GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call your shot on Ottawa's Trades (or lack of) up to POST DRAFT

+4
Ev
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

.900 vs .920 is literally the difference between picking top-3 and being the #8 seed.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

30 shots per game, 67 games (last season) a 20 point difference in SV% is 40 goals. And they were giving up more than 30 on average. That, alone, would give us 190 goals for, 198 against. That puts them right in line with the Islanders and Blue Jackets, both of whom were in the top half league standings.

Additionally, more faith in your goalie typically results in offensive players bring asked you take more chances, which improves your offense. If you score more goals than you let in you usually make the playoffs.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Had we done maybe 5% better on the PP and 3% better on the PK we would have pushed for a playoff spot or at least would have been in the conversation for the play-in round. Remember the Habs were on the outside looking in...

We had the league's worst PP at 14.2% Had we finished close to 19-20% we would have been around league average. Losing Duclair and Pageau will hurt in both the PP and PK departments but the PP may improve with some of the younger guys and Stutzle. And our PK may be better with J.Brown, and Gudbranson instead of Hainsey and Boro. Watson may not hurt there either. We won't get as many scoring chances without Duclair and Pageau unless Formenton and Norris play top-point on the PK.

I think we will be better defensively and offensively we're going to be hot on some nights and completely outplayed on others. I would love to see Ottawa add one more piece - either Duclair or Matt Martin, though I think the Sens think they have a good depth guy in Paul and maybe don't want to invest long-term in Duclair with their prospect pipeline, keeping in mind Pinto, Thomson, Brannstrom, JBD, Sanderson will probably be pushing for spots next season. And then there's Abramov who could steal a spot this year too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.How do you know we'll be without Duclair.

2.You forgot Zub

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=180682

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Do I really need to click a couple boxes and splice together Josh Brown and his defensive awareness? Please don’t use him for anything to simulate improved defensive play by us. It is amazing that he’s literally a goalie screen and rarely hit by a puck as he struggles to find his man.

Last edited by Lagoon on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'm pretty sure we'll be bottom 5 again.  Our defence is just awful, and we have no centres.

We didn't have any last season, either.  Tierney is still here, White has to improve, Norris might surprise, Stuetzle plays centre (Dorion is not the one who decides that he might start at wing).  We lost Pageau, we gained Stuetzle and Norris.  

If our centres are Tierney, Colin White, Josh Norris (rookie), and Stuetzle (rookie), that is a bottom 5 group.  What I see there are 3 3rd line centres (Norris has potential for more but probably not in his rookie season), and then Stuetzle who can either play centre or wing, but isn't going to be hugely effective for us in his rookie year.  I'd say he should probably start in the AHL where he could have more success.  

He's going to start on the wing. Anisimov and Brown are also in the mix for the centre spots.

Yeah, I was just responding to the centres that Walter listed. Anisimov, Logan Brown....yep, that 3rd line centre spot is getting crowded. Laughing3

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Do I really need to click a couple boxes and splice together Josh Brown and his defensive awareness? Please don’t use him for anything to simulate improved defensive play by us. It is amazing that he’s literally a goalie screen and rarely hit by a puck as he struggles to find his man.

He's atrocious. No one is denying that. But so was Boro and Hainsey didn't add much value aside from some vet leadership last year. So a downgrade for sure but not by much.

Hainsey + Boro isn't much better than Brown + Gudbranson. Our defense definitely took a step back but their roles are to protect the players on the ice . We're a bottom 3 team - possibly the worst team IMO.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

And then we draft another D in 2021 with our 1st pick and Chabot requests a trade in 2024 because he is only getting 20 minutes a game. Dorion trades with Sakic or McCrimmon and gets raked again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Do I really need to click a couple boxes and splice together Josh Brown and his defensive awareness? Please don’t use him for anything to simulate improved defensive play by us. It is amazing that he’s literally a goalie screen and rarely hit by a puck as he struggles to find his man.

He's atrocious. No one is denying that. But so was Boro and Hainsey didn't add much value aside from some vet leadership last year. So a downgrade for sure but not by much.

Hainsey + Boro isn't much better than Brown + Gudbranson. Our defense definitely took a step back but their roles are to protect the players on the ice . We're a bottom 3 team - possibly the worst team IMO.

Boro had a career year last season but to suggest Gudbranson is a step back is incorrect. He had a rough time in Vancouver but Anaheim fans have nothing but great things to say about him. He's had an extended off-season which will help, too.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's evident what Ottawa is trying to do. They want to protect the young guys and be a tougher team to play against. I hope they add Matt Martin.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I expect that too. A solid offer to Martin

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Matt Martin will have plenty of other suitors and absolutely zero desire to come here.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I doubt we add Matt Martin. we seem to have added a few rough and tumble players. if anything, i expect another winger to be added and there is plenty of guys left on the market that might be left holding their junk pretty soon as teams are really cash strapped. 
Dorion for the moment probably seeing if some team will pay him to take on a guy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I think Matt Martin will have plenty of other suitors and absolutely zero desire to come here.

Much bigger minutes than most teams though.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I think Matt Martin will have plenty of other suitors and absolutely zero desire to come here.

Much bigger minutes than most teams though.

That was promised to Zub too and look what we’ve done since. Sens broken promises are very well known by NA players.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Prospect vs nhl player = not the same thing

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

How do you think brannstrom feels now. Key part of the stone trade about to spend another big chunk of the year in Belleville

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:How do you think brannstrom feels now. Key part of the stone trade about to spend another big chunk of the year in Belleville

his spot is still available. he still has to earn it though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum