GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 28 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Sens claim Adam Gaudette (2018 Hobey Baker winner) off waivers from Chicago.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Damnit, I missed the last 2 periods. Lemieux bit Brady? That’s ridiculous

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Twice, apparently. He bit him twice.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Debrusk for White. Who says no?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Debrusk for White. Who says no?

Boston. Jake's contract is $3.675M this year and then he's RFA. White is $4.75M for 3 more seasons. DeBrusk scored 19 goals in 65 games in the season before the pandemic. White's best season came a year before that when he scored 14. So his "best" was not as good and he's been "bad" longer. He's also out until after the Olympics or even longer.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The only thing White has going for him is his Boston accent. Since he probably won't be very effective this year (coming off major shoulder surgery) and he will most likely be bought out this off-season, why would they make a trade now?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Boston.  Jake's contract is $3.675M this year and then he's RFA.  White is $4.75M for 3 more seasons.  DeBrusk scored 19 goals in 65 games in the season before the pandemic.  White's best season came a year before that when he scored 14.  So his "best" was not as good and he's been "bad" longer.  He's also out until after the Olympics or even longer.

I'll counter back here:

- Colin White is from Boston
- Colin White played hockey at Boston College
- While White is injured, he's supposed to be back in March. This allows Boston to put White on the IR, acquire someone else via trade, and White can be ready for the playoffs
- Boston has poor center and RW depth behind Bergeron and Pasta - White fits a 3C or 2 RW role now and can be an affordable 2C once Bergeron retires
- Bergeron is 36, Marchand is 33 - they're on borrowed time at this point
- LW depth is Boston's greatest strength (Marchand, Hall, Haula, Nosek, etc)
- Debrusk is making $4.85M this year meaning he needs to be qualified at that amount (White's cap hit is less)
- Boston is the perfect landing spot for White both from a personal and style of play perspective
- White outscored Debrusk last year on a garbage team. He'll put up points with Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle
- Not sure there are better offers and a more desperate GM than PD right now. They may be able to get a pick out of it as well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:

Boston.  Jake's contract is $3.675M this year and then he's RFA.  White is $4.75M for 3 more seasons.  DeBrusk scored 19 goals in 65 games in the season before the pandemic.  White's best season came a year before that when he scored 14.  So his "best" was not as good and he's been "bad" longer.  He's also out until after the Olympics or even longer.

I'll counter back here:

- Colin White is from Boston
- Colin White played hockey at Boston College
- While White is injured, he's supposed to be back in March. This allows Boston to put White on the IR, acquire someone else via trade, and White can be ready for the playoffs
- Boston has poor center and RW depth behind Bergeron and Pasta - White fits a 3C or 2 RW role now and can be an affordable 2C once Bergeron retires
- Bergeron is 36, Marchand is 33 - they're on borrowed time at this point
- LW depth is Boston's greatest strength (Marchand, Hall, Haula, Nosek, etc)
- Debrusk is making $4.85M this year meaning he needs to be qualified at that amount (White's cap hit is less)
- Boston is the perfect landing spot for White both from a personal and style of play perspective
- White outscored Debrusk last year on a garbage team. He'll put up points with Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle
- Not sure there are better offers and a more desperate GM than PD right now. They may be able to get a pick out of it as well.

All valid points (didn't know about the QO). But a White hasn't shown anything more than a 3rd liner (his 14 goals were from playing with Stone) and $4.75M for 3 more years isn't worth it for the extra couple months at the end of this season (they can have him for half that after he's bought out).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I hear Logan Brown is finally getting it. Tied for the lead in points among forwards on his AHL team. More impressively, he's played in all 19 games -- and now he's been called up by the Blues.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I hear Logan Brown is finally getting it.  Tied for the lead in points among forwards on his AHL team.  More impressively, he's played in all 19 games -- and now he's been called up by the Blues.

He’s always played well in the AHL. That’s never been a question.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

White isn't a bad player. He's had injuries and sometimes players just need fresh starts. He will flourish in Boston if he goes there

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I hear Logan Brown is finally getting it.  Tied for the lead in points among forwards on his AHL team.  More impressively, he's played in all 19 games -- and now he's been called up by the Blues.

He’s always played well in the AHL. That’s never been a question.

But has he ever played 19 games without missing any?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:White isn't a bad player. He's had injuries and sometimes players just need fresh starts. He will flourish in Boston if he goes there

I like White but he never grew to anywhere near his potential (or at least his potential as espoused by one Pierre McGuire). And at his current salary he is significantly over-paid.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Not sure I understand the Cole Sherwood trade. They trying to free up a roster spot ? Perhaps there's an issue with him in Belleville?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Batherson is back so they have to send at least one callup back to Belleville. Plus they picked Gaudette on waivers -- either he goes to Belleville or another of the callups. So basically you have 2 players incoming. Maybe Kole needs to be closer to family in the US?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Blues are playing 11F and Brown still manages to get just 3:36 through 2 periods. But he picks up a goal. Fresh legs.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I am not sure I understand the logic of moving Stutzle back to the wing? He looked great as center and made excellent use of the open ice... Why not leave him at C and try him with Batherson? They could keep Sanford at RW1 or move C. Brown there and keep Paul as LW2.

I am starting to really question DJ's decision making here....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am not sure I understand the logic of moving Stutzle back to the wing? He looked great as center and made excellent use of the open ice... Why not leave him at C and try him with Batherson? They could keep Sanford at  RW1 or move C. Brown there and keep Paul as LW2.

I am starting to really question DJ's decision making here....

Tierney, Stutzle, Paul all shoot left and they probably wanted balance down the middle. Gaudette shoots right.

But then I look at the practice lines:

Sens Wednesday morning skate:

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stützle Paul CBrown
Formenton Gaudette Sanford
Tierney Gambrell Watson
Ennis

Chabot Zub
Mete Zaitsev
Holden Thomson
Del Zotto

Gustavsson-starters end.