GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hard to say Brown has any value right now.

I guess if we're to compare Brown and Balcers since 2018-19:

Brown:
AHL: 84 GP, 21 G, 49 A, 70 pts, +25
NHL: 25 GP, 1 G, 7 A, 8 pts, -2

Balcers:
AHL: 76 GP, 33 G, 34 A, 77 pts, +16
NHL: 61 GP, 8 G, 15 A, 23 pts, -11

Balcers has played significantly more hockey over the past two years, has more points in fewer AHL games, and more PPG in the NHL than Brown

Brown is a significantly better prospect talent-wise and was a mid first rounder. That carries weight in his valuation. He’s not the highest rated guy at the moment but would definitely return something decent or be better chip in a trade for a better player.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:Oh no, not Balcers!

You keep saying that like a real donkey. He's 23 years old, never got a chance in the NHL, and with SJ is scoring at 0.6 points per game right now. This puts him on par with Stutzle and ahead of everyone on Ottawa aside from Chabot, Batherson, Tkachuk. And again, he was squeezed out of the lineup for two guys which we have since traded which speaks to poor asset management.

He could have easily slid down to our third line which would have put Paul on L4 with Tierney and Watson, which actually is a pretty good 4th line. But you're too naive to look at things that way
You’re looking just at points...lots of players can have decent point streaks. He played 50 some games in Ottawa. How did he not get a chance? He’s a marginal player, 3rd line guy at best who clearly didn’t have high value league wide. The Kings and Red Wings passed on him as well. The sens clearly didn’t care for him long term or else they wouldn’t have waived him. To suggest they waived him because they had paquette and Galchenyuk is crazy talk.

Paul is a better player than him. Why would he have pushed Paul down? Right now we have 4 LW better than Balcers, and Formenton in Belleville.

Im gonna disagree with you. Stating the kings and wings both passed on him isn’t much weight when both those teams had plenty of guys they wanted to play on the ice.

It is asset mismanagement and yes, judging by his play last year he should have been afforded a chance to play in this line-up over a bunch of guys that were parted with or that we are bringing up from the taxi squad.

You know sometimes you can admit you are the team are wrong.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

You keep saying that like a real donkey. He's 23 years old, never got a chance in the NHL, and with SJ is scoring at 0.6 points per game right now. This puts him on par with Stutzle and ahead of everyone on Ottawa aside from Chabot, Batherson, Tkachuk. And again, he was squeezed out of the lineup for two guys which we have since traded which speaks to poor asset management.

He could have easily slid down to our third line which would have put Paul on L4 with Tierney and Watson, which actually is a pretty good 4th line. But you're too naive to look at things that way
You’re looking just at points...lots of players can have decent point streaks. He played 50 some games in Ottawa. How did he not get a chance? He’s a marginal player, 3rd line guy at best who clearly didn’t have high value league wide. The Kings and Red Wings passed on him as well. The sens clearly didn’t care for him long term or else they wouldn’t have waived him. To suggest they waived him because they had paquette and Galchenyuk is crazy talk.

Paul is a better player than him. Why would he have pushed Paul down? Right now we have 4 LW better than Balcers, and Formenton in Belleville.

Im gonna disagree with you. Stating the kings and wings both passed on him isn’t much weight when both those teams had plenty of guys they wanted to play on the ice.

It is asset mismanagement and yes, judging by his play last year he should have been afforded a chance to play in this line-up over a bunch of guys that were parted with or that we are bringing up from the taxi squad.

It’s all good if you disagree. I think Formenton should have gotten a look before Balcers though

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

It’s all good if you disagree. I think Formenton should have gotten a look before Balcers though

Perhaps, but Formenton needs more time, needs to learn how to play with more discipline, needs to learn how to drive play, and needs to learn how to bury his chances.

I 100% think Formenton > Balcers but Balcers did his time in the AHL. Formenton has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL *if* he continues to develop, stays out of the penalty box, and converts on some of his scoring chances. No point putting him in a 4th line role in Ottawa right now.

I guess a lot of lineup decisions hinge on what happens with L. Brown and whether or not Stutzle moves to center. I also think Tierney may be trade-bait at this year's deadline, but Paul can slide into a 4C role and I imagine Pinto will get some games towards the end of the year, so maybe we see Formenton in another few weeks? Brad Smith was saying he's knocking on the door and is just about ready but needs to play a few more games.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

It's too soon for anyone to admit they were wrong. If Balcers goes on to have a decent NHL career, then yeah, we probably messed up. This is not a problem unique to Ottawa. Goodness gracious, remember when Mike Hoffman went unclaimed through waivers? That was 30 other teams screwing up.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Possibly. one thing is for sure, it's not likely to damage Formenton to develop and take on big minutes in the AHL this year. he'll be getting call ups either after the deadline or if we have a few injuries on the wing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Losing Balcers for nothing and wasting thime and picks on Paquette, Stepan, Haley, Peca, etc. us absolutely the definition of poor asset management. That said, it's over and done with, let's stop taking about it let it's an ongoing issue.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Chris Stephenson is saying that he feels least night's B-Sens game was the point of no return in the Sens-Brown relationship.

Sad, if true, but he's been told for the last 5 years what he needs to do and he just hasn't done it. Either unable or unwilling, and it really doesn't matter which.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Chris Stephenson is saying that he feels least night's B-Sens game was the point of no return in the Sens-Brown relationship.

Sad, if true, but he's been told for the last 5 years what he needs to do and he just hasn't done it. Either unable or unwilling, and it really doesn't matter which.

I think we've all known the Brown experiment is over for about a year now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Belleville is such an unbelievable mess, now, and it's almost all on Durion. Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros, Lajoie - all gone for nothing. You can't really base your decisions on player futures based on this year's AHL stats. Brown has 1 point in 5 games. Formenton has 2 7.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I think most of us have been calling Brown a possible bust for a few years.
I remember going to watch the players tournament in Laval a few years back and commenting on how he just doesn’t have that extra gear.
I think he’ll eventually wind up in some slower leagues in Europe where his talent will be better suited to a game that isn’t relying so much on speed.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Belleville is such an unbelievable mess, now, and it's almost all on Durion. Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros, Lajoie - all gone for nothing. You can't really base your decisions on player futures based on this year's AHL stats. Brown has 1 point in 5 games. Formenton has 2 7.  

I've been saying this for weeks, but don't tell Ev. He'll just disagree and say these players had no value and there is no correlation between AHL and NHL success. Don't forget Carcone is gone too Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Belleville is such an unbelievable mess, now, and it's almost all on Durion. Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros, Lajoie - all gone for nothing. You can't really base your decisions on player futures based on this year's AHL stats. Brown has 1 point in 5 games. Formenton has 2 7.  

I've been saying this for weeks, but don't tell Ev. He'll just disagree and say these players had no value and there is no correlation between AHL and NHL success. Don't forget Carcone is gone too Smile

They had no nhl value, but they would have improved the AHL team. Wins and losses aren’t what’s important. Formenton for example is playing incredibly well. He’s not going to die from losing games, especially in a short year with no playoffs. They don’t need to win games to have future nhl success. The team could have challenged for the Calder last year if it wasn’t cut short, then their best players graduated

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Terrible OT but great shootout from the kids. Murray pretty good in the OT though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
What reffing tonight.  Never seen the like!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
I went to bed at 3-1. Happy to see the Sens didn't completely blow it. But did Brannstrom only play 5 minutes last night or is my Score app not working? That's insane. May as well send him down to Belleville if this is the case.

Nice to see Dzingel fitting in well here. Will be interesting to see what the Sens do with him. If he keeps producing it wouldn't be the worst thing to keep him. In a perfect world we would have a 4th line of Dzingel-Tierney-C.Brown next year which would be one of the better 4th lines in the league. I'd leave Watson exposed or buy him out. Aside from blocking shots he hasn't really done much that would warrant giving him a roster spot over anyone else right now and buying him out costs the franchise virtually nothing.

I guess the game later this week against Toronto will be very telling for what happens with Logan Brown. If he's not called up and playing in that game I think the Sens will look to move him. With Pinto, Greig, Paul and Stutzle in the center pipeline, and I'd even argue that Tkachuk can play center if needed, he's redundant and I am not sure what I would expect back from him. An interesting option would be Liam Foudy IMO. Columbus needs a center and has a trade history with Ottawa. I can't help but feel he'll become our Joe Colborne. Mid 1st rd pick, big center, just can't make it in the NHL. May as well salvage something for him at this point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Don't forget Paul is a center as well. Right now probably our best player at that position.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Didn't watch any of the game last night but looking at the box score the refs must have had some money on the Flames. You telling me a tired team, having played in Edmonton the night before, down 3-1 doesn't grab and hold? Taking it the fighting majors the minors were 10-3!

Last edited by wprager on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum