GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
TheAvatar
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
Oglethorpe
Ev
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Lagoon
DefenceWinsChampionships
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's certainly hit me already. Go jets Go, let's go Buffalo

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think people are really reaching and dramatizing here. Things won't be looking so bad in a few months IMO.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

You sure you're not a dorion burner account?

Also, James mirtle on twitter mentioning rumblings of a trade. Zero context. Probably just trolling

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Happy Ceci (and hopefully Stone) day

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He's right. Stone should sign. At least if he does get traded he can help the org out with a good return. He can put in a NTC to direct where he wants to go. He'd be best of signing a 8 x 7.5M deal. Duchene at 8 x 8M. Both in Kucherov ballpark. Wouldn't pay much more for either.

I imagine the Karlsson trade was supposed to have brought in some young blood to improve key areas on the team. The reality is the Sens are worse roster wise than last year. Going to be a long season in Ottawa.

So stone requests a trade, Ottawa says no. End of story.
Most GM try and accommodate but they don’t have to. They didn’t accommodate Trouba in Winnipeg.

Stone is gonna get crazy money a year from now in FA. Why would he stay if he wants to win. This team won’t be doing much winning if or when they lose Kalrsson, duchene and stone. Boy oh boy I can’t wait till reality hits the fan on everyone. No one has a new contract and it’s august. The optics are terrible. They better not wait till the trade deadline to trade everyone.

Heatley, Spezza, Fisher. Sens have shown that they will trade a star player when he requests it. Fisher is there just to demonstrate the Sens are not vindictive and try to accommodate a player's preference. Phaneuf is another - I'm sure LA was the best destination for Elisha.

Why would Stone sign long term over 1 year? Because one hit can end your career.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The only point the Sens have against Stone is injury history which is why he shouldn't sign a one year deal anyway. He should be signing a long-term deal. Very risky otherwise.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stone signed one year deal. Nice to see they avoided arbitration. Good for Stone too. If he likes the direction of the team he can re-sign. If he stays healthy he can re-sign for more. If not, they can move him at the deadline.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

IMO this is a pretty obvious indication that new ownership is imminent.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stone was coming back this year either way. This deal just avoided arbitration. A long-term deal would have been more telling of an imminent sale. I actually think this signing speaks to the opposite. Melnyk is here to stay. A long-term extension would have been more of an indication that new ownership is imminent.

At one point though does the organization realize it's a dung show? Ranked dead last in public/fan polling, 2nd worst record in the NHL last year, a ton of off-ice drama, an owner who can't pay his players, three best players without contracts next season, season ticket sales (reportedly) at an all-time low. Melnyk, just sell the team and move on.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Stone was coming back this year either way. This deal just avoided arbitration. A long-term deal would have been more telling of an imminent sale. I actually think this signing speaks to the opposite. Melnyk is here to stay. A long-term extension would have been more of an indication that new ownership is imminent.

At one point though does the organization realize it's a dung show? Ranked dead last in public/fan polling, 2nd worst record in the NHL last year, a ton of off-ice drama, an owner who can't pay his players, three best players without contracts next season, season ticket sales (reportedly) at an all-time low. Melnyk, just sell the team and move on.

I disagree. They have been stalling all summer and haven't handed out a long term contract in years.

IMO if Melnyk was here to stay, Karlsson would be long gone by now. And so would Stone. IMO this is clear good news for the organization.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The only thing worse than a one year deal is a one year deal being awarded via arbitration.

I am not disagreeing with your logic. I see your points as extremely valid. But it's a matter of interpretation. Only Ryan, Gaborik and Smith are signed for the 20-21 season. Ryan and Smith are reportedly being shipped out and Gaborik will land on the LTIR by then. It's all about minimizing debt and maximizing cashflow until Melnyk can get a deal in place for LeBreton. Unfair to the fans and the city. The NHL should be ashamed of themselves for letting someone like this ruin hockey in a viable market.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I do think there will be a sale this year. The fans have spoken. No one will go to home games which will cripple Melnyk financially even more. He won't make it to next summer where the Sens won't have their 1st rd pick. Him and Dorion will be long gone. Boucher too. I imagine the only reason he was retained was because it would be too expensive to pay his salary and bring in a new coach.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

I am glad stone is signed before arbitration so they don't have to go through that should have long term but melnyk is just tying to barely hold the team together

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:IMO this is a pretty obvious indication that new ownership is imminent.

My immediate thought, too.

This could get very interesting. Stone clearly knows more than we do. Stone and Duchene and - for now - Karlsson are all signed to play here next year. We lost Turris, Phaneuf, Hoffman, Claesson and some plugs from the team that was one goal away from the Finals, while adding Duchene, Chabot, White, Chlapik and possibly Brown and or Tkachuk.

Re-plan the parade.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's a wait and see contract. What else could he be waiting for?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Maybe this is why Karlsson hasn't been traded yet. Maybe the pending new ownership has told them to get all these players signed for this up coming year and they'd do the rest.

We can be optimistic, right? Otherwise this could be the darkest time ever in Ottawa. Three best players gone with no 1st

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

That seems awfully hopeful. I hope you are right but it seems like we are going to be heading to a darker place before it gets better

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:That seems awfully hopeful. I hope you are right but it seems like we are going to be heading to a darker place before it gets better

I really don't think so to be honest. I go back to the Duchene trade. If it was truly going to be "dark" they could have just traded Turris for prospects and picks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum