GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
spader
SensHulk
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Ev
PTFlea
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Has there been a Cup champion in the last few years who didn't have either a top-3 from a good draft or some very fortunate picks/trades?  

Pittsburgh: Crosby(1st), Malkin(2nd), Fleury(1st)
Chicago: Kane, Toews
LA: Doughty(2nd), Gaborik(2nd)
Boston: Horton(3rd), Sequin(2nd)

Boston is a bit of a stretch since Seguin didn't play that much for them (but did contribute) and wasn't Horton injured and not really a top player by then?

Anyhow, the Sens simply haven't been *really* bad for a long time.  Their last 1st overall was the recently retired Chris Phillips (not a good draft year).

we have Bobby Ryan at #2 and Kyle Turris at #3.

So all we need is a late-blooming Vezina-winning goalie and a 6'9" Norris winner.  Mind you, the Bruins went out and got Chara as a UFA, which is the one things that we have not done (and, no, $5M for Kovalev and whatever we paid for Gonchar doesn't count).

All I'm saying is, you were saying look at these teams who won they cup, they all had Top 3 picks in their lineup. Well, so do we, and we didn't have to lose to do it.

Having said that, "Tank for Yak" was a great idea.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

""This year I'm coming into training camp with a little bit of arrogance and a business-like approach. I'm still going to be the smiley, happy-go-lucky guy but when that puck drops I'm not going to be stopped. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the job done."

Lazar ready for a big season.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Has there been a Cup champion in the last few years who didn't have either a top-3 from a good draft or some very fortunate picks/trades?  

Boston is a bit of a stretch since Seguin didn't play that much for them (but did contribute) and wasn't Horton injured and not really a top player by then?

Anyhow, the Sens simply haven't been *really* bad for a long time.  Their last 1st overall was the recently retired Chris Phillips (not a good draft year).

So all we need is a late-blooming Vezina-winning goalie and a 6'9" Norris winner.  Mind you, the Bruins went out and got Chara as a UFA, which is the one things that we have not done (and, no, $5M for Kovalev and whatever we paid for Gonchar doesn't count).

All I'm saying is, you were saying look at these teams who won they cup, they all had Top 3 picks in their lineup. Well, so do we, and we didn't have to lose to do it.

I believe the saying was "fail for Nail" and yes that pretty Much blew up in edmonton's face. Nice to see that 1st overall picks can still bust expectations and it's nice that it happened to Edmonton. Now if it could just happen to Toronto...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

First, it was 'Fail for Nail' and, second, the teams that sucked had to do it for many years. Up here, in Ottawa, if we did that then we would soon be cheering on Karlsson hoisting the Cup in a Seattle Senators jersey. So we have to strive for mediocrity until the planets align and we have a shot at contention by simply adding a 'Hudler' type player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:""This year I'm coming into training camp with a little bit of arrogance and a business-like approach. I'm still going to be the smiley, happy-go-lucky guy but when that puck drops I'm not going to be stopped. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the job done."

Where's that from?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
I believe the saying was "fail for Nail" and yes that pretty Much blew up in edmonton's face. Nice to see that 1st overall picks can still bust expectations and it's nice that it happened to Edmonton. Now if it could just happen to Toronto...

Oh, it will. Not in ways anyone is expecting, but it will.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/bobby-ryan-dear-mom/

That was rough...condolences to Bobby. This must have been weighing on him for quite some time.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

Was just coming to say that....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:

We also have Brassard, a 6th OV and Karlsson that would have been a 1st OV.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoffside wrote:
wprager wrote:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/bobby-ryan-dear-mom/

That was rough...condolences to Bobby.  This must have been weighing on him for quite some time.

From his earlier tweet is sounded like it came very quickly, but not necessarily suddenly. Don't know if that makes sense. I wonder if she'd been battling some health issues and that's been weighing on him. Getting married, having a kid, losing your mother -- all in quick succession. The highs and the lows. Really hoping he has a rebound year, dedicate it to his mother.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

All of those high picks we have we got from teams that no-longer wanted them, for one reason or another. Not that I'm unhappy with Turris, but he did not progress like Phoenix expected him to. He was actually rated as the top NA skater by Central Scouting (Kane went 1st overall -- wonder what happened).

Anyway, I'm talking about a player of a higher calibre than either Turris or Brassard. Ryan *used to be* that player but, again, we got him from a team whose GM said he couldn't spell intensity.

I like Bobby, I think he is a much better player than his stats (with the Sens) have shown so far. But, again, he really hasn't been that game breaker here.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:""This year I'm coming into training camp with a little bit of arrogance and a business-like approach. I'm still going to be the smiley, happy-go-lucky guy but when that puck drops I'm not going to be stopped. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the job done."

Where's that from?

Thanks for answering Facepalm

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=47324

He also talks about Pokemon Go.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:All of those high picks we have we got from teams that no-longer wanted them, for one reason or another.  Not that I'm unhappy with Turris, but he did not progress like Phoenix expected him to.  He was actually rated as the top NA skater by Central Scouting (Kane went 1st overall -- wonder what happened).

Anyway, I'm talking about a player of a higher calibre than either Turris or Brassard.  Ryan *used to be* that player but, again, we got him from a team whose GM said he couldn't spell intensity.

I like Bobby, I think he is a much better player than his stats (with the Sens) have shown so far.  But, again, he really hasn't been that game breaker here.

I'm not too worried. With a better center he'll put up more points this year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Correct me if I am wrong too but Ryan mostly played on the LW in Anaheim? Perhaps we see some sort of Ryan-Brassard-Stone combo at some point in the year

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwuxkedjiwg

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Naw he won't play LW. He doesn't like it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:All of those high picks we have we got from teams that no-longer wanted them, for one reason or another.  Not that I'm unhappy with Turris, but he did not progress like Phoenix expected him to.  He was actually rated as the top NA skater by Central Scouting (Kane went 1st overall -- wonder what happened).

Anyway, I'm talking about a player of a higher calibre than either Turris or Brassard.  Ryan *used to be* that player but, again, we got him from a team whose GM said he couldn't spell intensity.

I like Bobby, I think he is a much better player than his stats (with the Sens) have shown so far.  But, again, he really hasn't been that game breaker here.

I'm not too worried. With a better center he'll put up more points this year.

There's no doubt Brassard is a better set-up man than Zibanejad. He is also a left-handed center. So, yeah, I think he's poised for a much better season than the last two. Might want to get better gloves as well, as he's been playing through a broken finger in each of the last two seasons.

I'd like to see Hoffman with Turris and Stone. Both righties. We could have a legitimate 40 goal threat. Then a second line with Brassard/Ryan and MacArthur.

So, Hoffman with 40-ish and Turris/Stone combining for another 50, a total of 90 goals for the top line. Ryan back to 30, plus 40 between MacArthur and Brassard for another 70. Add 40 more for the third line of Smith-Pageau-Lazar, 20 for Karlsson and 20 more between Ceci and Phaneuf. 240 goals. Add another 20 for the 4th line (maybe a stretch) and 10 more for the remaining D-men and that's 270 goals. Am I overly optimistic? Most likely -- last season the Sens had 230 (so nearly a 0.5 goals/game increase) and Dallas led the league with 265.

If Turris had stayed healthy, with MacArthur in the lineup, and Phaneuf here for the full season, that 230 would certainly have been higher. 270 is a stretch, for sure, but another 7 goals last season would have put us top-five, and that's definitely achievable.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did Hoffman really get 13 points in his last 13 games last season? I thought he was supposed to have dropped off down the stretch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum