GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+6
SensHulk
tim1_2
Lagoon
wprager
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Tim. I can always count on you to say something dismissive, insulting and, usually, not very helpful.

Here's a hint of blacking out the stands:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+in+the+50s&safe=strict&client=ms-android-xiaomi&sxsrf=ALeKk037wa_a6qWdtfgto77XDxhdJDBIkQ:1596126349996&source=lnms&tbm=isch

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pictures from the 50s for blacking out the stands. Interesting?

So to accomplish that, they just dim the lighting? Anyway, it doesn't make sense and you haven't explained your rationale for this or how it would be accomplished.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:So it wasn't totally weird watching hockey with no fans.  The NHL is missing a real opportunity here though.  They should be turning up the ice-level mics, micing up players/coaches/refs/whoever.  They could've done something unique but instead seem just happy with the status quo and piped in crowd noise.

Then you carve away a portion of your audience with the horrific swearing youd hear.

I fully get it would become an adults-only broadcast if you could hear the on-ice stuff. They could have two audio tracks for the broadcast...one with the normal feed and fake crowd noise, and one with the on-ice mics turned up. This could be easily accomplished with today's technology. They had a real opportunity to do something unique and cool here, but have gone the lazy, status quo route.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Pictures from the 50s for blacking out the stands.  Interesting?

So to accomplish that, they just dim the lighting?  Anyway, it doesn't make sense and you haven't explained your rationale for this or how it would be accomplished.

Back in the 50s the over surface was lit and the staff were dark. It was like sitting in a movie theatre.

I'm not sure if that would be possible today as the lights for the ice probably light up the seats a bit. But green/blue screen technology could be used (they do this all the time for reporting weather, just replace the map with solid dark slate).

Video insertion/overlay techniques are already bring used during broadcasts with the ads on the glasd behind the goals. More of the safer is coming. They probably didn't have enough time to do a proper job with CGI spectators but if the next season starts without fans in the seats I would but be surprised if they at least tried something like that.

Don't keep saying something is a dumb ideas just because you can't wrap your brain around how it could be implemented.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

They should definitely consider all revenue-generating ideas:

a) mic'd up players (I agree a huge opportunity was missed there)
b) more on-ice advertisements
c) advertisements in certain sections of the stands (only sections that are visible by camera)
d) in many arenas they could actually make masks mandatory and only sell a 10-30% of seats at premium pricing to ensure social distancing (I think the NFL was talking about possibly doing this)
e) less between period analysis and more tv time-outs
f) ads on jerseys

Parking is a huge revenue loss for a team like Ottawa. They should be looking into ways to optimize their parking space right now. I am not sure what is going on with the DND Carling Campus and how many people have returned to work, but they could definitely shuttle people to and from the Canadian Tire center for those who do not have access to on-campus parking.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Pictures from the 50s for blacking out the stands.  Interesting?

So to accomplish that, they just dim the lighting?  Anyway, it doesn't make sense and you haven't explained your rationale for this or how it would be accomplished.

Back in the 50s the over surface was lit and the staff were dark. It was like sitting in a movie theatre.

I'm not sure if that would be possible today as the lights for the ice probably light up the seats a bit. But green/blue screen technology could be used (they do this all the time for reporting weather, just replace the map with solid dark slate).

Video insertion/overlay techniques are already bring used during broadcasts with the ads on the glasd behind the goals.  More of the safer is coming. They probably didn't have enough time to do a proper job with CGI spectators but if the next season starts without fans in the seats I would but be surprised if they at least tried something like that.

Don't keep saying something is a dumb ideas just because you can't wrap your brain around how it could be implemented.

So you want a computer-generated black void beyond the boards, instead of just the arena with the seats covered. Sounds DUMB. Like SUPER DUMB. What's wrong with what they have now? Oh yeah, nothing is wrong with it.

If you think they're going to try CGI spectators...well...I would put that at a distant longshot for next season. Seems really pointless and dumb. I imagine they would just stick with the seats being covered like they have done now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:They should definitely consider all revenue-generating ideas:

a) mic'd up players (I agree a huge opportunity was missed there)
b) more on-ice advertisements
c) advertisements in certain sections of the stands (only sections that are visible by camera)
d) in many arenas they could actually make masks mandatory and only sell a 10-30% of seats at premium pricing to ensure social distancing (I think the NFL was talking about possibly doing this)
e) less between period analysis and more tv time-outs
f) ads on jerseys

Parking is a huge revenue loss for a team like Ottawa. They should be looking into ways to optimize their parking space right now. I am not sure what is going on with the DND Carling Campus and how many people have returned to work, but they could definitely shuttle people to and from the Canadian Tire center for those who do not have access to on-campus parking.

The parking issue at Carling Campus is non-existent, and will be non-existent well into 2021. Even then, they have existing shuttles now to parking lots that are much closer than CTC. And the existing shuttles and accompanying lots were barely being used before the pandemic too.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tim, first, stop acting like a jackass. Second, the empty seats is distracting. I watched a couple games and it was jarring to me. Whether the solution is CGI fans or cutouts (like the MLB) or simply blacking out the stands are just potential solutions. The specific implementation method is secondary, and I was just providing some possible implementation ideas just to show that it is feasible.

You failed to provide any alternatives or, really, even any constructive criticism. Instead you restored to name calling. You can do better.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Tim, first, stop acting like a jackass. Second, the empty seats is distracting. I watched a couple games and it was jarring to me.  Whether the solution is CGI fans or cutouts (like the MLB) or simply blacking out the stands are just potential solutions. The specific implementation method is secondary, and I was just providing some possible implementation ideas just to show that it is feasible.

You failed to provide any alternatives or, really, even any constructive criticism. Instead you restored to name calling.  You can do better.

I said I was happy with the way they covered the seats. It's their broadcast that needs help, not what is in the stands. CGI and a computer-generated black void is incredibly dumb. You suggested blacking out the stands with CGI. Think about that. A rink in the middle of a black void. Jesus.

It's funny you tell me to "do better" after calling me a jackass.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man, baseball is having the scrap more series...Maybe they made a large mistake.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Tim, first, stop acting like a jackass. Second, the empty seats is distracting. I watched a couple games and it was jarring to me.  Whether the solution is CGI fans or cutouts (like the MLB) or simply blacking out the stands are just potential solutions. The specific implementation method is secondary, and I was just providing some possible implementation ideas just to show that it is feasible.

You failed to provide any alternatives or, really, even any constructive criticism. Instead you restored to name calling.  You can do better.

I said I was happy with the way they covered the seats.  It's their broadcast that needs help, not what is in the stands.  CGI and a computer-generated black void is incredibly dumb.  You suggested blacking out the stands with CGI.  Think about that.  A rink in the middle of a black void.  Jesus.

The NBA has a CGI fanbase with players' parents, fans, etc. It's pretty cool.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/24/nba-will-have-virtual-fans-at-games-in-orlando/

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I said I was happy with the way they covered the seats.  It's their broadcast that needs help, not what is in the stands.  CGI and a computer-generated black void is incredibly dumb.  You suggested blacking out the stands with CGI.  Think about that.  A rink in the middle of a black void.  Jesus.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/24/nba-will-have-virtual-fans-at-games-in-orlando/

Except it's not CGI at all. It's going to be live video of the fans.

"And we’re not talking about those creepy CGI fans that Fox is going to try with their MLB games. The NBA plans to feature more than 300 virtual fans on 17-foot video boards surrounding the court when the season restarts next week at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex. Those fans will be able to interact with each other digitally during the game through Microsoft’s “Together Mode.”"

Props to the NBA for trying new things. The NHL really missed an opportunity here. Maybe they'll surprise me once we get a little deeper in the playoffs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Except it's not CGI at all.  It's going to be live video of the fans.

"And we’re not talking about those creepy CGI fans that Fox is going to try with their MLB games. The NBA plans to feature more than 300 virtual fans on 17-foot video boards surrounding the court when the season restarts next week at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex. Those fans will be able to interact with each other digitally during the game through Microsoft’s “Together Mode.”"

Props to the NBA for trying new things.  The NHL really missed an opportunity here.  Maybe they'll surprise me once we get a little deeper in the playoffs.

omg... is that gonna be televised? that could go wrong in so many ways Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

I very clearly (and purposefully) said "stop acting like a..." I know it's a technicality, but I was very careful to content on the actions and not the individual.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Except it's not CGI at all.  It's going to be live video of the fans.

Props to the NBA for trying new things.  The NHL really missed an opportunity here.  Maybe they'll surprise me once we get a little deeper in the playoffs.

I'll repeat that I was not mandating the actual implementation, just pointing out an issue bothering me (empty stands) and suggesting two possible solutions.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I very clearly (and purposefully) said "stop acting like a..." I know it's a technicality, but I was very careful to content on the actions and not the individual.

And I said your ideas were dumb, I didn't say you were dumb...although I could be easily swayed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ahaha, the throws of summer...you can tell when it arrives

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:Ahaha, the throws of summer...you can tell when it arrives

Well at least hockey is back in like an hour. Still not sure how much I'll watch but next see we know they'll announce the lottery winner, and the draft will come quicker than we think.

AHL announced a target return to play in December. Lets focus on the positives.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum