Miller, DiPietro, Anderson

Defence: Rafalski, Komisarek, Ballard, Liles, Suter, Orpik, Hainsey

I still maintain that as far as sheer offensive firepower goes:

is the best, and they also bring a strong physical dimension and, with Malkin, Kovalev and Datsyuk, some solid defensive play as well.

Last edited by asq2 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:Not to mention he's an absolutely ridiculous +17.

This kid is unbelievable, Washington all of a sudden looks like quite the threat... If they could just get that goalie...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Franking Russians are gonna win the gold so easily in 2010 it's not even gonna be funny. Boo.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

smash88 wrote:
PKC wrote:Not to mention he's an absolutely ridiculous +17.

This kid is unbelievable, Washington all of a sudden looks like quite the threat... If they could just get that goalie...

I was half asleep, but did I notice B.Johnson leaving the game after the first? Hurt?

If he is, they're in a little trouble IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum