GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deadline moves.

+12
SensHulk
TheAvatar
DefenceWinsChampionships
dennycrane
spader
tim1_2
Ev
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 40]

76Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:03 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Darren Dreger seems to think Ottawa won't do much. So get ready for lots of trades for the Sens.

I don't see many trades coming.  A lot of what they want to do - ie. get a top 6 player, preferable C will/could happen in the summer.

A guess:

Smith for a 2nd
Wiercioch for a 4th
Chiasson for a 4th

and that's that.

Frankly, I hope they keep Smith. The way he's been playing with JGP gives me a lot of hope. Those two could be a great duo on the 3rd line of a good team.

You kind of have a more talented version of Smith in Dzingel going forward.  I think they can plug him into that spot and flourish going forward, then sell high on Smith and use that pick to either make a trade, move up, or select another young buck.

But, Smith has been excellent this year.

Yes smith has been good this year. Almost to the point of being an anomaly. Personally I think this is the best time to capitalize on his value and if we don't this will go as another missed opportunity. We have guys that could benefit from having a shot at his postion. I'd like to see some internal competition for the rest of the year. See what we have. Raise the value of some of those prospects leading to the draft. See if we can include some of them in a drouin trade. Or another trade.
Stop looking backwards for answers and look forwards.  

The real anomaly was last year when he clearly wasn't right, Smith has had 13 and 14 goal seasons before. And a good way to look forward and move forward is to keep useful players around instead of attempting trial and error with unproven prospects.

Besides, with Chiasson likely gone you will have one more spot to fill with one of our can't-miss prospects.

77Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I'd agree with SSF. Unless a really good offer came in for Smith (more than a 2nd), I wouldn't deal him. He's only 27, and seems to be a great fit on the wing. He can take faceoffs when necessary, he can go on the PK or PP...a pretty versatile player. I'd rather have him in our lineup right now over ZBad, which is kind of crazy to say.

78Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:29 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

If Smith has finally found his place (don't forget, he's tried the wing before and it was a disaster) then, yes, he would definitely be better than Prince or Puempel. If all things were equal. But they aren't. He's set to make $2.35M next season and will ask for $3M+ if he gets anywhere near 20 (he's on pace for 19). Everyone seems to think that Smith is the type of player who would show his worth in the playoffs. Well, in 23 post-season games he has 1 goal and 2 assists. He's been around long enough that it's hard to expect him to suddenly change. Do we need a $3M+ fourth line center or 3rd line winger who no-longer throws his body around with reckless abandon like he used to and who, frankly, disappears in the playoffs?

I still say sell high.

79Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Knowing what we know, I agree that you sell high on Smith. If the team manages to win 3 in a row out west, you can keep him and still deal him at the draft. The worst case is that you have him next year at 2.35, which is well under the average NHL salary. I have always been a fan of Smith's and felt he was miscast under MacLean.

80Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What is "selling high" though? A 2nd round pick? I wouldn't do that. A late first? Yeah, maybe..? It's entirely dependent on the return.... I don't want to deal him with the assumption that one of our prospects will replace him.

81Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:16 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Darren Dreger seems to think Ottawa won't do much. So get ready for lots of trades for the Sens.

I don't see many trades coming.  A lot of what they want to do - ie. get a top 6 player, preferable C will/could happen in the summer.

A guess:

Smith for a 2nd
Wiercioch for a 4th
Chiasson for a 4th

and that's that.

I can see Neil getting traded over Smith. Wiercioch and Chiasson will be shopped but I am not sure there will be interest.

Might see Zib get traded in a package for a real #1 C but also doubt that happens.

82Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

A guess:

Smith for a 2nd
Wiercioch for a 4th
Chiasson for a 4th

and that's that.

I can see Neil getting traded over Smith. Wiercioch and Chiasson will be shopped but I am not sure there will be interest.

Might see Zib get traded in a package for a real #1 C but also doubt that happens.

I think Zib goes in the summer. We can't come in next year with Turris and Zib as 1-2 Cs, this year has proven that pretty concretely IMO. Even if White comes in and does well, I'd rather have a bonafide top line C, then Turris and keep White in the AHL for a year.

83Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

A guess:

Smith for a 2nd
Wiercioch for a 4th
Chiasson for a 4th

and that's that.

I would welcome trading ZBad+ for another top 6 centre. I hesitate to say #1 C, because I think Turris fills that role when he's healthy.

As I've said before on Neil, there's no way he gets traded. Murray treats his loyal players right. Unless Neil asks to go, he won't go. And he ain't going to ask to go as he has a young family here.

84Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:What is "selling high" though?  A 2nd round pick?  I wouldn't do that.  A late first?  Yeah, maybe..?  It's entirely dependent on the return....  I don't want to deal him with the assumption that one of our prospects will replace him.

We wouldn't get a 1st, I don't think. If he was a proven post-season warrior then maybe but not with 1 goal and 2 assists in 23 games over four years. The fear here is that he regresses to what he did last season and then we get nothing.

And while $2.35M may be "average" across the whole NHL, it is far above average for 4th liners and likely above average for 3rd liners, too.

85Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Turris has proven that, when healthy, he's a legit 1LC. He may not be elite, but he's legit. But if Turris is your 1LC then you need a 2LC that's close to that level, and Zibanejad isn't; certainly not yet, debatable if ever. Pageau is very good as a 3LC who can occasionally sub in as 2LC. If White is in the NHL next year he's probably going to be brought along slowly as the 4LC or on the wing, filling in as the 3LC in case of injuries.

I wonder what a package like Zibanejad+Smith+Wiercioch could bring? Throw on a pick and/or prospect and turn that into Duschene?

86Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:25 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
I wonder what a package like Zibanejad+Smith+Wiercioch could bring?  Throw on a pick and/or prospect and turn that into Duschene?

That sounds like quantity over quality. If you're trading for Duchene, it makes all the sense in the world to send ZBad back, but Smith and Wiercioch are 3rd line/3rd pairing players. So I guess it depends on what pick/prospect you want to include.

87Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ I agree, and he's not worth much, so why bother?

88Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:35 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Neil isn't going anywhere, dunno why anyone thinks he would. Murray won't trade him.

Maybe there's something up with St Louis, but the more likely scenario, I think, is something like Wiercioch + Hoffman for Drouin and a pick.

No way.  Hoffman is worth way more than Drouin right now.  He scored 27 last year and is on pace for 30+ this year.  30 goal scorers don't grow on trees.  

I've explained why you're wrong before, so I won't bother this time around.  I will say that nobody should get too attached to Mike Hoffy Hoffman.

I think you're the one who's wrong, old friend, I don't understand the hatred towards young Mr. Hoffman. Anyways, I think he's greatly undervalued in the sens community.

89Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I just don't think smith puts us over the top. I'd rather trade him at an all time high and have a guy like lazar or even McCormick or white center the fourth line seriously. We should have much better options on the wing. I believe whoever the GM this summer is will adress the left side and with MacArthur returning next year we won't have room for smith on the wing.
Let's trade him and at least have some youth battle out for spots this season and see what we have.

I know there's a belief still that we can make the post season but really, does anyone see us making a dent in the post season? Not that I'd want to tank but at this point it's almost more valuable to see what youth can do and showcase what they can do because you can probably bet that some of them will be involved Ina trade this summer.

90Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:38 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:White isn't playing ahl. Doesn't need it.

He actually can't, can he? he's still a teenager. I'm not sure he's ready for the big show though (right out of college ?!?). Especially not as #2Centerman.

91Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Neil isn't going anywhere, dunno why anyone thinks he would. Murray won't trade him.

Maybe there's something up with St Louis, but the more likely scenario, I think, is something like Wiercioch + Hoffman for Drouin and a pick.

No way.  Hoffman is worth way more than Drouin right now.  He scored 27 last year and is on pace for 30+ this year.  30 goal scorers don't grow on trees.  

I've explained why you're wrong before, so I won't bother this time around.  I will say that nobody should get too attached to Mike Hoffy Hoffman.

I think you're the one who's wrong, old friend, I don't understand the hatred towards young Mr. Hoffman.  Anyways, I think he's greatly undervalued in the sens community.

I think it's as simple as the team would rather pay Ceci 4 million than pay Hoffman 5.5

92Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

I think you're the one who's wrong, old friend, I don't understand the hatred towards young Mr. Hoffman.  Anyways, I think he's greatly undervalued in the sens community.

I think it's as simple as the team would rather pay Ceci 4 million than pay Hoffman 5.5

Who is going to provide Hoffman's goals then ?

93Deadline moves. - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadline moves. Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

I didn't realize I hated Hoffman. I actually very much appreciate what he brings to the team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum