GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thomas is going to be hurting us for 3 more years

+13
wprager
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
caissie_1
Phoenix30
Riprock
davetherave
smash88
asq2
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Tim Thomas looks be staying in Boston for the foreseeable future.

According to a report in the Boston Globe, the Bruins and Thomas agreed to a multi-year deal that will see Thomas remain between the pipes in Boston for at least three more seasons.

The deal will reportedly pay the 34-year old goalie $5.2 million per-season.

The team is expected to announce the signing later on Friday.

now, is he worth that kind of money as he is classified as a streaky goalie?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yes! Big money = salary cap issues for Boston in the near future. Me likey.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Yes! Big money = salary cap issues for Boston in the near future. Me likey.

maybe we can poach Lucic or Kreici from boston? not likely, but would love to speculate.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Way over paying for Thomas IMO. I don't think he'll sustain this.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Way over paying for Thomas IMO. I don't think he'll sustain this.

makes you wonder why so long too with goalie of the future Rask waiting in the wings, unless Thomas shifts to backup and mentors Rask.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Goalies take a long time to mature. Rask will get his chance to backup one of the best and hard-working goalies in the league.

Problem is...Rask's entry contract with bonuses is over 3 million dollars. So that's 8.5 million dollars on goaltending for the next 3 years for the B's. Bonne chance with that. cool)

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SensFan71 wrote:Tim Thomas looks be staying in Boston for the foreseeable future.

According to a report in the Boston Globe, the Bruins and Thomas agreed to a multi-year deal that will see Thomas remain between the pipes in Boston for at least three more seasons.

The deal will reportedly pay the 34-year old goalie $5.2 million per-season.

The team is expected to announce the signing later on Friday.

now, is he worth that kind of money as he is classified as a streaky goalie?

Holy Moly Batman!! That's insane!! Enjoy that contract in a year or two when he starts to turn Gerber on you!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I read 4 years $20 million.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._inks_new.html

Shrug

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Yes! Big money = salary cap issues for Boston in the near future. Me likey.

yeah I agree, I'd like to grab a few of their players for sure... They have some awesome young guys.. Maybe soften the blow for them taking Chara for "Free" :D:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Goalies take a long time to mature. Rask will get his chance to backup one of the best and hard-working goalies in the league.

Problem is...Rask's entry contract with bonuses is over 3 million dollars. So that's 8.5 million dollars on goaltending for the next 3 years for the B's. Bonne chance with that. cool)

Don't you think it's wiser to have 8.5MM a year tied up in two solid goalies (one experienced, one emerging) than 16MM tied up in two forwards?

scratch

And Mr Chiarelli's track record for investing wisely, so far, most certainly trumps Mr Murray's.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

At any rate, this isn't good news for Sens fans hoping to beat Boston any time soon.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Don't you think it's wiser to have 8.5MM a year tied up in two solid goalies (one experienced, one emerging) than 16MM tied up in two forwards?

scratch

And Mr Chiarelli's track record for investing wisely, so far, most certainly trumps Mr Murray's.

He'll have some serious decisions to make shortly, so we'll see how he does when faced with that.

I find 8 million for Thomas and Rask a little steep, but hey, they're winning, so of course Chiarelli looks good.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

scratch

He'll have some serious decisions to make shortly, so we'll see how he does when faced with that.

I find 8 million for Thomas and Rask a little steep, but hey, they're winning, so of course Chiarelli looks good.

My point was that Chiarelli has allocated his resources much more efficiently than Mr Murray. And yes, his team is winning. The quality of his management has something to do with that.

As for Thomas getting that new deal and paying Rask what they are, how do you see that as being a problem?

Fernandez's contract is up (he may retire anyway because of chronic back problems) and the deal secures the Bruins' talent in net.

Compare Thomas to Gerber? Are you kidding me? Thomas is one of the most motivated and fiercely competitive goalies in the league. (No disrespect to Marty G, but he has never been a number one except in name.) Tim Thomas has worked his butt off to get where he is, and few NHL players have shown the kind of determination he has. Why not be happy for him to finally get rewarded, and just in time for the playoffs?

Where market value is concerned, what do you think Luongo will get when his contract is up for renewal? He's getting 7.5MM now.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't like this deal - too much money, too long of a term. Where's the money for Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Lucic?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I don't like this deal - too much money, too long of a term. Where's the money for Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Lucic?

Are you saying the deal is not consistent with market value?

Who says Chiarelli needs to re-sign Savard when his deal is done? He has money to re-sign Kessel and Krejci who are RFAs because Axelsson, Yelle and Recchi are UFAs. Lucic isn't up for a contract until after next season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum