GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 55 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

CTC is going to be buzzing tonight. Must-win game early in the season to keep the fan momentum going. I'm expecting big things from the top-six tonight

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It’s not a must win, but I’d be shocked if we lost tonight. Virtually everything is leaning in our favour.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Sens aren’t winning but we’re also not loosing to Arizona bad. 😂

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Guaranteed win tonight

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:The Sens aren’t winning but we’re also not loosing to Arizona bad. 😂

Hoping the Sens can ride the momentum from last night's game. Buffalo seems to be playing pretty well and Toronto was a one-goal game. Sens are right in the thick of things, and I suspect they'll give Washington a good run for their money on Thursday.

That said, defensive zone needs a lot of work. A LOT

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hey fellas! Figured I'd come back around once the season finally started.... I was at the CTC last night, and man, what an atmosphere. Felt great to be in a packed building watching a GOOD hockey team.

Brannstrom continues to impress me...looks like he finally "figured it out", here's hoping that's the case.

I think Chabot has gotta tighten up his D game a bit...sometimes he's just too casual/slow.

The forwards looked pretty great...and thankfully Swayman was pretty terrible for Boston.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Hey fellas!  Figured I'd come back around once the season finally started....  I was at the CTC last night, and man, what an atmosphere.  Felt great to be in a packed building watching a GOOD hockey team.  

Brannstrom continues to impress me...looks like he finally "figured it out", here's hoping that's the case.

I think Chabot has gotta tighten up his D game a bit...sometimes he's just too casual/slow.  

The forwards looked pretty great...and thankfully Swayman was pretty terrible for Boston.

It was a weird game. 12 goals scored and you can't really blame the goalies for any of them. Sens also hit the post twice and had a goal called back. Could have been an even crazier score. Boston is still a super dangerous team even without McAvoy and Marchand. Washington should be a pretty equal challenge and without the home-opener buzz I'm very curious to see how the Sens stack up.

I'm not sure we can really point the finger at Chabot. If anything, he needs to hit the net when he's driving it. He misses that short-side shot all the time. Defensively he was fine - maybe not fantastic - but he played just shy of 26 minutes which is way too much this early in the season. He was still a +2. Sanderson played just over 20 minutes which is insanse considering it's his 3rd NHL game and he didn't play much last season. I'm hoping they find a way to spread out a few of Chabot's minutes.

Norris and DeBrincat both need to find their footing. Once those two get going this offense could be lights out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I agree with Tim about Chabot. Mentioned it to my son during the game hire he often appears nonchalant, and it costs opportunities.

Harmonic was lost out there. And also losing physical battles. Reminded me of Zaitsev. Wouldn't surprise me if he's out next game, unfortunately that probably means Zaitsev will draw in.

Motte and Kelly aren't showing what they did in the poor season. Wouldn't mind seeing Brassard, but I'm not expecting multiple changes after a win.

Forsberg was great, despite the 5 GA.

Caps will be without Kuznetsov. He only got 1 game for a deliberate 2 hander to the face! And he's a repeat offender ($5k fine for high sticking last season). Idiots.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I agree with Tim about Chabot. Mentioned it to my son during the game hire he often appears nonchalant, and it costs opportunities.

Harmonic was lost out there. And also losing physical battles. Reminded me of Zaitsev.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's out next game, unfortunately that probably means Zaitsev will draw in.

Motte and Kelly aren't showing what they did in the poor season. Wouldn't mind seeing Brassard, but I'm not expecting multiple changes after a win.

Caps will be without Kuznetsov. He only got 1 game for a deliberate 2 hander to the face! And he's a repeat offender ($5k fine for high sticking last season). Idiots.

Connor Brown out long-term too. Sounds like he migjt need surgery. 

Aaron Ekblad out too. Florida is in trouble. Lots of playoff spots open for the taking. 

Chabot I think just has a losing mentality. He's played a lot of winless minutes. I think he'll find that spark that will get his motor going

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:I agree with Tim about Chabot. Mentioned it to my son during the game hire he often appears nonchalant, and it costs opportunities.

Harmonic was lost out there. And also losing physical battles. Reminded me of Zaitsev.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's out next game, unfortunately that probably means Zaitsev will draw in.

Connor Brown out long-term too. Sounds like he migjt need surgery. 

Aaron Ekblad out too. Florida is in trouble. Lots of playoff spots open for the taking. 

Chabot I think just has a losing mentality. He's played a lot of winless minutes. I think he'll find that spark that will get his motor going

I think he’s asked to do too much and he’s trying to conserve energy. I don’t see a looser there but our back end isn’t exactly competitive.

We still very much need a top 4 RHD to help with the load.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Hey fellas!  Figured I'd come back around once the season finally started....  I was at the CTC last night, and man, what an atmosphere.  Felt great to be in a packed building watching a GOOD hockey team.  

It was an amazing game to watch on TV and The CTC looked to be buzzing. That should go a long way for the players to see what Ottawa can really look like.

Alfie being there was the cherry on top. I hope he rejoins the fold in one capacity or another.

Even though it was a high scoring game on both side this game must have energized the guys a lot going forward. This team can score.

Pinto is so dangerous out there. He could be a legit contender for the Calder at this pace.

Just wish we could resolve the Formenton situation.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With Brannstrom and Sanderson exceeding expectations we should not be concerned about the back-end, but Chabot hasn't been good, Holden has been below average and Hamonic has been Zaitsev-like. Too early to be worrying but if those three played up to expectations we would be 2-1 or better.

If this continues, how long before they call up JBD?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:With Brannstrom and Sanderson exceeding expectations we should not be concerned about the back-end, but Chabot hasn't been good, Holden has been below average and Hamonic has been Zaitsev-like.  Too early to be worrying but if those three played up to expectations we would be 2-1 or better.  

I have no issues with hamonic. He and Sanderson have been solid. Unless they get an actual upgrade through trade, he’s fine.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:With Brannstrom and Sanderson exceeding expectations we should not be concerned about the back-end, but Chabot hasn't been good, Holden has been below average and Hamonic has been Zaitsev-like.  Too early to be worrying but if those three played up to expectations we would be 2-1 or better.  

The problem isn’t necessarily that we don’t have good Dmen but many of them aren’t ready for heavy minutes. If you’re gonna keep Sanderson on the 2nd pairing you need to pair him with someone better than Hamonic. Ideally he could be paired with Zub and we would need someone more suited to top pairing minutes with Chabot.
Hamonic, Holden, JBD, Thompson. Either aren’t suited anymore for 2nd line minutes with a rookie or or aren’t there yet because they’re rookies themselves.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

The problem isn’t necessarily that we don’t have good Dmen but many of them aren’t ready for heavy minutes. If you’re gonna keep Sanderson on the 2nd pairing you need to pair him with someone better than Hamonic. Ideally he could be paired with Zub and we would need someone more suited to top pairing minutes with Chabot.
Hamonic, Holden, JBD, Thompson. Either aren’t suited anymore for 2nd line minutes with a rookie or or aren’t there yet because they’re rookies themselves.

Don’t agree with that. Sanderson can play with anybody. He’s that good.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yes, Sanderson is that good, but I am very surprised you have no issues with Hamonic. He was brutal on two of the goals. On another play he was outmuscled easily in front of the net. He ended up dumping another Boston forward on the play but by this time the puck was going into the net.

We need him to be a tough SOB in the crease and not skating into open ice when the other team has possession. He wasn't doing that Tuesday night. He's suited for the third pairing (as is Holden and Zaitsev, unfortunately). We definitely need a better solution in the top-four. Our best D-men have been Sanderson, Brannstrom, Zub and Chabot. Only one of those is a rightie, which appears to be a problem to DJ (or whoever determines the pairings). It would be scary to try Sanderson-Brannstrom as the second pairing. That's our dilemma. They got Hamonic and Holden as the veterans to help out Brannsotrom and Sanderson but they simply aren't up to the task of playing on the second pairing on a playoff NHL team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yes, Sanderson is that good, but I am very surprised you have no issues with Hamonic.  He was brutal on two of the goals.  On another play he was outmuscled easily in front of the net.  He ended up dumping another Boston forward on the play but by this time the puck was going into the net.

We need him to be a tough SOB in the crease and not skating into open ice when the other team  has possession.  He wasn't doing that Tuesday night.  He's suited for the third pairing (as is Holden and Zaitsev, unfortunately).  We definitely need a better solution in the top-four.  Our best D-men have been Sanderson, Brannstrom, Zub and Chabot.  Only one of those is a rightie, which appears to be a problem to DJ (or whoever determines the pairings).  It would be scary to try Sanderson-Brannstrom as the second pairing.  That's our dilemma.  They got Hamonic and Holden as the veterans to help out Brannsotrom and Sanderson but they simply aren't up to the task of playing on the second pairing on a playoff NHL team.

I’m not hung up on playoffs like other people might be. We are still unlikely to make it even if we added another D. Hamonic has been better than Chabot so far, he and Sanderson have passed both the eye test and numbers test.

Holden is irrelevant to me as he plays low minutes

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They are pros/veterans and it's early, so hopefully they figure it out. I think bringing up JBD would be a mistake; need someone with more experience. Chychrun is another lefties, injury-prone, and there's a lot of interest in him right now which means the price will be high. DeMelo would have been perfect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 55 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum