GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you still doubt Thomas?

+5
PTFlea
Aetherial
Cap'n Clutch
mattshock
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is Tim Thomas for real?

Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_lcap253%Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_rcap2 53% [ 10 ]
Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_lcap221%Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_rcap2 21% [ 4 ]
Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_lcap226%Do you still doubt Thomas? Vote_rcap2 26% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I must admit, at the start of the season I said that I didn't expect Boston to do much, playoff-wise (or even regular season) because of two large questions marks: will Bergeron come back strong, and is Tim Thomas for real? Last night he had his second consecutive shutout (tied with Brodeur for the league lead) and is leading the league in SV%. Granted, it was against Vancouver, but it's not like Hasek's shutout of Montreal -- Thomas did have to make 31 saves, some of them pretty difficult ones.

So, is Tim Thomas for real? Is he a backup/minor leaguer who, at age 33 (last year) finally emerged as a #1? Or is he an unusually extended flash in the pan?

2Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For the record, I am not convinced. I think this is a long season and he (and the Bs) will drop off by January.

3Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Is he a top-tier goaltender in the NHL? I don't think so.

Is he a legit starter? Absolutely. This guy has proven himself to be a capable #1 goalie. That said, Fernandez should *hypothetically* he 100% availalbe.

I vote yes.

4Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How much more does this guy have to prove? He certainly isn't an elite goalie but he definitely is a legit number 1 guy. He has his head scratcher moments for sure but that's a produce of his "style" I think. I too voted yes. I'm not sure exactly what you meant by real deal though. If you meant is he a Luongo, Brodeur, Kipper, Turco, Nabokov type real deal then absolutely not.

- Unknown Author

5Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

I hope so... I think only me and one or two other people bought him in the pool. I think he cost 4 points, and was really a steal at that price. I did not expect 2 SO's already, but I did expect more wins.

I would say he is perhaps a *little* over pace for what we can expect. The B's aren't a great team, but they aren't bad either.

6Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They're pretty good defensively, but Thomas...has never sold me. It's the way he plays combined with the pure BS of some of the saves. You can't argue with the results, but I've always felt that if he gets on a run where the puck isn't 'hitting him', he's gonna be lit up like a Christmas tree.

7Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'd be one of those guys who picked up Thomas. Man my team is struggling so far, injuries galore, guys underperforming (I'm looking at you Ovechkin, you bunghole), etc...

Hopefully it all turns around.

8Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:They're pretty good defensively, but Thomas...has never sold me. It's the way he plays combined with the pure BS of some of the saves. You can't argue with the results, but I've always felt that if he gets on a run where the puck isn't 'hitting him', he's gonna be lit up like a Christmas tree.

He's unconventional to say the least.

But so was Hasek.

9Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

PKC wrote:I'd be one of those guys who picked up Thomas. Man my team is struggling so far, injuries galore, guys underperforming (I'm looking at you Ovechkin, you bunghole), etc...

The guy in first has Oveckin also Wink

10Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I always felt that Raask would outperform Thomas in the end.
Thomas, in my view, is streaky. He makes a lot of WOW saves, but as Heater mentioned, if they didn't hit him FIRST, I question whether he would have stopped it to begin with.

Elite, he is not, but he seems to be giving Fernandez a run for his $$ though. However, if I were Ciarelli, I'd trade Thomas or Fernandez and bring in Raask...

EDIT: wait a minute, Technically I AM Ciarelli... LOL

11Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Cronenbergfan wrote:I always felt that Raask would outperform Thomas in the end.
Thomas, in my view, is streaky. He makes a lot of WOW saves, but as Heater mentioned, if they didn't hit him FIRST, I question whether he would have stopped it to begin with.

Elite, he is not, but he seems to be giving Fernandez a run for his $$ though. However, if I were Ciarelli, I'd trade Thomas or Fernandez and bring in Raask...

EDIT: wait a minute, Technically I AM Ciarelli... LOL

I would take Thomas over what the Sens have as a # 1... in a heartbeat. He is unconventional but so was Roy when he first started, so was Hasek and almost any notable goalie in history. While he is absolutely not in their league, I am not one to believe in the 'orthodox' goatending style. Stop lots of pucks, stop them at important times and do not let in a weak one, that is all the style I want...

12Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:I'd be one of those guys who picked up Thomas. Man my team is struggling so far, injuries galore, guys underperforming (I'm looking at you Ovechkin, you bunghole), etc...

Ovechkin went to Russia to be with his ailing his grandfather.

13Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:15 pm

mattshock wrote:
504Heater wrote:They're pretty good defensively, but Thomas...has never sold me. It's the way he plays combined with the pure BS of some of the saves. You can't argue with the results, but I've always felt that if he gets on a run where the puck isn't 'hitting him', he's gonna be lit up like a Christmas tree.

He's unconventional to say the least.

But so was Hasek.
I will never understand Hasek's frame of mind. "If I breakdance in the crease, i will block more....I think I pulled my groin..."

14Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

As someone on another board we know of said, the guy has 7 four-leaf clovers growing out of the horseshoe he wears around his neck.

Still, you can't argue with results.

He's not this good, but he's a good goalie and will do a fine job for Boston until Rask is ready.

15Do you still doubt Thomas? Empty Re: Do you still doubt Thomas? Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:As someone on another board we know of said, the guy has 7 four-leaf clovers growing out of the horseshoe he wears around his neck.

Still, you can't argue with results.

He's not this good, but he's a good goalie and will do a fine job for Boston until Rask is ready.

Exactly. Rask for whatshisname is looking like an absolute blindsiding.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum