GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 66]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It was such an easy pick too

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

But therein lies the problem with Dorion and his legacy. Always took the road less travelled. I suspect Boucher is the next prospect out but he's probably worthless at this point

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Peterka won’t be a star but yeah I guess it’s a bad pick now. But the fact that he was German and played with stutzle isn’t relevant to the pick

Also Dorion didn’t pick players. That was Trent Mann who has a garbage track record

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What’s going on today?

Is this the senators night of the long knives?

Mandolese and a 7th traded for a 6th.

I can just picture it, sakic telling Staios he’ll give him future considerations for mandolese and Staos replying “ah come on man! What’s a little 6th for 7th? That’s probably 10 spot drop for you!”

Staios. King of making deals.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Would you?

To NYR: Norris
To Ottawa: Trouba

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Would you?

No, but Trouba wouldn’t come here regardless

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Would you?

No, but Trouba wouldn’t come here regardless
I feel like our season rests on the shoulder (pun intended) of Josh Norris. If he can put up 25+ goals and contribute 50 points the Sens will make the playoffs. I still see the Sens making a minor tweak here and there - likely to address their defensive depth as our blueline is still paper thin and is contingent on Chabot playing 70+ games and no injuries on the right side.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah. I think a lot rides on Norris.
That’s 8M in cap space.
If he’s injured it doesn’t mean we fill his spot with a good player. Most likely not in fact.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm a bit remiss to say this, but the Sens will make the playoffs this year. 

- coaching stability (one coach, zero question marks, no stink of old regime)
- more balanced bottom six (I feel our off-season additions outweigh our losses)
- improved goaltending motivated by new contracts
- a more defensively-inclined defensive system

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

We also have a full season of Pinto and hopefully Norris stays healthy. I believe we were something like 0-5 twice in two separate road trips. We go 500 during that stretch and it's a whole different story. And hopefully we're not giving up a goal in the first 5 minutes like we did in something like 15 games last year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm a bit remiss to say this, but the Sens will make the playoffs this year. 

- coaching stability (one coach, zero question marks, no stink of old regime)
- more balanced bottom six (I feel our off-season additions outweigh our losses)
- improved goaltending motivated by new contracts
- a more defensively-inclined defensive system

That’s if it all materializes.
There wasn’t any massive shake up in our core.

I have questions in if Perron adapts with a speedy Pinto. The right side of our D average at best. And that’s talking defensively
I don’t expect us to finish bottom lower than last year but the change in culture and learning the system still has to take effect.
I think we’ll be on the verge of a wildcard spot but wether we take that spot will lategely be due to how other teams fair in the division

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’m feeling like Staios isn’t accomplishing as much as he thought he would. My guess is this is him coming to the realization of what it is to be a GM for a bottom of the conference team that doesn’t have a McDavid aboard to lure players here.

We’re gonna have to get better internally before we can get better on with legit outside roster help

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"remiss" means negligent. I don't think you are negligent to say the Sens will make the playoffs.

Boston just got a massive downgrade in goal. Their core got a year older. I'm not suggesting they miss the playoffs but they aren't sniffing the President's trophy. Also, Swayman has not signed yet; don't forget they went to arbitration last off-season. He knows he's got them over a barrel and still remembers the arbitration hearing.

Tampa lost their Captain and Sergachev. Hedman is a year older. Vasilevskiy's numbers were pretty bad -- rebound candidate or start of a decline? Again, not saying they miss but I don't expect them to be dominant.

Florida lost some depth and two Finals in consecutive years makes them a candidate for a Cup hangover. One can hope, right?

Toronto is running it back except the coaching staff is gone. How will they react (remember when the Sens whined about DJ getting tossed).

Buffalo and Detroit haven't settled their their goaltending situation and Montreal should be getting another nice lottery pick.

Honestly, the changes in coaching, a solid #1 (and backup who's another year removed from double ACL surgery), balancing of the D-corps, strengthening the bottom six and, as previously mentioned, a full season of Pinto -- are they not the most improved team in the Atlantic?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

If healthy our top-six can compete with any team in the East and our third line (Greig, Amadio, Perron) will be super tough to play against.

Our 4th line could have some upside Crookshank, Gregor, Halladay, Ostapchuk, MacEwen plus Jenik and Bourgault are wildcards. 

Goaltending is better (hopefully). But our problems remain on defense. We need a top-four RHD

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If healthy our top-six can compete with any team in the East and our third line (Greig, Amadio, Perron) will be super tough to play against.

Our 4th line could have some upside Crookshank, Gregor, Halladay, Ostapchuk, MacEwen plus Jenik and Bourgault are wildcards. 

Goaltending is better (hopefully). But our problems remain on defense. We need a top-four RHD

Why? Most top-pairings in the league have one puck-mover and one solid, stay-at-home defenseman. And I wouldn't be surprised if, when one of those puck-movers takes the puck all the way into the offensive zone they don't start and end on the same side, so it doesn't matter very much whether you have your puck movers balanced or all lefties or all righties.

With all of Chychrun's offense he was -30. Even if you add in his 16 PP points he would still be -15 which means he was a significant net negative for the team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

R.I.P. Bob Jones (Sens' former assistant coach) passed away from ALS.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ew Ian mendes hired by the sens as a VP. God…

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Ew Ian mendes hired by the sens as a VP. God…

Wow. That’s an interesting move if I’ve ever seen one. Not sure if he’s qualified or not but it’s surprising to say the least.

Personally I could have imagined him working in a PR capacity in an executive position.
Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of his duties revolve around the brand

Edit: I guess I was right. VP communications and Sylvain st-Laurent as director of communications.

I like this move.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum