GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+5
wprager
Lagoon
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 68  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 68]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I still have a lot of faith in Logan Brown. I think a year off of hockey will do nothing but good things for his health and confidence. Not sure if you saw but he fired his agent. Not sure his agent was doing him any favours as he publicly made statement about Brown being wronged.

I think he comes into camp ready to go. He may not put up 90+ points like Spezza but 60 isn't out of the question

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Given the post from a few days ago (comparing prospects to former Sens/NHL players) would this team push for a cup?

Tkachuk-Spezza(L.Brown)-Stone/Hossa(Bath)
Havlat(Stutzle)-Turris(Norris)-Dadonov
Silfverberg(Jarventie)-Bonk(Pinto)-C.Brown
Vermette(Formenton)-Pageau(Greig)-Dzingel(Abamov)
Extra: Schubert(Balcers)

Chabot-Redden(JBD)
Suter(Sanderson)-Gonchar(Brann)
Wolanin-Laukkanen(Thomson)
Extra: Sutton (Klevin)

Not yet. They'll need to turn some of their 'extra' good prospects etc. into another impact player or two. Dadonov won't be on the team, nor will Thomson if things go the way they're going.

Stutzle would be the top line C in this scenario, not Brown. Hopefully Brown develops and slots into the 2C area and Norris is pushed down leaving us an asset to trade in Pinto or Greig. There are a million moving parts to this.

However...nice impact players in Tkachuk and Chabot and a LOT of potential for more in Stutz, Sanderson etc. etc. etc.

Well done to stock the cupboards, now...will they develop like we hope?...

Plus, we'll likely get another top 5 or top 10 pick next year.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I still have a lot of faith in Logan Brown. I think a year off of hockey will do nothing but good things for his health and confidence. Not sure if you saw but he fired his agent. Not sure his agent was doing him any favours as he publicly made statement about Brown being wronged.

I think he comes into camp ready to go. He may not put up 90+ points like Spezza but 60 isn't out of the question

I do too. I hope this happens.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I still have a lot of faith in Logan Brown. I think a year off of hockey will do nothing but good things for his health and confidence. Not sure if you saw but he fired his agent. Not sure his agent was doing him any favours as he publicly made statement about Brown being wronged.

We'll see. I hope so. When the AHL coach questions publicly if he'll ever be an NHLer, it raises red flags, but perhaps that's just to motivate him. I think he'll be an NHLer but not sure if it will be in Ottawa. Hopefully he makes it and plays with somebody like Tkachuk or Stutzle to motivate him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oh I think his long-time friend Tkachuk and his best-friend Norris ride him and make him more competitive. Otherwise I think the locker room will turn on Brown and that will be the end of him in Ottawa. This is exactly why they drafted Tkachuk - for those leadership skills. You better bet they're going to be an awfully tough team to play against. If Brown can't live up to what the rest of the team is doing then he'll likely be gone. Whether he has a 'C' on his jersey or not, this it Tkachuk's team. We just need him to sign the next 8 years of his life away

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Inter squad game for Canada on Saturday. Great success

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Oh I think his long-time friend Tkachuk and his best-friend Norris ride him and make him more competitive. Otherwise I think the locker room will turn on Brown and that will be the end of him in Ottawa. This is exactly why they drafted Tkachuk - for those leadership skills. You better bet they're going to be an awfully tough team to play against. If Brown can't live up to what the rest of the team is doing then he'll likely be gone. Whether he has a 'C' on his jersey or not, this it Tkachuk's team. We just need him to sign the next 8 years of his life away

We'll see, tough to say right now as none of us know the inner workings, but he better come ready to camp. Chabot will push him too, this is becoming a Chabot/Tkachuk run team for sure.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle, no Greig for Canada as he has Covid

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:People who know what they're talking about on HF sing the praises of Sanderson.  Specifically a guy named BondraTime who knows his stuff.  Thinks many, many people will be reversing their opinions soon.

Incidentally, he liked the first three rounds this year, then felt they went off.

It's basically the only place i read in hf, that and the detailed threads on prospects.

Under ottawa Senators, then sub link prospects.  Most are people who just like to chat, but there are a few legit guys there if people want opinions.

I like this guy. i don't see eye to eye with everything he says but he also echoed some of my opinions that although we didn't draft badly, we left a lot of talent on the board with the picks we pick. especially with the Grieg pick, which he liked, but again we could have grabbed someone with a higher potential.

he's a big fan of Sanderson and Kleven.
his podcasts are informative too. I listen to every team he covers.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2020-draft-recap-ottawa-senators/

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd say it doesn't look good for Logan Brown. the key things he seems to have been missing so far have yet to materialize. he's really got to develop that extra gear which is likely linked to motivation and if he's been unable to develop it until now it may be that his overall compete just isn't there at an NHL level.

i certainly hope the sens have that scenario built into their plans.

I, for one, don't know if Stuetzle will be a C but more of a winger so i still see a gap on the 1st line to fill. i don't see us trading for that easily. we'll see.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Diddle, no Greig for Canada as he has Covid

Well that sucks!

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:what has been concerning to me is what the sens deem BPA. time and time again they have prioritized character over skill and have time and time again been wrong about the character of players left to develop.

i'm not saying these are bad picks but for some reason they have left a lot better players on the board according to fans, analysts and scouts.
it's not like we're saying individually they are making bad choices but we did not swing for skill enough for the fences with the number of picks we had. Ottawa drafting is obsessed with a certain type of players and it hasn't produced that Corey Perry player they think it will one day yield.  

I heard that same sentiment when tkachuk was selected and so far he is developing exactly as intended. Sens took two huge skill players in stutzle and jarventie in two of their first four picks this year.

I agree Ottawa drafted a bit narrrow minded and poorly in some years but I think the years under Trent Mann have been great and have yielded us a great mix of skill, size, and character. I think people confuse skill with flash.

as much as i didn't know if Tkachuck would turn out when they did draft him (i admit to that), i think at that point the team had such lack in every position that they could have drafted any BPA and that could have been fine.

Stuetzle is a skill player (even if i have my reservations) and i'll give them that. I think the hiccup comes why we drafted both Sanderson and Grieg where we got them with who was available.
we may be proven wrong down the road with how good Sanderson is (and i'll be the first to admit it) but i feel like there will be much more obvious choices that we should have taken ahead of him and definitely ahead of Grieg.
it's just a recognizable pattern from the sens and one many are getting tired of.

i have no doubt that if the sens can retain their players we will be a good team but it's how good of a team we could have been had we drafted other players available that will be in question.

I always love that people are willing to crap all over guys like Sanderson and Grieg while they likely haven't seen them play...ever.

I always love that people are willing to jizz all over guys like Sanderson and Stutzle while they likely haven't seen them play...ever.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

Well that sucks!

isn't he rejoining the team once he gets tested negative?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well that sucks!

it sounds like it, yes. But he could be beaten out by then.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well that sucks!

He should get his chance to make the team once all protocols are followed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:I'd say it doesn't look good for Logan Brown. the key things he seems to have been missing so far have yet to materialize. he's really got to develop that extra gear which is likely linked to motivation and if he's been unable to develop it until now it may be that his overall compete just isn't there at an NHL level.

I, for one, don't know if Stuetzle will be a C but more of a winger so i still see a gap on the 1st line to fill. i don't see us trading for that easily. we'll see.  

Wait, why do you say that regarding Brown? He was being a baby and they let him simmer in the AHL, but he didn't exactly do nothing. He produced at a great pace - 28 points in 25 games and they would have gone deep, if not challenged for the Cup had the year not been cut short.

Basically, he did everything he could have to impress. 8 points in 23 in the NHL isn't awesome, but it's pretty standard for a young player coming up the ranks.

Let's not pull another Zibanejad here!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I'd say it doesn't look good for Logan Brown. the key things he seems to have been missing so far have yet to materialize. he's really got to develop that extra gear which is likely linked to motivation and if he's been unable to develop it until now it may be that his overall compete just isn't there at an NHL level.

Wait, why do you say that regarding Brown?   He was being a baby and they let him simmer in the AHL, but he didn't exactly do nothing.   He produced at a great pace  - 28 points in 25 games and they would have gone deep, if not challenged for the Cup had the year not been cut short.

Basically, he did everything he could have to impress.  8 points in 23 in the NHL isn't awesome, but it's pretty standard for a young player coming up the ranks.

Let's not pull another Zibanejad here!

I'm just judging on what i saw.
I just don't think he's shown so far he can give the consistent effort and pace that is needed at the NHL. it may work at the AHL but it's another level at the NHL.

I'm not worried his time is up. He'll be given the opportunity to succeed although there's a limit.

I also do not think he's a first-line C.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

2nd liner to an elite c imo

Edit: or bust i guess

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 68]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 68  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum