GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 43 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:https://www.capfriendly.com/

13 teams are over the cap, and the Sens need a top-4 RHD.  Hmm.  But they also need to move on from Zaitsev.  My gut feel is moving Zaitsev for a pricier D-man (enough difference to bring the other team under the cap) you are likely getting an over-priced player back.  Not helpful.  Arizona is reportedly asking for picks for Chychrun, but without his $4.6M cap hit they would be $3.5M under the floor.

Zaitsev ($1M retained) plus a 1st and 2023 2nd, 2024 1st and 2nd -- would that get it done?  

So my issue with giving up 1st rd picks:

- 2023 draft is deep
- When you consider the Boucher pick (huge reach), it would mean that we've essentially given up a 1st in 2021, 2022 (DeBrincat), 2023 and 2024
- Chychrun isn't worth 4 top 60 picks even if it includes getting rid of Zaitsev. That's a lot of draft capital and I'm not sure how much he actually moves the needle.
- The fact that Chychrun hasn't been traded means that Arizona is asking way too much or there isn't a lot of interest. .
- We don't know what will happen with Formenton and Batherson - Batherson being the bigger contributor of the two. I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of my 2023 1st just yet. We don't know if DeBrincat will re-sign which also poses as risk in 2024 - but it could mean we also get a 1st back in a trade

I'd be okay giving up Brannstrom, Zaitsev, Formenton, and a 2024 1st for Chychryn but nothing more.

If we're willing to give up that much for a LHD that really isn't all that special, I'd look at other options like Dobson, Theodore, Girard - all players on teams with cap problems. I think Vegas should be looking at a mini-rebuild and a few assets/picks coming back will help them out quite a bit.

I think I messed up on updating my draft post. What I meant was 2023 2nd and 2024 1st and 2nd. Yes, 2023 is a deep draft and we may still not even make the playoffs.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I guess I was looking to kill 2 birds (Zaitsev out, top-4 RHD in) with one trade, and in that case taking advantage of a team over the cap won't work. There's just been too much chatter about Chychrun to Ottawa -- they must be talking. Looks like Arizona is asking for too much so Dorion is just waiting them out. Just don't wait too long -- injuries can happen early in the season (or even pre-season) that would force other teams to go shopping for a top-4 D.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Id wait for the price to go down. I’m sure Dorion made a decent offer. If anything in the past has shown us is that Dorion will pay a little extra than we would like In trades. So if Arizona isn’t hitting then it’s because they’re asking way too much.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

A few early (and probably obvious) observations from the WJHC:

- Kleven is a physical beast but he's slow, his skating needs work, and his first pass isn't great. I suspect he'll need at least two years in the AHL after his last year at UND and I don't see him being more than a third pairing d-man

- Hamara is a poor man's Chabot. He has second pairing upside and underrated passing and skating. I actually notice him more than some of the higher profile d-men on the team.

- Jarventie is a much better passer than I thought but I was expecting him to be more dominant in this tournament considering he's played a full year in the AHL now.

- Brad Lambert will be an NHL bust. Way too selfish out there - but I am happy to see Raty have success this year in the tournament.

- Tonight will be a big test for Merilainen who has had a very average tournament. I suspect he'll get lit up and the Canadians will walk all over Finland.

- Greig is exactly the player I thought he'd be.

- I am hoping for more from Ostapchuk in the December WJHC. He's been okay this tournament but I think will flourish with more opportunities in a few months.

- Knies (Toront's 2nd rd pick) is a turnover machine and also appears to be a selfish player. He has a lot of skill but not a lot of hockey IQ. Seems like a perfect pick for the Leafs.

- Although not in the summer tournament, I am hopeful that Boucher makes the December WJHC. I think his size and forecheck prowess will be the difference for USA.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Kleven is a good skater for his size and has underrated passing. He’s an nhl lock but yes he’ll take time to get here. He can become a second pair shutdown guy. He’s something we’re desperately missing on defence

Boucher is a lock for the next WJC. Maybe Ostapchuk can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I think Kleven is a good skater for his size and has underrated passing. He’s an nhl lock but yes he’ll take time to get here. He can become a second pair shutdown guy. He’s something we’re desperately missing on defence

Boucher is a lock for the next WJC. Maybe Ostapchuk can play 2nd or 3rd line minutes there.

I'm not sure about Kleven having top-four upside. He sort of just flicks the puck out of the zone versus using his feet to fend off the forecheck/find an outlet. He reminds me of Gryba in the way that he plays. I see him on a bottom pairing or I guess maybe as a second pairing in a very traditional stay at home d-man role. But his foot-speed and lateral movement is slow so hopefully he can work on that in the AHL.

I agree that Boucher should be a lock unless the hit left a bad taste with the coaching staff. I'm not sure Ostapchuk has the traditional top-six skill for Canada. Probably 3rd line minutes again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How about them Latvians. Makes me wonder how NEELY is doing.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:How about them Latvians.  Makes me wonder how NEELY is doing.

I'm just happy there's an Ozolinsh on their team!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Grieg is a blue chip prospect. May not be a high scorer but does everything well and is smart. He can fill a sort of Gallagher Marchand role for us one day

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Grieg is a blue chip prospect. May not be a high scorer but does everything well and is smart. He can fill a sort of Gallagher Marchand role for us one day

I'm aiming for Mike Peca Smile

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:How about them Latvians.  Makes me wonder how NEELY is doing.

I'm just happy there's an Ozolinsh on their team!

Wai, a Latvian player's name not ending in 's'?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, it's "Ozolins" -- "Gustavs Ozolins".

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not sure I see a mcdavid level player out of Bedard but he certainly will be a superstar

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How did people have Finland as the best team? They look terrible

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

They have some firepower for sure but I'd take probably 4 or 5 Canadians before I'd take the best Finn

On that note, Greig was an absolute monster tonight. I'd still like him to play the year in Belleville but both Formenton and Pinto should be looking over their shoulders

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Not sure I see a mcdavid level player out of Bedard but he certainly will be a superstar

He's not as fast and he's 4 inches shorter than McDavid. Height doesn't really matter but it's McDavid's speed and ability to perform at full speed that separates him from the rest. I think Bedard will be more like Matthews in that he'll be a shoot first top-line player

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've been watching hockey for over a half century. I've watched (live, in person) Kharlamov, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson. I've never seen a player with this much acceleration, edge-work and ability to stick handle at top speed. McDavid (whom I have not seen live, in-person -- however high definition comes close) is better at most things than every one before him. I do question his so-called hockey-IQ, though. Maybe his physical tools are so far above everyone else that he never had the need to play "smart". Of course hockey IQ is not something that can be learned. The fact that he's playing in the cap era also doesn't help him, since hockey is *not* basketball and you *do* need a good supporting cast.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

That's the problem with building a team in the cap era. It's hard to insulate the highest paid players. Would you rather Draistaitl and McDavid at $21M or Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson at $21M?

Matthews-Marner-Tavares-Nylander for $40M or Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson-Chabot-Stutlze-DeBrincat-Giroux for $43M?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 43 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum