GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+6
SensHulk
tim1_2
Lagoon
wprager
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hey. There's hockey today.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I reluctantly signed up for a Sportsnet Now+ monthly subscription. It gives me all the Sportsnet channels on Android/Apple/Android TV/PC/etc with no blackouts. So I'll get all the NHL and Blue Jays games. About $30 per month.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I reluctantly signed up for a Sportsnet Now+ monthly subscription.  It gives me all the Sportsnet channels on Android/Apple/Android TV/PC/etc with no blackouts.  So I'll get all the NHL and Blue Jays games.  About $30 per month.

that's almost tempting.

i wonder if center ice ever evolves past their blackout strategy? i mean, i have a VPN but they have to one day realize that everyone will eventually cut the cord.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting read:
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29555087/why-were-arizona-coyotes-angry-gm-john-chayka-quit

So apparently after Chayka signed a 3 year extension the Devils asked if they could speak with him, and ownership said no. Chayka went to owner and explained that this is not a job interview but "intended to build relationships with owners in hockey" and "get market knowledge." He also said that previous ownership would have allowed it. Owner agreed and it turned out it *was* a job interview, as Chayka then asked to be released to pursue this job -- a step-up from being a GM, apparently.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So it wasn't totally weird watching hockey with no fans. The NHL is missing a real opportunity here though. They should be turning up the ice-level mics, micing up players/coaches/refs/whoever. They could've done something unique but instead seem just happy with the status quo and piped in crowd noise.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Interesting read:
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29555087/why-were-arizona-coyotes-angry-gm-john-chayka-quit

So apparently after Chayka signed a 3 year extension the Devils asked if they could speak with him, and ownership said no. Chayka went to owner and explained that this is not a job interview but "intended to build relationships with owners in hockey" and "get market knowledge."  He also said that previous ownership would have allowed it. Owner agreed and it turned out it *was* a job interview, as Chayka then asked to be released to pursue this job -- a step-up from being a GM, apparently.

if true, totally unprofessional by Chayka.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Interesting read:

So apparently after Chayka signed a 3 year extension the Devils asked if they could speak with him, and ownership said no. Chayka went to owner and explained that this is not a job interview but "intended to build relationships with owners in hockey" and "get market knowledge."  He also said that previous ownership would have allowed it. Owner agreed and it turned out it *was* a job interview, as Chayka then asked to be released to pursue this job -- a step-up from being a GM, apparently.

if true, totally unprofessional by Chayka.

Yeah, Diddle that guy.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I can't remember. is Fitzgerald still interim or has that label been lifted?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Chaika left with his Richard in his hands without a job.

it's not the first circumventions he tries.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just don't get it. It's not like he set the Coyotes on fire. The only reason they are playing post season is that they let in 78% of the teams. He has not made great trades and I'm not sure he's done that good a job of drafting, either. It wasn't a great team when he came in board but he hasn't made it any better.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I just don't get it. It's not like he set the Coyotes on fire. The only reason they are playing post season is that they let in 78% of the teams. He has not made great trades and I'm not sure he's done that good a job of drafting, either.  It wasn't a great team when he came in board but he hasn't made it any better.

yeah his drafting record is alright. his trades are hit and miss.
but again we were talking about the devils. they have been one of the worst teams at drafting.
take into account that he probably had his hands a little tied in Arizona in terms of spending and he did make some very good cap moves over the years there.
I'd say he's probably an above-average GM.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:So it wasn't totally weird watching hockey with no fans.  The NHL is missing a real opportunity here though.  They should be turning up the ice-level mics, micing up players/coaches/refs/whoever.  They could've done something unique but instead seem just happy with the status quo and piped in crowd noise.

Then you carve away a portion of your audience with the horrific swearing youd hear.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think they should do one of a few things:
- CGI fans
- black-out the stands
- let players from other teams come and watch

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also the crowd noises they are using for the broadcast should simply be played in the arena (so the players can hear it) and not just added to the broadcast.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I think they should do one of a few things:
- CGI fans
- black-out the stands
- let players from other teams come and watch

CGI fans would be incredibly dumb. Imagine how ridiculous that would look. Good god.

Blacking out the stands would be incredible dumb. How do you black out stands anyway?

I like the way they've covered the seats. Tom Anselmi had the right idea all along...tarps!

Letting other players in the stands would be fine, but that changes nothing for the TV broadcast.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:So it wasn't totally weird watching hockey with no fans.  The NHL is missing a real opportunity here though.  They should be turning up the ice-level mics, micing up players/coaches/refs/whoever.  They could've done something unique but instead seem just happy with the status quo and piped in crowd noise.

Then you carve away a portion of your audience with the horrific swearing youd hear.

I fully understand things would get colourful for sure. They could have two audio tracks...standard for those watching with kids, and then an adult feed with the on-ice audio dialled up. These things are very easy to do with todays broadcasting technology. Imagine how hilarious it would be to hear all the chirping. I think going with just the status quo and fake crowd noise is the laziest possible way to approach the situation. DO SOMETHING UNIQUE.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Tim. I can always count on you to say something dismissive, insulting and, usually, not very helpful.

Here's a hint of blacking out the stands:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+in+the+50s&safe=strict&client=ms-android-xiaomi&sxsrf=ALeKk037wa_a6qWdtfgto77XDxhdJDBIkQ:1596126349996&source=lnms&tbm=isch

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pictures from the 50s for blacking out the stands. Interesting?

So to accomplish that, they just dim the lighting? Anyway, it doesn't make sense and you haven't explained your rationale for this or how it would be accomplished.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

I fully get it would become an adults-only broadcast if you could hear the on-ice stuff. They could have two audio tracks for the broadcast...one with the normal feed and fake crowd noise, and one with the on-ice mics turned up. This could be easily accomplished with today's technology. They had a real opportunity to do something unique and cool here, but have gone the lazy, status quo route.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum