GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
Ev
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 46 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, his salary would be prorated for the rest of the season...so he'd be earning likely less than $100K if he signed today. It just means we'd have to sign him to his NEXT contract a year earlier...which may not be a bad thing, as we'd likely get him cheaper after playing just two years of pro than if he played a full three seasons.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Well, his salary would be prorated for the rest of the season...so he'd be earning likely less than $100K if he signed today.  It just means we'd have to sign him to his NEXT contract a year earlier...which may not be a bad thing, as we'd likely get him cheaper after playing just two years of pro than if he played a full three seasons.

Agreed. Another factor to consider.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Luke Kunin (Wisconsin) is closing on a deal with MIN. ATO to finish season in Iowa (AHL); NHL entry-level contract to kick in next season

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

See, THIS is decent comparable for White. The only difference here is Kunin is a year younger, and is certainly less able to make an impact in the NHL.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Well, his salary would be prorated for the rest of the season...so he'd be earning likely less than $100K if he signed today.  It just means we'd have to sign him to his NEXT contract a year earlier...which may not be a bad thing, as we'd likely get him cheaper after playing just two years of pro than if he played a full three seasons.

Don't forget the signing bonus (limited to 10% of the max salary, which is $925K). So $92,500.00 USD. That's a nice chunk of change to enjoy this summer.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:See, THIS is decent comparable for White.  The only difference here is Kunin is a year younger, and is certainly less able to make an impact in the NHL.

The interesting part is that Kunin, as a teenager, would not immediately burn a year. So they could have easily signed him, and not worried about burning a year as long as he did not play 10 games.

So not sure why they don't just sign him to an ELC, other than not giving him the signing bonus. They probably want him to go to Iowa because they are right on the bubble there. Tied for 4th in their Division but with one game less to play.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just did a little more digging.  The salary component of the ELC carries a $925K NHL salary and $70K AHL.  If Kunin was signed to an ELC he could get a signing bonus up to 10% ($92.5K) and roughly $11K  for the 12 remaining regular season games in Iowa (AHL season is 76 games).  By the way, that signing bonus simply comes out of the $925K, it's not anything extra; it's also not mandatory so the 10% is just the max.

So they are saving $11K ins AHL salary plus delaying the payment of $92.5K of his ELC next year.

It would be a very similar calculation for White, except that Bingo has nothing to play for, no chance at a post-season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting (important) part of the Kunin deal is that he *did* sign an entry level contract. It just happens to kick in starting next season, and this season he'll report to Iowa on an amateur tryout.

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/23/wisconsin-loses-captain-luke-kunin-after-two-seasons-to-nhls-wild/

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Interesting (important) part of the Kunin deal is that he *did* sign an entry level contract.  It just happens to kick in starting next season, and this season he'll report to Iowa on an amateur tryout.

http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/23/wisconsin-loses-captain-luke-kunin-after-two-seasons-to-nhls-wild/

I already posted all of that above. This is exactly what the Sens are proposing. It's not an ATO without an ELC for next year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Then he gets his signing bonus and the difference is the $11K AHL salary.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Though the Sens won last night, they won't be Pitt in a 7 game series. I don't think they'd be Washington either. So is it worthwhile to sign White? Yes, it helps your chances. But I don't think White will be that perennial player that pushes them over the top.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Stone probable for Saturday.   Great news!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Especially with Methot out long term. Getting Stone back should bolster the lineup nicely. Losing Marc is a huge blow since he's Karlsson's regular partner and they work well together.

Hopefully he's at least back for round two of the playoffs after we demolish the Leafs or handle the Rangers. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Though the Sens won last night, they won't be Pitt in a 7 game series. I don't think they'd be Washington either. So is it worthwhile to sign White? Yes, it helps your chances. But I don't think White will be that perennial player that pushes them over the top.

I think the Sens are under no pressure to sign White and that's good for the team. He'd be a nice add and I agree that he wouldn't be the difference between making it to a cup final or not.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Though the Sens won last night, they won't be Pitt in a 7 game series. I don't think they'd be Washington either. So is it worthwhile to sign White? Yes, it helps your chances. But I don't think White will be that perennial player that pushes them over the top.

Soft spots in the lineup:
- top six (Dzingel, Smith better suited to 3rd line)
- 2nd pairing (Phaneuf-Ceci are pretty awful)
- bottom six (Pyatt probably a 4th liner, Kelly too slow, Wingels doesn't bring much)

Not all soft-spots need to be fixed, naturally, and some are not big problems (e.g. Wingels). However:

- With Methot injured we will, hopefully, get a chance to see Ceci with a different partner; maybe it will help
- Certainly Claesson provides more offense (Karlsson's WOWY numbers show that pretty emphatically)
- Ryan revving up and Stone coming back will bolster the top six (Stone in, Hoffman moved up, pushes Burrows down -- Pyatt replaces Wingels)
- this opens a spot for White to replace Kelly

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-White-Stalberg

Maybe flip Smith/Hoffman to give the top line a little better size, depending on opposition. Dzingel will do better playing against softer opposition. That 4th line will be very fast. Other than Smith still being in the top six, that's a solid roster.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

- bottom six (Pyatt probably a 4th liner, Kelly too slow, Wingels doesn't bring much)

Not all soft-spots need to be fixed, naturally, and some are not big problems (e.g. Wingels).  However:

- With Methot injured we will, hopefully, get a chance to see Ceci with a different partner; maybe it will help
- Certainly Claesson provides more offense (Karlsson's WOWY numbers show that pretty emphatically)
- Ryan revving up and Stone coming back will bolster the top six (Stone in, Hoffman moved up, pushes Burrows down -- Pyatt replaces Wingels)

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-White-Stalberg

Maybe flip Smith/Hoffman to give the top line a little better size, depending on opposition.  Dzingel will do better playing against softer opposition.  That 4th line will be very fast.  Other than Smith still being in the top six, that's a solid roster.

I don't see how you start white at center. Hes likely gonna start his NHL career on the wing. Might end up being a winger too.

There are plus and minuses to having white come up and play. Could rest a few guys as we edge towards the playoffs. I also wouldn't mind too much if we don't overtake the habs and start by facing the leafs so a game here and there loss won't hurt too much and he might be a nice surprise. I doubt he'd get any playoff action unless he's amazing off the bat which is highly unlikely.

On the other hand I'd rather see him in bingo so he sees his first pro games at a lower level and sees that the level of competition is pretty hard down there too.
Wouldn't mind if we didn't lose a year off his ELC and I think it's also about sending a message about who controls the faith of players.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice lines, but I think it's pretty clear White won't be signing an ELC for this year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

Not all soft-spots need to be fixed, naturally, and some are not big problems (e.g. Wingels).  However:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-White-Stalberg

Maybe flip Smith/Hoffman to give the top line a little better size, depending on opposition.  Dzingel will do better playing against softer opposition.  That 4th line will be very fast.  Other than Smith still being in the top six, that's a solid roster.

I don't see how you start white at center. Hes likely gonna start his NHL career on the wing. Might end up being a winger too.

There are plus and minuses to having white come up and play. Could rest a few guys as we edge towards the playoffs. I also wouldn't mind too much if we don't overtake the habs and start by facing the leafs so a game here and there loss won't hurt too much and he might be a nice surprise. I doubt he'd get any playoff action unless he's amazing off the bat which is highly unlikely.

On the other hand I'd rather see him in bingo so he sees his first pro games at a lower level and sees that the level of competition is pretty hard down there too.
Wouldn't mind if we didn't lose a year off his ELC and I think it's also about sending a message about who controls the faith of players.

My thoughts on the Sens lines next year:

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Burrows
Smith-Pageau-Stone
McCormick-White-Pyatt
Extra: Paul

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum