GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Am I Listening to Right now?

+31
wprager
Hoags
Flo The Action
Riprock
stempniaksen
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
sens4win
Vandelay
KidKarlsson
Jordo
LethalLehner
Bramlet07
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
spader
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
pgood
Snuh
Cronie
beedub
SensGirl11
Hayden
smash88
Cap'n Clutch
mattshock
PTFlea
shabbs
TheAvatar
PKC
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 25]

226What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
There's about 1000 people behind his success though, these guys produce their own music. Either way, even Beiber's stuff is basically electronic music in some form along with basically everyone else you hear on a day to day basis. It's the way muisc is going... I can't get into dub step though, just not my thing.

I believe Bruno said something very similar on Fame. Something along the lines of only needing his synthesizer and nothing else, and how that would be the way music would be done in 10 years' time. Most of you on here probably weren't old enough to stay up to watch it -- much less to see the original movie the show was based on.

Producers are startig to get all the credit which is what it should have been like 10, 15 years ago. That's why live acts like Metalica, Iron Maiden, Rush, Styx, Van Halen, etc are all so great... it's THEIR music. They are the producers and the genius' that create it and play it. Only difference between these guys and "DJs" is the DJ's don't play their music live (although they will remix on the spot, which is basically creating a new song on the spot) or mash up a song with another (meaning taking 2 songs at once and making it one).

It's an art despite peoples reservations about what they really do. A rave/electronic act is the new rock show.

227What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Tea Party, Big Wreck, I Mother Earth (Edwin era), Collective Soul, and Live.

228What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Tea Party, Big Wreck, I Mother Earth (Edwin era), Collective Soul, and Live.

No way they are on the same levels of guys/groups like Queen, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc. The golden age of rock was the late 60's into the 70's, it won't ever be back like that. Ask the new generation who Queen is they will know, ask them who the Tea Party is they probably don't have a clue. Ask them who Tiesto is though.

Point being is music is going and basically has gone electric. The new beats from hip hop, pop, even metal, is all electric.

If you guys want live acts that are electric check out the Bloody Beat Roots, Infected Mushroom, those guys put on live shows with the "DJs" and it's unreal to watch.

229What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
There's about 1000 people behind his success though, these guys produce their own music. Either way, even Beiber's stuff is basically electronic music in some form along with basically everyone else you hear on a day to day basis. It's the way muisc is going... I can't get into dub step though, just not my thing.

I believe Bruno said something very similar on Fame. Something along the lines of only needing his synthesizer and nothing else, and how that would be the way music would be done in 10 years' time. Most of you on here probably weren't old enough to stay up to watch it -- much less to see the original movie the show was based on.

Producers are startig to get all the credit which is what it should have been like 10, 15 years ago. That's why live acts like Metalica, Iron Maiden, Rush, Styx, Van Halen, etc are all so great... it's THEIR music. They are the producers and the genius' that create it and play it. Only difference between these guys and "DJs" is the DJ's don't play their music live (although they will remix on the spot, which is basically creating a new song on the spot) or mash up a song with another (meaning taking 2 songs at once and making it one).

It's an art despite peoples reservations about what they really do. A rave/electronic act is the new rock show.

Still plenty of original music sung by the artists who wrote it. That is not going away

Hollywood produces a lot more movies, spends and makes a lot more money than the UK movie industry, but it doesn't mean that eventually everyone will do it the Hollywood way. In Hollywood is looking to the UK (or other places) for remakes of both movies and TV shows.

And just because lots of people like something doesn't make it art, and doesn't mean it'll be around for a long time. Don't mistake rends for fads.

230What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:35 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Still plenty of original music sung by the artists who wrote it. That is not going away

Hollywood produces a lot more movies, spends and makes a lot more money than the UK movie industry, but it doesn't mean that eventually everyone will do it the Hollywood way. In Hollywood is looking to the UK (or other places) for remakes of both movies and TV shows.

And just because lots of people like something doesn't make it art, and doesn't mean it'll be around for a long time. Don't mistake rends for fads.

Never will but all the best writters need a hook and that usually comes from producers. Even Adel has a great producer behind her perfect voice... Otherwise she would be Susan Boyle.

No, lots of people liking something doesn't make something an art... being able to get a crowd hyper up, grab their attention, and have it for 3, 4 hours at a time... that's art. Putting on a song to open up/start a set and not knowing if the song changed to the typical person 4 hours later is an art (others will say it just all sounds the same that's why).

Everything excect rock/metal is electronic now, EVERYTHING. From Adel to Rihanna to Swedish House Mafia, to Bieber... all electronic in some shape or form.

231What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And my dad was lamenting about jobs lost in the art industry. One that I wasn't even aware of was -- I forget the term he used -- but something about taking a film negative and scraping it. Not sure what for, but it used to be a craft that only a few could do. Now it's all done with computers. But art is still producing something with little more than imagination. The tool never becomes the art. It is just a tool.

232What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:And my dad was lamenting about jobs lost in the art industry. One that I wasn't even aware of was -- I forget the term he used -- but something about taking a film negative and scraping it. Not sure what for, but it used to be a craft that only a few could do. Now it's all done with computers. But art is still producing something with little more than imagination. The tool never becomes the art. It is just a tool.

Exactly, couldn't agree more. Taking a turn table and a computer and creating something that not many people can (at least not well), live and on the spot is indeed an art. The music which they created as well is also an art.

I'm not saying people have to like it I just wish they respected it a lot more because it's to the point the older generation just sounds like their parents... "it's noise, it isn't art, what we listen to is music".

233What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Funny, not that I've had time to "research", but I listened to some dubdstep tracks. How is it different from the stuff you like? Sounds like there's more syncopation, and maybe the tone is not overly uplifting. Not happy music but, then again, happy is not a style. Maybe I'm not explaining it well -- from the very limited exposure I've had to dubstep I would expect people to not so much dance to it, but sit there stoned. Or not.

Funny thing is, electronic music goes back quite a bit. Remember "Yello"? I see lots of similarities in their tracks with this "new" wave.

234What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Accapella dubstep.

235What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That was not bad at all. Reminds me of Paper Music by Bobby McFerrin. Except he did classical.

Wait, just go to the 2:10 mark and -- WTH? OK, that was a bit weird. *Is* a bit weird. Oh, well, maybe I'm just too old Smile

236What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:15 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Funny, not that I've had time to "research", but I listened to some dubdstep tracks. How is it different from the stuff you like? Sounds like there's more syncopation, and maybe the tone is not overly uplifting. Not happy music but, then again, happy is not a style. Maybe I'm not explaining it well -- from the very limited exposure I've had to dubstep I would expect people to not so much dance to it, but sit there stoned. Or not.

Funny thing is, electronic music goes back quite a bit. Remember "Yello"? I see lots of similarities in their tracks with this "new" wave.

Yah, I've tried to get into the dub step at clubs or raves, just can't. Not danceable enough and I like the high energy stuff... it's almost too dark. My buddies love it though. I appreciate everything that goes into it I just can't get into it myself. It's electronic but the BPM (beats per min) aren't enough. Trance can be anywhere between 130-137 BPM, house music is around the 120 BPM mark, dub step I'm not exactly sure but it's probably around the house music range. Trance used to be a lot faster like 140 plus BPM but it's not the most danceable music when it's that fast.

As for your assumption that people get stonned to make it sound better or enjoy it more, well you're right. There is no comparisson.

There is uplifting tunes, dark tunes, dirty tunes, etc. You can probably pick it up yourself.

Electronic music goes back to the disco days for sure and it's the same BPM as current house music. I won't get into the history of it all but most of this stuff today is based off disco.

Anyways, it's not for everyone, I myself can't stand dub step and it's electronic. I like the up lifting, high energy beats that make people go wild, some of the darker trance/progressive tance is also great... house music is hit and miss for me as well, like some of it, dislike a lot of it. Just wish people would respect it like I said before, a lot goes into it and most people think these guys just push "play" on some CD.

I'll say this though, the old art form of being a DJ is starting to fade, there are actually guys that have software do a lot of the work for them, beat match, double click to push a song, ect. The best in the world don't do this, they can mix analog with digital no problem, they can mash up a song from an actual record and a CD at once if they have the right gear when they put on a set. It's pretty amazing actually. The light shows and digital displays they put on with it all just makes it that much better.

237What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

sens4win wrote:Accapella dubstep.

Perfect example of something I don't like but still totally respect and appreciate.

238What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

This is more of what I am into. More funky and upbeat.

239What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
sens4win wrote:Accapella dubstep.

Perfect example of something I don't like but still totally respect and appreciate.
Well at least you respect it, people who say that Skrillex or Deadmau5 have no talent are wrong. They're not just "button pushers". The video is a perfect example.

240What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ugh, Deadmau5... the guy I hate to love.

241What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

For those who are going to bluefest, I'm not saying to stay for their whole shows but check out Adam K (good Canadian boy) and Arty (next big thing in electronic/progressive tance) on Thursday night.

Last edited by NEELY on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

242What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:While I appreciate the connection to the Sens in the name, unless you tell me that Alfie and the rest of the Swedish connection are head over heels with this I just don't see any reason to play this at a Sens game. And even if that were so, what makes them special?

you have heard this if you are at the warmups and yes, Karlsson's favorite group is the Swedish House Mafia so learn to love it. They are selling out MSG and 100,000 seats arena's in Europe so you don't have to like it but just don't be ignorant to it. (not directed at you, just everyone who thinks this kind of music isn't music)

I'm not getting into this debate, but I'm pretty sure Justin Bieber also sells out MSG and 100,000 seat arenas in Europe.

Err, no. There's still lots and lots of people out there who want to hear musicians play, you know, musical instruments. It's why, for instance, 20,000+ people show up at Bluesfest every day for 12 days in this city.

People can and do like what they want when it comes to music, and that's fine, but don't try to tell me that electronic/dance stuff is going to somehow displace actual musicians playing actual instruments.

Also, Iron Maiden last night killed it. Smile

Yah, 70's and 80's rock/metal is awesome. Even some early 90's stuff is solid... in the last 10-15 years what has rock given the world? Nickleback? Metalica? About it.

And yes, the music industry is still headed down the elctronic path, sorry to say it but 90% of the crap on the radio (a lot of it is crap) is electronic. Doesn't matter who it is.

There's tons and tons of good guitar stuff out there. I find / am introduced to something great every other day. I have no fear that no only is it not going away, but it's still technically challenging, and there are loads of people who love it.

Electronic stuff may well fly with non-musicians, and that's fine, but it will never fly with musicians and people who consume live music.

Just some examples of some great stuff I've found in the last few years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gAqvttwq8

243What Am I Listening to Right now? - Page 16 Empty Re: What Am I Listening to Right now? Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'm not saying rock is going anywhere but electronic is absolutely the future of music if it isn't already.

As for the "non-musicians" that's suuuuuch an uninformed and fairly uneducated comment. Take Arty who I posted above, listen to his songs, it's all based off of his classical musical trainign on the piano. Listen to the piano/key board, amazing and takes a talented musician to create that kind of music. He then takes that same melody and minipulates it with other intraments. He will then "push play" when he performs live but it's still his own music.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum