GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+7
wprager
Flo The Action
Lagoon
tim1_2
PTFlea
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 60 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:When your AHL team is struggling and you're wasting picks on taxi squad players it's poor asset management

AHL team success has nothing to do with nhl success

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:Apparently Chlapik is on waivers for the purpose of buyout according to Garrioch

Makes sense. He wasn't going to crack the roster here and the Sens are giving him a chance to play elsewhere. My guess is he goes to San Jose with all the other ex Ottawa players (Karlsson, Balcers, Jaros) or he plays on Europe.

Another mismanaged prospect? That's Balcers, Jaros, Lajoie, Chlapik out the door this season

Other than MAYBE Balcers, none of those guys are NHLers anyway.  We have a ton of prospects.  Can't keep em all.

Asset management . Balcers and Chlapik could have gotten you picks to spend on guys like Josh Brown. Geeze.

Seriously though Chlapik and Balcers lost for nothing. Probably could have gotten a 7th for Chlapik or an AHL dman to help in Belleville. Balcers probably another prospect in the same position

Do you not think they tried to tried Chlapik prior to this?

Most teams already have multiple Chlapiks. I always love the assumption that just because something didn't happen (i.e. trading Chlapik for a late pick) that means it wasn't investigated/attempted.

It's totally normal to overvalue your own team's prospects/players, which is what we've historically done here...whether it's Erik Condra, Peter Regin, Patrick Wiercioch, Matt Puempel, Stephane Da Costa, Shane Prince, or any # of other guys, it's a normal thing to do. The fact is, when a guy gets waived or has his contract terminated, there are actual valid reasons for this. Yeah, we had a bit of asset mismanagement with Balcers, but the effect is negligible.

As far as the NHL is concerned, Chlapik is nothing. He played 57 games for us. It just wasn't gonna happen.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:When your AHL team is struggling and you're wasting picks on taxi squad players it's poor asset management

AHL team success has nothing to do with nhl success

Disagree. It's a big step towards turning pro and it helps with player development. If you're forcing a player in the wrong spot and they don't produce, it could impact them psychologically. For example, playing Lassi in the top-two right now probably isn't a great move, but having someone there he can learn from and not playing top minutes every game helps with the transition. It's why AHL teams add veterans. There is definitely a correlation between AHL and NHL success. A good example is Tampa Bay and the Syracuse Crunch over the years

Last edited by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

With the Stepan injury, the L. Brown 'call-up', and Dzingel joining the team at some point next week, I was trying to envision what Ottawa's lineup could look like.

Stutzle-Norris/Anisimov-Batherson
Tkachuk-L.Brown/Norris-Dzingel
Paul-White-Dadonov
C.Brown-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstron-Gudbranson
Reilly/Wolanin-Zub

Can this lineup push for a playoff spot?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:With the Stepan injury, the L. Brown 'call-up', and Dzingel joining the team at some point next week, I was trying to envision what Ottawa's lineup could look like.

Paul-White-Dadonov
C.Brown-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstron-Gudbranson
Reilly/Wolanin-Zub

Yes. We control our fate. However I don’t see brown on the team

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DJ Smith has completely changed his lineup and style. Not sure why he rode the vets early, so odd, but he looks a lot better now, that's for sure.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:With the Stepan injury, the L. Brown 'call-up', and Dzingel joining the team at some point next week, I was trying to envision what Ottawa's lineup could look like.

Paul-White-Dadonov
C.Brown-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstron-Gudbranson
Reilly/Wolanin-Zub

It's between Brown and Anisimov with Stepan out IMO

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

Paul-White-Dadonov
C.Brown-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstron-Gudbranson
Reilly/Wolanin-Zub

It's between Brown and Anisimov with Stepan out IMO
GTFO here with Anisimov Laugh1 . especially on the first line!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:DJ Smith has completely changed his lineup and style.  Not sure why he rode the vets early, so odd, but he looks a lot better now, that's for sure.

it's hard to know. was it Dorion that was pushing to have vets in the line-up? (i mean, he is the one that went out there to acquire them).
maybe he got the go-ahead from Dorion to push them aside when he saw youth outplaying vets.

I wouldn't put it past Dorion to meddle.
I think his experience with Boucher making a lot of decisions on who to acquire may have pushed him in thinking he might know best. DJ is a rookie coach. he may have been brought in fully knowing that part of the iced roster would also be in Dorion's hands.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:DJ Smith has completely changed his lineup and style.  Not sure why he rode the vets early, so odd, but he looks a lot better now, that's for sure.

it's hard to know. was it Dorion that was pushing to have vets in the line-up? (i mean, he is the one that went out there to acquire them).
maybe he got the go-ahead from Dorion to push them aside when he saw youth outplaying vets.

I think his experience with Boucher making a lot of decisions on who to acquire may have pushed him in thinking he might know best. DJ is a rookie coach. he may have been brought in fully knowing that part of the iced roster would also be in Dorion's hands.

Yeah, i wondered if it was a push from Dorion too.  Hard to imagine he would meddle though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The only one that looks like an idiot now is dorion for wasting picks to bring these guys in.

Watson is playing the least amount of minutes on the team, Paquette and galchenyuk are gone, Coburn relegated to taxi squad, haven't heard anything about j brown in the longest time, and now Stepan is out for the year (waste of a 2nd and now we can't flip him). So all those offseason moves to acquire gudbranson. Boggles my mind that tkachuk is doing all this fighting and hitting while Watson and Haley are invisible on the ice.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The only one that looks like an idiot now is dorion for wasting picks to bring these guys in.

Watson is playing the least amount of minutes on the team, Paquette and galchenyuk are gone, Coburn relegated to taxi squad, haven't heard anything about j brown in the longest time, and now Stepan is out for the year (waste of a 2nd and now we can't flip him). So all those offseason moves to acquire gudbranson. Boggles my mind that tkachuk is doing all this fighting and hitting while Watson and Haley are invisible on the ice.  

Watson is a good fourth liner who brings energy and physicality and playoff experience. No issues with his game this year. Paquette and Coburn weren’t added to be bud contributing pieces, it was a cap space move to gain a pick. If you’re gonna complain that they wasted a 2nd, you also have to be objective and say they got a free 2nd in that trade, and now Dzingel who is much better than Paq and Galchenyuk even if it’s just half a year. It’s funny I always see this from sens fans - when we trade a 3rd or 2nd it’s a waste of assets, and when we get a 3rd or 2nd in a trade it’s a low value lottery ticket and the trade was Dung. Can’t have it both ways.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah, i wondered if it was a push from Dorion too.  Hard to imagine he would meddle though.

I don’t see how it’s hard to understand. Both DJ and Dorion wanted veterans added. They gave the veterans time to get into game shape since there was basically no camp. The ones who couldn’t make it have been taken out or had their roles reduced. Of course they were going to give Anisimov rope, he was a decent player last year and had a good camp by their reports

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Batherson tied with Spezza for most goals in a row in every game. That’s quite the accomplishment

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I don’t see how it’s hard to understand. Both DJ and Dorion wanted veterans added. They gave the veterans time to get into game shape since there was basically no camp. The ones who couldn’t make it have been taken out or had their roles reduced. Of course they were going to give Anisimov rope, he was a decent player last year and had a good camp by their reports

Also, brannstrom wasn't an option early on.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Because it cost us the year.  Let them play limited roles to begin and work their way up if and when they got into game shape.

Year gone because of stupid decisions.  First by Dorion, then by Smith. 

Stützle should have been on pp1 from the moment it was evident he was better than most players.  There's really too many examples to list of stupid decisions

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

You mean like playing Coburn tonight over Wolanin and Brannstrom, or benching Colin White for the first several games of the year ?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Clark Bishop > Logan Brown

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 60 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum