GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thomas is going to be hurting us for 3 more years

+13
wprager
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
caissie_1
Phoenix30
Riprock
davetherave
smash88
asq2
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask.

You think so? He's gotten 1 game this season. If they wanted him up that quickly, they would have moved Manny or Timmy.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask.

You think so? He's gotten 1 game this season. If they wanted him up that quickly, they would have moved Manny or Timmy.

Exactly. Fernandez was an interim solution as they developed Rask.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:Who know's Neely maybe Auld does return to Boston. They will want a good cheap backup and IMO Auld fits the profile.

They have a backup. Tukka Rask. And he's much better than Auld.

His total cap hit I belive will be around 3.2 million compared to Auld 1 million. Im not sure on the numbers but it's something like that.

Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask. Rask is younger and has more upside.

And where does this '3.2MM cap hit' come from?

:KJK:

Rask facts:

Tuukka Rask
Date of birth: March 10, 1987
Place of birth: Savonlinna, Finland
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 169
Catches: L
Salary: $850,000
NHL Seasons: 1-R
Drafted by Toronto in 2005 (1/21).
Acquired in a trade with Toronto in 2006.

Carey Price has like 850 000 in salary and his cap hit is 2,2 Million. Same with Toews and I believe Kane's go from 875,000 in salary to around 3.7 million in cap hit.
I think the bonuses and stuff count as well. I dont really know how it works, but the cap is always higher than the actual salary for entry level contracts.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:Who know's Neely maybe Auld does return to Boston. They will want a good cheap backup and IMO Auld fits the profile.

They have a backup. Tukka Rask. And he's much better than Auld.

His total cap hit I belive will be around 3.2 million compared to Auld 1 million. Im not sure on the numbers but it's something like that.

Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask. Rask is younger and has more upside.

And where does this '3.2MM cap hit' come from?

:KJK:

Rask facts:

Tuukka Rask
Date of birth: March 10, 1987
Place of birth: Savonlinna, Finland
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 169
Catches: L
Salary: $850,000
NHL Seasons: 1-R
Drafted by Toronto in 2005 (1/21).
Acquired in a trade with Toronto in 2006.

Carey Price has like 850 000 in salary and his cap hit is 2,2 Million. Same with Toews and I believe Kane's go from 875,000 in salary to around 3.7 million in cap hit.
I think the bonuses and stuff count as well. I dont really know how it works, but the cap is always higher than the actual salary for entry level contracts.

OK, but what are the facts?

NHLnumbers.com indicates teams have a 'bonus cushion'.

So unless somebody knows for sure, this is all just supposition.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps because the CBA was extended the cushion is back. Bonus money is not paid out until/unless certain goals are met. However in the last year of the CBA all of the bonuses were supposed to count against the cap. Maybe since the CBA got extended the cushion was put back -- before the deadline?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Perhaps because the CBA was extended the cushion is back. Bonus money is not paid out until/unless certain goals are met. However in the last year of the CBA all of the bonuses were supposed to count against the cap. Maybe since the CBA got extended the cushion was put back -- before the deadline?

It would help if someone actually knew the answer...

I'm all for these discussions, but only when the facts are straight.

Anyway, I have to think, given Chiarelli's smarts (at least what he's shown so far, and that's pretty impressive), he hasn't hamstrung himself.

And I don't know why some people seem to begrudge Tim Thomas, by all appearances a pretty cool guy, his rightful due.

Is it 'Bruin-hate' or something? Shrug

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When RooneyPoo finishes his dissertation he'll set us straight on the bonus cushions. One thing I, personally, am interested in is this whole business of multiple signing bonuses. It's not a performance based bonus so it's on the cap, but what exactly is the purpose of having signing bonuses in several years of a multi-year contract? Look at Alfie's as an example. I *think* it may have to do with being able to prune a large cap-hit down to a small amount int he last year of the contract. The salary cannot decrease by more than a certain amount (50%?) but maybe signing bonuses are treated differently. In Alfie's case his salary in the last year is only $1M which means he can retire without leaving too much on the table. For the team, they lower the cap hit by having that low salary in the last year.

As for Thomas, this guy toiled for many years in relative obscurity, and has only "blossomed" in the last 2 seasons. At the same time this guy has *never* won a playoff series. So there's, understandably, people wondering if h's the real deal or a flash in the pan. He's had more mediocre/bad years in this league than good ones, and at nearly 35 (and especially the way he plays) is at the tail-end of his career. Plus he's never won anything. Yeah, a 4-year $20M contract is still a bit of a gamble.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Prags, Thomas is the leading candidate for the Vezina.

Why do the 'experts' diss Thomas? Because they have to stir the pot.

The Bruins were a crummy team until the last two seasons when Julien took over.

Did you watch T2 play today? Gutsy. Focused. Shutout.

And an average $5MM a year? There are a dozen other goalies getting more.

IMHO not an unreasonable deal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You blinded me with stats, yet you failed to address what I said. He's nearly 35 yet has had just 2 good seasons. What's up with that? He's never won a playoff series. Personally, I don't really care as much about that, but as far as the analysts go, they always come back to that -- until he wins one, he's never won one.

Anyhow, he's making $5M a year when he's turning 39, and the cap is probably still below $50M -- is that a good deal?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:You blinded me with stats, yet you failed to address what I said. He's nearly 35 yet has had just 2 good seasons. What's up with that? He's never won a playoff series. Personally, I don't really care as much about that, but as far as the analysts go, they always come back to that -- until he wins one, he's never won one.

Anyhow, he's making $5M a year when he's turning 39, and the cap is probably still below $50M -- is that a good deal?

Blind you with stats...moi? LOL

Actually, as I understand it, T2's deal is front loaded, and the amounts taper off in the later years, so he gets 6MM the first two, and 5MM and 3MM the last two respectively. So that answers your question.

A good deal for both sides, and Tim gets motivation up front, with a nice retirement package.

cool)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm happy for him, I really am. He looks like one of the genuinely nice guys. I just can't shake this feeling that it's house of cards about to come crashing down.

He *must* win a series, but the way the team is going, if he doesn't get them to the SCF I'm afraid the analysts will blame it all on him.

Still, he's got his $20M so he can retire happy.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I'm happy for him, I really am. He looks like one of the genuinely nice guys. I just can't shake this feeling that it's house of cards about to come crashing down.

He *must* win a series, but the way the team is going, if he doesn't get them to the SCF I'm afraid the analysts will blame it all on him.

Still, he's got his $20M so he can retire happy.

Prags, an eloquent elucidation, as always from you.
:D:

How long was it until Hašek was seen for what he was, rather than just lucky?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:How long was it until Hašek was seen for what he was, rather than just lucky?

Shrug

Not sure what you are getting at...

davetherave wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:How long was it until Hašek was seen for what he was, rather than just lucky?

Shrug

Hasek is probably the only comparable I can think of for Thomas.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Shrug

Considering what Hasek accomplished, that's quite the compliment.

davetherave wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Shrug

Considering what Hasek accomplished, that's quite the compliment.
Not so much in terms of accomplishments, but style.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:

Shrug

Style-wise, yes, but Hašek became a top-tier goalie way before he turned 34. He won six Vezinas, grabbing the first one in 1994, shortly after turning 29. You can't really compare the two.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum