GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 41]

4662018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Peter Regin > Alex Burrows (as a sen)

4672018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:How? Karlsson, Harpur, Chabot, Boro are already signed with Ceci likely to be extended. That's five guys right there. Claesson will probably hit free agency and Wideman should be resigned although he probably won't. Not a lot of room to load up on D unless some trades start happening but who really wants Boro or Haprur? And Ceci statistically was one of the worst dmen in the league and will probably be resigned to some ludicrous contract

Harpur and Boro can fight it out for the 6th spot, so really that's 4 spots with some huge holes. Just gaping wounds on that back end.

4682018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Missing #1 LHD, #3 RHD, and arguably #2 RHD with #1 RHD on the trade block. I think the D is better with Karlsson retained and paired with another dman who can play 25 minutes a night in a shutdown role. I believe Calgary expressed interest in Hoffman. Wonder if someone like Brodie or Hamilton would be available

4692018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Missing #1 LHD, #3 RHD, and arguably #2 RHD with #1 RHD on the trade block. I think the D is better with Karlsson retained and paired with another dman who can play 25 minutes a night in a shutdown role. I believe Calgary expressed interest in Hoffman. Wonder if someone like Brodie or Hamilton would be available

For Hoffman they would have to cough up one of those

4702018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Missing #1 LHD, #3 RHD, and arguably #2 RHD with #1 RHD on the trade block. I think the D is better with Karlsson retained and paired with another dman who can play 25 minutes a night in a shutdown role. I believe Calgary expressed interest in Hoffman. Wonder if someone like Brodie or Hamilton would be available

For Hoffman they would have to cough up one of those

4712018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Peter Regin > Alex Burrows (as a sen)

Comparison was to Dahlen. PTFlea (or 504Heater, as he was known back then), was very bullish for one Peter Regin.

My point is Dahlen has 2 AHL games and Craig Button's interview with a Vancouver talk radio station going for him at this point in time. A little early to state that he's going to be a heck of an NHL player.

4722018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Wasn't he also spezdispenser? He wasn't alone as we all had high hopes for Regin. But Dhalen is showing flashes of being a good NHL player

4732018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Regin showed flashes *in* the NHL. In the *playoffs*, no less.

Dahlen has a waits to go. Meanwhile we have several prospects just as promising.

Look, I'm not a fan of that extension, but I remember at the time of the trade looking forward to what Burrows would bring to the table in the post-season; and also teaching the likes of White how to play that style and get away with it.

It didn't happen the way I hoped but, at the time, I definitely like the possibilities.

4742018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll take the prospect of Dahlen being a good NHL player 1000 times over a washed up Burrows on a stupid contract. I think Dahlen makes it as a 2nd or 3rd liner, meanwhile we waived Burrows with no takers. Stupid.

4752018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Again, there was no stupid contract until he extended him for 2 years. He could still have contributed in the playoffs if he want banged up.

I still don't have an issue with bringing in a proven playoff guy who will do anything to win over a second rounder playing well against interior competition who may turn into a player 5 years later, the same as pretty much any other 2-3 rounder. We've had more luck with the later rounds than we've had with the 2nd round picks for some reason. What makes you think this one would turn out any different? And I'm not asking based on today's Intel but what we knew 2 years ago.

4762018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cripes, I'm the conservative guy on here but then I know you have to give to get.

4772018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In hindsight we didn't get the player we expected but if we did, and without that extension, it was absolutely a good deal.

4782018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hug-worthy, even.

4792018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:06 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess that's where we disagree then. For a guy like burrows, it's a 3rd rounder at most otherwise I'd look elsewhere like most other teams and get someone different.

4802018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:In hindsight we didn't get the player we expected but if we did, and without that extension, it was absolutely a good deal.

But this is just it, he didn’t look like he was the player he once was. It was obvious that he wasn’t what he used to be.

Dorion seems to have this problem, sees historical as predictor for future performance. And that doesn’t work. Especially with players that are deteriorating or are getting older.

Burrows, Anderson, Gaborik, even to an extent phaneuf( I’m taking this was a Murray Dorion decision).
At this point I think the kings won the phaneuf Gaborik trade. The only way this gets rescued is if gabs retires.

If it doesn’t it will look like Dorion emotionally wanted to punish phaneuf for not waiving his NTC last summer and wanted him out.
Another emotional misdirected decision.

4812018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Thompson post knee surgery is another example. Oduya?

4822018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:In hindsight we didn't get the player we expected but if we did, and without that extension, it was absolutely a good deal.

But this is just it, he didn’t look like he was the player he once was. It was obvious that he wasn’t what he used to be.

Dorion seems to have this problem, sees historical as predictor for future performance. And that doesn’t work. Especially with players that are deteriorating or are getting older.

Burrows, Anderson, Gaborik, even to an extent phaneuf( I’m taking this was a Murray Dorion decision).
At this point I think the kings won the phaneuf Gaborik trade. The only way this gets rescued is if gabs retires.

If it doesn’t it will look like Dorion emotionally wanted to punish phaneuf for not waiving his NTC last summer and wanted him out.
Another emotional misdirected decision.

I think Phaneuf is close to being done. His mobility in Ottawa went downhill so dramatically it was scary. Gaborik too, but at least he still has speed when he's healthy - when...

4832018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 32 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Burrows was "done" then that's the pro scouting, not just GM.

Phaneuf (coming in) got rid of Cowen, Greening, Michalek contracts.

Phaneuf going out swapped bad contracts, saving the Sens $2.425M (even after retaining 25%). If they buy out Gaborik they save a bit more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum