GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call your shot on Ottawa's Trades (or lack of) up to POST DRAFT

+4
Ev
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

its a low risk move for a 6/7 guys... Sarcasm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

seriously, i think Dorion may think he is someone that could be a mid pairing shutdown guy to play with Branstrom on his left. why else would he give him two years if it's not to have some cost certainty after the 1st year experiment? Of course it might not work at all.

I also wished we'd be making a deal for real top 4 gjy but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.
the more i think about it, the more i think Dorion will be trying to acquire a player on LTIR for some assets. someone that doesn't have to get fully paid by the team.

that and probably a goalie. the two options I see as realistic, is that they trade for Matt Murray and sign him to a number that brings us closer to the cap and the other option is we help Toronto in their quest for Pietrangelo by taking on Andersson's contract which is 1M dollar in real cash to be paid this year since the bonuses have been paid already by Toronto. that would be a total Melnyk/Dorion move you have to agree.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yupp. Andersen makes a ton of sense for us. I think I recall hearing that the sens liked johanssen and kerfoot also.

And maybe they see brown /Brann as the 5/6 . I don't think Wolanin or zub are untradeable or are locks to make the team

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Guys, the Brown trade is mystifying in that we already have about 5 d-men that are 6/7 guys.  As Lagoon said, we should've done a larger trade for a better defenceman.  The deal that Brown just signed ($1.2M AAV for two years or whatever) is also not helping us reach the cap floor while simultaneously sucking up ice time and a roster spot from younger, better d-men that can actually help the team long term.

Just a weird move all the way around. I'm hoping it's some magical part of a bigger plan, but I don't see it.

If I see someone else say that it is a low-risk move to bring in a 6/7 guy, I'm going to lose my Cussing mind.  Outside of Chabot, all we have is 6/7 guys!

They want a stop gap until JBD and Thomson etc are ready and we have a tiny little defence in terms of toughness. They needed someone like this, but I don't like the 4th rounder.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

It is quite possibly the worst trade, for the worst player, at the worst time. Dorion is a steaming pile and I rarely try to make sense of anything he does. I’m so far disconnected to giving the Sens any money, important time or praise it is not even funny.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Guys, the Brown trade is mystifying in that we already have about 5 d-men that are 6/7 guys.  As Lagoon said, we should've done a larger trade for a better defenceman.  The deal that Brown just signed ($1.2M AAV for two years or whatever) is also not helping us reach the cap floor while simultaneously sucking up ice time and a roster spot from younger, better d-men that can actually help the team long term.

Just a weird move all the way around. I'm hoping it's some magical part of a bigger plan, but I don't see it.

If I see someone else say that it is a low-risk move to bring in a 6/7 guy, I'm going to lose my Cussing mind.  Outside of Chabot, all we have is 6/7 guys!

They want a stop gap until JBD and Thomson etc are ready and we have a tiny little defence in terms of toughness.  They needed someone like this, but I don't like the 4th rounder.

I’ve never heard of anyone saying they need someone like a Josh Brown.

Not sure if you have heard, but TB is in serious cap trouble and they have a player name Cernak that is actually NHL calibre. Why any GM would make a trade with a random team right now and not a team with huge cap issues first and foremost is beyond my comprehension.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I see the Sens D as:

Chabot-XXXX
XXXX-Zaitsev
Brann-Brown
Extra: Wolanin

So Dorion is going to shove a bunch of guys into positions they don't belong in and we will finish close to the bottom of the standings again.

Chabot-Zaitsev
Reilly-Zub
Brann-Brown

Maybe they're interested in Dumba. I am sure as hell not.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We needed toughness, pretty much simple as that. How anyone doesn't understand why Dorion acquired this type of player, I don't get. Why he paid a 4th, no one can get.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

What I'd like to see happen is Ottawa acquiring Korpisalo/Merzlikins and Josh Anderson.

I'm picturing a C.Brown-White-Anderson 3rd line that would be next to impossible to play against

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:What I'd like to see happen is Ottawa acquiring Korpisalo/Merzlikins and Josh Anderson.

I'm picturing a C.Brown-White-Anderson 3rd line that would be next to impossible to play against

Is it weird that I don't really want to acquire anyone? I want to see these guys develop - who steps up, who can't hack it. Maybe a salary dump, but it was a hit to see a 4th round pick go for a dime a dozen player. Don't like it, don't want it. And Diddle the noise that we have too many picks. Give me a break, let's make all these picks and complain about an overload of talent later.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:We needed toughness, pretty much simple as that.  How anyone doesn't understand why Dorion acquired this type of player, I don't get.  Why he paid a 4th, no one can get.

We quite literally could have signed a Josh Brown replica on the free agent market and given up nothing.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:We needed toughness, pretty much simple as that.  How anyone doesn't understand why Dorion acquired this type of player, I don't get.  Why he paid a 4th, no one can get.

We quite literally could have signed a Josh Brown replica on the free agent market and given up nothing.

Laughing3 Kermit

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I see the Sens D as:

Chabot-XXXX
XXXX-Zaitsev
Brann-Brown

So Dorion is going to shove a bunch of guys into positions they don't belong in and we will finish close to the bottom of the standings again.

Chabot-Zaitsev
Reilly-Zub
Brann-Brown

that's what Dorion is thinking.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dorion is probably one of the most secure GM in the league at this point.
he's not getting fired. He's a yes man for Melnyk and is building through the draft.
we could literally finish 31 again and he'd probably get a bonus if he managed to make some trades that saved Melnyk some money.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

There's always a flip side. Dj wanted him and the Senators wanted this exact player. We shouldn't really bemoan that our coach specifically asked for the player and we acquired him.

It's the fact that it's a low impact player for a 4th rounder that grinds my gears personally.

Dorion sucks at trading sometimes and it's scary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

There's always a flip side.  Dj wanted him and the Senators wanted this exact player.  We shouldn't  really bemoan that our coach specifically asked for the player and we acquired him.

It's the fact that it's a low impact player for a 4th rounder that grinds my gears personally.

Dorion picks up the phone and calls Zito: "I really want Josh Brown and i'm not paying a penny more than a 5th rounder".
Zito: "no. a 4rth."
Dorion: "ok". (imbecile Dung-eating grin draws itself on his face and hangs up)
Zito: looks around the room to his staff "Did that really just happen?"

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

There's always a flip side.  Dj wanted him and the Senators wanted this exact player.  We shouldn't  really bemoan that our coach specifically asked for the player and we acquired him.

Dorion picks up the phone and calls Zito: "I really want Josh Brown and i'm not paying a penny more than a 5th rounder".
Zito: "no. a 4rth."
Dorion: "ok". (imbecile Dung-eating grin draws itself on his face and hangs up)
Zito: looks around the room to his staff "Did that really just happen?"

Pretty much.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I see the Sens D as:

Chabot-XXXX
XXXX-Zaitsev
Brann-Brown

Chabot-Zaitsev
Reilly-Zub
Brann-Brown

that's what Dorion is thinking.

Interesting. So are you saying we have a very good chance at drafting by default one of the many elite Dmen available in the 2021 draft? Are you saying we won’t need to reach for a lesser Dman in the 2020 draft with the surplus of elite forwards available to us? Interesting strategy Cotton.

I wonder if GM’s look ahead?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum