GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Lagoon
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It’s a funny thing…to be “in trouble” to meet the cap floor. They can throw some money at big name free agents, but if those guys don’t sign here, they still need contract value to meet the floor. All they have to do is look for some bad, big money contracts other teams have and then trade for them. Lots of teams would be willing to toss in some draft picks for cap relief from their bad signings. Just don’t take on anyone with term over a year or two.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Or you're super active at the draft and target players with high potential on cap-poor teams. Examples: William Nyander, William Karlsson, Timo Meier, Jonathan Huberdeau. Not a lot of options out there though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Or you're super active at the draft and target players with high potential on cap-poor teams. Examples: William Nyander, William Karlsson, Timo Meier, Jonathan Huberdeau. Not a lot of options out there though.

Add Ehlers to this list. His GF is from Ottawa too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:Really liked how Logan brown and Tkachuck really started clicking last night. If he can keep that up we will have to trade a centre when white and Anisimov comes back

Knowing us we'll send Logan back down regardless

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:It’s a funny thing…to be “in trouble” to meet the cap floor.  They can throw some money at big name free agents, but if those guys don’t sign here, they still need contract value to meet the floor.  All they have to do is look for some bad, big money contracts other teams have and then trade for them.  Lots of teams would be willing to toss in some draft picks for cap relief from their bad signings.  Just don’t take on anyone with term over a year or two.  

I agree if management can see this for what it is, a much longer rebuild. i still don't like the "competitive in two years" storyline they are floating.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Or you're super active at the draft and target players with high potential on cap-poor teams. Examples: William Nyander, William Karlsson, Timo Meier, Jonathan Huberdeau. Not a lot of options out there though.

now this is the option you would go for should we become competitive really fast. like following their 2 year plan. which I don't think we will.

People were saying colorado was on the brink of being competitive when they drafted McKinnon and Landeskog. How long did it take to really show? 4-5 years?
that's more reasonable IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nah, stick to it right now, give it 3 years, let the high draft pick get his feet wet, let the lower picks get into the league or show signs, get Bernard-Docker, Thomson, Batherson etc. into the NHL, sign Tkachuk to an 8 year if possible, lock up the core, buy a goalie then focus on other players.

That's my opinion right now anyway.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

They need to hit the cap floor. They have $20M+ off the books next season at least. You can be competitive starting next season if you draft well and you make good use of your fringe prospects and picks.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:They need to hit the cap floor. They have $20M+ off the books next season at least. You can be competitive starting next season if you draft well and you make good use of your fringe prospects and picks.

I'd like to see them competitive, yes, but we must be VERY careful we don't get saddled with another Ryan or Lucic, or Eriksson or Seabrook or Karlsson (yes, even Karlsson). Because if we do this right, we'll be spending a Cussing TON on young players and contracts.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Still have to hit the cap floor next season. Can't do that with the players we have right now

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:They need to hit the cap floor. They have $20M+ off the books next season at least. You can be competitive starting next season if you draft well and you make good use of your fringe prospects and picks.

I'd like to see them competitive, yes, but we must be VERY careful we don't get saddled with another Ryan or Lucic, or Eriksson or Seabrook or Karlsson (yes, even Karlsson).  Because if we do this right, we'll be spending a Cussing TON on young players and contracts.
I’d take on Karlsson contract. By the time we get rid of Ryan kArlsson’s contracts wouldn’t look good for sure but everyone has one of those. And 11 mill will be the 7.5 of today.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I'd like to see them competitive, yes, but we must be VERY careful we don't get saddled with another Ryan or Lucic, or Eriksson or Seabrook or Karlsson (yes, even Karlsson).  Because if we do this right, we'll be spending a Cussing TON on young players and contracts.
I’d take on Karlsson contract. By the time we get rid of Ryan kArlsson’s contracts wouldn’t look good for sure but everyone has one of those. And 11 mill will be the 7.5 of today.

I dont even know about that, he's not aging well.

If we didn't have a Diddle up owner, I'd say the sens made an astute move not signing him, but then the Cussing bunghole opens his mouth and doesnt do anything that should have been done with stone and duchene and it's all for nothing.

Still...not loving the Karlsson contract...at all.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

It's not the money. It's the regression. I think you see a shift away from bridge contracts and these younger guys will sign 6-8 year contracts in their younger 20s so they can hit another 5-8 year contract when they enter their primes. You want these guys locked up when they are on the up - not when you offer them an 8 year contract where you see them regress after year 3 or 4. Pacioretty is a perfect example and I am interested to see what happens with Stone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah stone will not age well

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:Yeah stone will not age well

Haha. Come on.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:Nah, stick to it right now, give it 3 years, let the high draft pick get his feet wet, let the lower picks get into the league or show signs, get Bernard-Docker, Thomson, Batherson etc. into the NHL, sign Tkachuk to an 8 year if possible, lock up the core, buy a goalie then focus on other players.

You lost me at buy a goalie because zero quality players will sign with the sens. And who constitutes the sens core?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Nah, stick to it right now, give it 3 years, let the high draft pick get his feet wet, let the lower picks get into the league or show signs, get Bernard-Docker, Thomson, Batherson etc. into the NHL, sign Tkachuk to an 8 year if possible, lock up the core, buy a goalie then focus on other players.

You lost me at buy a goalie because zero quality players will sign with the sens. And who constitutes the  sens core?

Tkachuk, chabot so far. Then the pick this year and we'll see where we're at.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Yeah stone will not age well

Haha. Come on.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have signed him, but I've always thought he plays a style that will not age well into his 30s

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum