GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call your shot on Ottawa's Trades (or lack of) up to POST DRAFT

+4
Ev
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

the more I've read up on J Brown, the more I think this could be an OK pick-up.
I mean, we have plenty of draft picks this draft. he's an NHL body and with a 4rth it's already a win.
I don't know that it means good things for Jaros making the team though. as it stands today we can roll out 8 D, 4 on each side. but it likely means we aren't going big fish hunting on any more Dman via trade or FA. Makes that 20+ mill space more puzzling. it just reaks of throwing money (and our late 1st rounder, which i don't like) at Matt Murray IMO.

guess that answers the question on brining back Hainsey. which is probably a good thing.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:the more I've read up on J Brown, the more I think this could be an OK pick-up.
I mean, we have plenty of draft picks this draft. he's an NHL body and with a 4rth it's already a win.
I don't know that it means good things for Jaros making the team though. as it stands today we can roll out 8 D, 4 on each side. but it likely means we aren't going big fish hunting on any more Dman via trade or FA. Makes that 20+ mill space more puzzling. it just reaks of throwing money (and our late 1st rounder, which i don't like) at Matt Murray IMO.

guess that answers the question on brining back Hainsey. which is probably a good thing.

Big fish hunting? In Ottawa? What are we catching? Afinogenov? Dawes? Metropolit? Hodgson?

On the trade side, we paid a 4th for Brown, I’d hate to see what we pay for an actual NHL talent RFA.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's just a 4th. We have 7 1st to 2nd rd picks. Not a huge deal

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's just a 4th. We have 7 1st to 2nd rd picks. Not a huge deal

That’s the type of attitude that if Dorion has as well, will hinder us more than he already does by just being spineless.

Just because we have extra assets, doesn’t mean you can waste them. We already have so many things working against us in order to upgrade or roster. Save our extra assets for leverage on larger deals or deals that need a sweetener. Not a 1 for 1 on a fringe NHL player that was able to use his size as 21 year old against 17 year olds in the OHL while coached by Smith.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

But whatever, I don’t know why I care as long as Dorion and Melnyk are around. Waste all the picks you have. Go for it.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Wait and see how much it costs another team to get Cernak out of TB and then wonder how good he’d look in our lineup while Brown is scratched.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's a 4th Rd pick and he ultimately replaces Boro and Sabourin while giving brannstrom or Wolanin a stay at home dman to play with while JBD and Thomson develop. Not going to find that on free agency. It's a stop gap . And what , less than 10% of players selected in the 4th rd make it to the NHL ? It's a low risk move with more upside than downside. Worst case he is scratched and jaros or zub get his minutes. Also means he will be dropping the gloves over Tkachuk and can protect the rookies on the ice

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's a 4th Rd pick and he ultimately replaces Boro and Sabourin while giving brannstrom or Wolanin a stay at home dman to play with while JBD and Thomson develop. Not going to find that on free agency. It's a stop gap . And what , less than 10% of players selected in the 4th rd make it to the NHL ? It's a low risk move with more upside than downside. Worst case he is scratched and jaros or zub get his minutes. Also means he will be dropping the gloves over Tkachuk and can protect the rookies on the ice

yes, that's my thinking right now.
with Boro gone and no use for Sabourin Brown fills those needs. a 4rth rounder isn't much to trade.
Plus there wasn't much of an opportunity in Florida for him to play behind 3 other RHD. I think it's possible he'll get a chance to see if he can handle playing with Wolanin and anchor that third pairing. I really like Wolanin and we could be three very effective pairings down the road.
i think we'd all be on board with this if it was a 5th. No biggy.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Exactly. Maybe a slight overpayment but we have the picks and prospects to support giving up a 4th right now

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

He isn’t good. He was sheltered all year by Quenneville. He got mostly offensive zone starts against 3rd and 4th line opponents and he was still miserable. He’s 6’5” and has decent weight to him, but he doesn’t block, barely hits for a Dman and even with all this OZone starts against lower quality lines, he didn’t generate any sustained pressure or shots himself. Like I mentioned before, of the 23 Dman 6’5” or over, his combined /60 in shots, hits and blocks is as low as possible. So what is he good at? Honestly, show me something?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

No one is suggesting he's a premier dman. He's a stop gap that probably isn't any worse than hainsey and he drops the gloves, hits and will protect the guys on the ice

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:He isn’t good. He was sheltered all year by Quenneville. He got mostly offensive zone starts against 3rd and 4th line opponents and he was still miserable. He’s 6’5” and has decent weight to him, but he doesn’t block, barely hits for a Dman and even with all this OZone starts against lower quality lines, he didn’t generate any sustained pressure or shots himself. Like I mentioned before, of the 23 Dman 6’5” or over, his combined /60 in shots, hits and blocks is as low as possible. So what is he good at? Honestly, show me something?

How do you mean he doesn't block? He had a decent block shots per TOI ratio. 53 blocks im 13 minutes of ice time. So not up with the top guys, but above average.

Same with hits, but better really. 77 hits is 13 minutes of ice time is much better than leagur average when extrapolated, considering most of the top hitters had 125 + in normally 17 to 20 minutes.

Sounds to me like a quintessential number 6/7 guy.

My problems: i would have preferred keeping Boro, although he must have priced himself out, and i lament giving a 4th rounder. The type of player - as a stop gap - is exactly what a young team wants.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

qualifying offers due Wednesday. draft tomorrow/Wednesday. still don't think the sens do anything significant until tomorrow.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Guys, the Brown trade is mystifying in that we already have about 5 d-men that are 6/7 guys. As Lagoon said, we should've done a larger trade for a better defenceman. The deal that Brown just signed ($1.2M AAV for two years or whatever) is also not helping us reach the cap floor while simultaneously sucking up ice time and a roster spot from younger, better d-men that can actually help the team long term.

Just a weird move all the way around. I'm hoping it's some magical part of a bigger plan, but I don't see it.

If I see someone else say that it is a low-risk move to bring in a 6/7 guy, I'm going to lose my Cussing mind. Outside of Chabot, all we have is 6/7 guys!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I agree. I'm not sure dorion understands how any of this works

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

its a low risk move for a 6/7 guys... Sarcasm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

seriously, i think Dorion may think he is someone that could be a mid pairing shutdown guy to play with Branstrom on his left. why else would he give him two years if it's not to have some cost certainty after the 1st year experiment? Of course it might not work at all.

I also wished we'd be making a deal for real top 4 gjy but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.
the more i think about it, the more i think Dorion will be trying to acquire a player on LTIR for some assets. someone that doesn't have to get fully paid by the team.

that and probably a goalie. the two options I see as realistic, is that they trade for Matt Murray and sign him to a number that brings us closer to the cap and the other option is we help Toronto in their quest for Pietrangelo by taking on Andersson's contract which is 1M dollar in real cash to be paid this year since the bonuses have been paid already by Toronto. that would be a total Melnyk/Dorion move you have to agree.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yupp. Andersen makes a ton of sense for us. I think I recall hearing that the sens liked johanssen and kerfoot also.

And maybe they see brown /Brann as the 5/6 . I don't think Wolanin or zub are untradeable or are locks to make the team

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum