GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 31 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, I don't think this is necessarily a positive move.  McGuire hasn't worked in the league for 30 years.  And then this was Melnyk's decision...a man not known for his great decision-making.  "Player development" seems like a bit of a weird role for McGuire as well.

I dunno - I think he'd be fine with player development but I see this as a more of a senior assistant to Dorion and Mann both in terms of scouting and making sure the players they draft are successful.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

He did say he was to help Dorion with trades can only help our pro scouting. Especially after last year

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Im not a fan of McGuire as a person but in this case I think it’s a good hire. We absolutely need to improve our pro-scouting and Pierre will absolutely help with that.
It’s a senior role to help pierre but… if Dorion messes up i will bet my last dollar that McGuire is the next GM of the team.

What I do like also about this is I’m sure Pierre is someone Melnyk respects and won’t be able to bend or intimidate as much. It adds a level of credibility to this organization.
I’m hoping this does good thing for the organization.

So as much as the human can be a dink at times, I support this hire amd look forward to what he brings.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Elliotte Friedman just said on the Wally & Methot podcast that he thinks an extension is being discussed with Dorion.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Elliotte said his favourite player ever to interact with was The Alfie so that's nice. He also says Alfie told him in 2007 during the Finals that if they won the Cup that year, he would've retired.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Elliotte Friedman just said on the Wally & Methot podcast that he thinks an extension is being discussed with Dorion.

I’m sure it is. I wonder how long a term it will be and I wonder if Melnyk’s expectations are starting to lean on Dorion.

I think there’s a good chance the McGuire hire puts pressure on creating results. If he can’t. Internal successor

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I dunno. I like it. If it keeps Melnyk and Dorion out off-season the media and focusing on their own jobs while providing a sounding board for Dorion then I'm on board

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I dunno. I like it. If it keeps Melnyk and Dorion out off-season the media and focusing on their own jobs while providing a sounding board for Dorion then I'm on board

Of course it’s good as a sounding board and hopefully some help on the pro-level but let’s not kid ourselves, this is in case Dorion screws up again.

Plus, McGuire was out of a job at NBC.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The only thing odd about this hiring (other than Melnyk spending money) is the title of Senior Director of Player Development. Sens still don't have a real AGM yet it really sounds like that would be a large component of what McGuire will be doing. We all hope he will also help pro scouting, but that's not in his title, either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The only thing odd about this hiring (other than Melnyk spending money) is the title of Senior Director of Player Development. Sens still don't have a real AGM yet it really sounds like that would be a large component of what McGuire will be doing. We all hope he will also help pro scouting, but that's not in his title, either.

Title doesn’t mean anything. He’s basically an advisor of everything.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I saw his title referred to as VP Hockey Development.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So apparently Konecny is on the market. 24 years old, RW, 4 x $5.5M remaining on his contract, former Ottawa 67.

If this isn't a good fit for the Sens I don't know what is.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So apparently Konecny is on the market. 24 years old, RW,  4 x $5.5M remaining on his contract, former Ottawa 67.

I am not really sure what the Flyers would want in return but they also have Nolan Patrick who I'd be interested in acquiring as well.

To Ottawa: Konecny, Patrick
To Philly: White, L. Brown, D'Accord/Forsberg, 2021 2nd rd pick

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I saw his title referred to as VP Hockey Development.

That would make more sense. And I *do* realize the title is mostly moot.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He's essentially a senior advisor for all aspects hockey and a sounding board for Dorion. I've listened to Maguire on Team 1200 every morning for 2+ years (stopped when I stopped commuting to work) and he always spoke highly of Dorion. I don't think he's gunning for his job - that is unless Melnyk promotes Dorion to a VP Position with a stake in player development and scouting. That said Maguire knows what he's getting himself into with Melnyk. Maybe his hiring will help improve the credibility of the team and maybe he has access to people that can fulfill other roles within the organization.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So apparently Konecny is on the market. 24 years old, RW,  4 x $5.5M remaining on his contract, former Ottawa 67.

I am not really sure what the Flyers would want in return but they also have Nolan Patrick who I'd be interested in acquiring as well.

To Ottawa: Konecny, Patrick
To Philly: White, L. Brown, D'Accord/Forsberg, 2021 2nd rd pick

Say Ottawa can bring in Konecny, Patrick, and Henrique (X% salary retained) and it costs a combination of White, L. Brown, D'Accord, and a few picks/prospects to make it happen (just speculating), does this team make the playoffs?

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Konecny
Paul-Henrique-C.Brown
Formenton-Patrick-Dadonov
Extra: Watson

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-UFA (Demers)
Mete-Zaitsev
Extra: J. Brown

Murray
Forsberg/Gus

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Adam Larsson could be another RHD target for the Sens. At 28 years old he may be looking for term though which doesn't really fit with what the Sens are trying to do.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:The only thing odd about this hiring (other than Melnyk spending money) is the title of Senior Director of Player Development. Sens still don't have a real AGM yet it really sounds like that would be a large component of what McGuire will be doing. We all hope he will also help pro scouting, but that's not in his title, either.

Title doesn’t mean anything. He’s basically an advisor of everything.

Basically.

If you want another title you could also call him GM in waiting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 31 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum