GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:He has the team worst -28, a full 10 below the next worst.  How about we just say he's having a sub-par season.

What’s his utilization? He could and probably is used in the teams most difficult match ups.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

His oZS% is 44.7, which is skewed a bit toward defensive starts, but not that much. By comparison Stralman is 36.8; Gostisbehere is 46.3%.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:He has the team worst -28, a full 10 below the next worst.  How about we just say he's having a sub-par season.

Yes, as already discussed, this is a very simplistic and misleading way to view a player. Arizona has a -72 goal differential. Jakob Chychrun plays about 23 minutes a night, a full two minutes more than anyone else. 55% of his "starts" are in the defensive zone. It would actually be almost impossible for him to have anything other than a terrible +/-. As I previously mentioned, his advanced stats are very good. He would be a great addition to the Sens, or any other team for that matter.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sounds like Colin White could return to the lineup on Saturday.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Sounds like Colin White could return to the lineup on Saturday.

Same with The Hamburglar Smile

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

What's with all this Fiala talk? He's one of Minnesota's best players and projected for 70 points. Why would they give him up in-year and what would it cost for us to acquire him? I realize they have cap issues which is $12.6M next year and over $14M for two years after. I know they have some good, cheap prospects like Rossi, Addison, Lambos (and Boldy) set for regular minutes, but what do we have that Minnesota would want? And do we think we can sign him for under $7M a year on a longer term (3-4 year) deal? He's making $5.1M now. Would they want White? Brannstrom? Doesn't make much sense to me...

Also it appears that Nick Paul has come out and said he expects a deal to be done with Ottawa before the deadline. Good news so long as it's no longer/more than 3x3. We should be aiming for Paul to be on our 4th line with Formenton-Pinto-Brown as our L3. That to me is a playoff worthy 3rd line and bottom six depth.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm trying to figure out what the trade market / value is for a player like Nick Paul. Given his cap hit, ability to play on the PK, and play up and down the lineup, I think he's worth a late 1st rd pick or a prospect. Teams win Stanley Cups by having Paul-type players in their bottom six.

Part of me thinks we can get Raddysh or Katchouk out of Tampa, Kravtsov out of NYR (maybe by adding something else), Howden out of Vegas, etc. Maybe this is the type of hockey trade Dorion has been alluding to?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm trying to figure out what the trade market / value is for a player like Nick Paul. Given his cap hit, ability to play on the PK, and play up and down the lineup, I think he's worth a late 1st rd pick or a prospect. Teams win Stanley Cups by having Paul-type players in their bottom six.

Part of me thinks we can get Raddysh or Katchouk out of Tampa, Kravtsov out of NYR (maybe by adding something else), Howden out of Vegas, etc. Maybe this is the type of hockey trade Dorion has been alluding to?

I couldn't see Nick Paul fetching a first rounder, even if it's a late first rounder. He's good, we like him...but most teams already have Nick Pauls. He would be a depth guy on a playoff team, and depth guys don't fetch first rounders.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think he and Forsberg can easily fetch second round picks and maybe Paul gets a first from Tampa or someone along those lines

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think he and Forsberg can easily fetch second round picks and maybe Paul gets a first from Tampa or someone along those lines
doubt Forsberg fetches a 2nd. Maybe a third.

I think Paul gets us a second if he’s not resigned. A team would have to be pretty desperate to give up a 1st for Paul.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Brendan Lemieux is a very different player but very similar number of games and points to Paul, he fetched a 4th. Paul is a better defensive player, Lemieux brings more sandpaper. I think getting a 2nd for Paul may be a pipe dream.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It would be a shame to trade Paul now. I thought for sure he had some playoff experience with us, but HockeyDB says nope. Anyway, he's suffered with the crap Ottawa teams and has earned the right to stick with the team as they become good, but it's not like our future success hinges on him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'd like to retain him too but it can't be for more than 3 x 3. He should look no further than Dzingel as an example of what happens when you think you're worth more than you are in the open market.

I feel the same about Connor Brown next season. He's putting up great numbers this year but he'll be 29 when he become a free agent. I'm not sure I want to invest in him any longer than 3 years at $4.5M per.

Figure in the next 2/3 years you're adding Greig (2 LW), Sokolov (4 LW) and Boucher (4 RW) into the lineup. Do Brown and Paul fit in around them?

I think you need to consider how you go about finding a long-term RW for Stutzle. I'd love Dorion to make a 'hockey trade' with Arizona who only have 9 players signed next season. I think you can trade quantity for quality and get Keller so long as Arizona gets some futures out of it.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm souring pretty hard on Parker Kelly. He's meh at best

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sokolov is a great story but he's likely a tweener just like Kelly and myriad others. Paul seemed pretty confident that he'll get a deal done -- I don't believe it will be as high as 3x3; I don't see how he could turn down $8M over 3 years. Once his playing career is done he'd be excellent in the player development side of things so his employment status should be pretty solid. The $8M would be the nest egg.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think Sokolov is a third liner. He actually reminds me of Mark Stone the way he skates. But he may be a few years away unless the Sens trade Connor Brown which I think is a real possibility next season.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Sokolov is a great story but he's likely a tweener just like Kelly and myriad others.  Paul seemed pretty confident that he'll get a deal done -- I don't believe it will be as high as 3x3; I don't see how he could turn down $8M over 3 years.  Once his playing career is done he'd be excellent in the player development side of things so his employment status should be pretty solid. The $8M would be the nest egg.

Kelly will likely not make the nhl past being a fourth line Grinder but sokolov has a lot more upside. He can top out as a second line player. Still a few years away

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sokolov certainly *looks* like Stone with the awkward skating and that wild hair. Very few players with limited skating ability ever make an impact in the league like Stone. He's got size, he's very likable, certainly a man of character (just don't ask him about his political affiliations; no, seriously, don't) but it's still a stretch that he will make an impact beyond being a big 3rd liner with a good shot (having a good shot must be combined with the ability to get into open spaces). Stone worked tirelessly on his skating and, by all accounts, Sokolov does not shy away from the hard work. I guess we'll see. I
m certainly rooting for him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum