GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense?

+2
asq2
davetherave
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

110 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

USA Today's hockey analyst Kevin Allen shares his thoughts on off-season moves he feels are key to these clubs. His article follows.

10 offseason moves that would make sense
Kevin Allen, USA TODAY 14 MAY 2009

After five one-goal games in the Washington-Pittsburgh series, it made no sense that Game 7 was one-sided. It also made no sense that goaltending, Vancouver's chief strength, was its undoing in the deciding game of the Western Conference semifinals.

It makes no sense that Scott Walker didn't get suspended, or that Carolina's Rod Brind'Amour had only one point going into Game 7 against Boston. And it made less sense that Pavel Datsyuk hadn't found the net in the first six games against Anaheim.

This prompts me to ponder some moves this summer that actually would make sense:

1. New York Islanders drafting Viktor Hedman: Originally my thought was that it made sense for the Islanders to grab John Tavares to give the team a premium young scorer to build around, but the more I explore the draft possibilities the more obvious it becomes that 6-6 Swedish defenseman Hedman would be the best choice.

First, I've talked to too many people in the hockey community who don't believe the Tavares selection is as safe as taking Hedman, who might be Sweden's answer to Chris Pronger.

In fairness to Tavares, scouts have been watching him for so long that they now know every blemish and wart on his game. That always happens with top North American prospects. Plus, scouts don't see Hedman as much because he plays in Sweden. His imperfections aren't as well known.

However, hockey folks who have seen Hedman play regularly say he's a very consistent, solid performer who can play next season and then gradually grow into the role of a 25-minute defenseman.

The other reason why I favor the Islanders taking Hedman over Tavares is my memory that the foundation of Islanders' four Stanley Cup championships was their selection of defenseman Denis Potvin as their No. 1 choice in the 1973 draft.

2. Colorado Avalanche acquiring goaltending help: Whoever lands the Colorado general manager job has issues to deal with because the team has $43 million tied up in 14 players. This roster needs an overhaul, but it probably should start in the net.

All last summer, the media wrote that Avalanche needed to make a goaltending move. The same is true this season. The problem is there aren't a lot of options. Nikolai Khabibulin and Martin Biron are the prime free agents. The other intriguing goaltending scenario would be talking to Atlanta about Kari Lehtonen or Ondrej Pavelec.

It would seem as if the Thrashers might have to trade one of them, and there would be considerable interest in either.

3. Los Angeles Kings going after Marian Gaborik: Two summers ago, Dean Lombardi dipped into the free agent marketplace with poor results. But the timing was all wrong. They spent all last season in rebuilding mode, and now they have a strong collection of talented young players, such as Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Jonathan Quick, Anze Kopitar, etc., who are just starting to emerge.
The Kings look a bit more attractive than they have in the past. And doesn't it seem like Gaborik was born to play in LA?

4. Atlanta finding a center for Ilya Kovalchuk: If the Thrashers want to keep Kovalchuk long-term, they have to find him a center who complements his skill level. The problem is that there aren't many centers in the free agent market place.

The one who probably makes sense would be Nik Antropov. Kovalchuk knows him and their styles would appear to work well together.

5. Columbus Blue Jackets finding a center for Rick Nash: The problem is that I don't see a good fit in the free agent marketplace. I see Saku Koivu re-signing in Montreal.

The one wild card idea I like is going after Mike Cammalleri, who can play wing or center.

6. Nashville Predators wooing Alexander Radulov back: The Predators were last in the division in goal scoring last season, and getting Radulov to come back from Russia would be better than landing a 35-goal scorer in the free agent market place because Radulov has one season left at $984,000.

7. Vancouver Canucks re-signing the Sedins and waving goodbye to Mats Sundin: Let's be realistic and just say that Vancouver is the twins' best option if they want to stay together. There are teams that afford the $12 million to $14 million required to make it work, but there aren't as attractive as Vancouver where the Sedins have established their homes.

As soon as the Canucks heard that Sundin wanted to take his time this summer to make the right decision, that should be their cue to exit stage right.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs signing Swedish goaltender Jonas Gustavsson: Some scouts love this unrestricted free agent, and others view him as a 50-50 prospect.
But the Leafs aren't enamored with their goalkeeping, and it would make sense for him to sign with an organization that might give him a chance to challenge for the No. 1 job. What would the Leafs have to lose?

9. Minnesota Wild hiring a salesman as coach or general manager: Minnesota should be one of the more attractive stops in the NHL because the state loves hockey and Minneapolis-St. Paul offers an attractive standard of living. But players hasn't flocked to Minnesota because Jacques Lemaire's coaching style — while successful — wasn't fun to play and the Wild have seemed stuck in neutral.

Wild owner Craig Leipold is taking his time and it would make sense for him to bring in a general manager and/or coach who can sell Minnesota being a desirable place to play. Maybe they can convince Saku Koivu to come and play with his brother.

10. Tampa Bay Lightning owners maintaining a low profile: It's fair to say that the new Lightning ownership gained goofball status last summer thanks to a series of moves in which they seemed to be playing fantasy hockey. Since Brian Lawton became GM, there seems to be more stability. In the name of credibility, it would make sense for this organization to be more buttoned up this summer.

It certainly makes sense for the team to simply move ahead building around centers Vinny Lecavalier and Steven Stamkos. It would make sense to acquire some defensive help and take the slow methodical approach to refurbishing this team.

---

Thoughts and comments, anyone/everyone? Smile

210 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Mon May 18, 2009 1:33 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Do Brassard and Nash really have that little chemistry?

310 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Mon May 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Do Brassard and Nash really have that little chemistry?

I'm guessing that he has only played 48 games over 2 years hasn't helped.

410 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Mon May 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

1. New York Islanders drafting Victor Hedman:
Makes sense, but I really have a hard time believing anyone else will go #1 other than Tavares, not because he may be the best choice, but because you do not want to be the team that doesn't draft him. On the other hand, if it is true how much Toronto wants him, then if you are NYI, you are thinking of the return you could get.

2. Colorado Avalanche acquiring goaltending help:
Definitely their Achilles heel, and if rumors of Roy coaching are true, you know the best (arguably) goalie to ever play the game will want that area addressed. There are options out there, either via FA or trade that would work, but how well?

3. Los Angeles Kings going after Marian Gaborik:
Young team, plenty of room to spend, but you also want to keep that room to re-sign your youth in a few years.

4. Atlanta finding a center for Ilya Kovalchuk:
Little?

5. Columbus Blue Jackets finding a center for Rick Nash:
Brassard? Mike Cam's would be a good fit, and they have room too.

6. Nashville Predators wooing Alexander Radulov back:
He should never have left. He'd be renegotiating now if he had have kept playing.

7. Vancouver Canucks re-signing the Sedins and waving goodbye to Mats Sundin:
Don't like the Sedins, I'd have shipped them out earlier while they were a commodity and spent elsewhere. They likely want too much money and likely will never play against each other. Sundin was a short term solution that never panned out. Hodgson is the future.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs signing Swedish goaltender Jonas Gustavsson:
Who cares, he hasn't played in the NHL - he could be a bust. Oli and CuJo are gone, and Pogge was the wrong guy to keep.

9. Minnesota Wild hiring a salesman as coach or general manager:
Great city, the Canada of the South (though Minny is further North than some of Canada). Need a new direction from their defense first and allow their offensively gifted players to do their thing.

10. Tampa Bay Lightning owners maintaining a low profile:
Worst run franchise in the league. An embarrassment that a team can go through so much change (players, staff, owners) and still exist in a poor market, yet Canada cannot get their teams back.

Bettman better relocate these teams quickly, cause the owners don't want to be paying high salaries, so move them and sell them to a city/owner that will pay and let them keep their star players. Hard to market a team that trades away their best players.

510 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Mon May 18, 2009 7:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Great stuff, Dash...

My take on your take:

Do it. Or take Tavares. Can't lose either way, as the Isles need defense, but they are even worse in the Goals For department.

His name is Cristobal Huet. And Dale Tallon is waiting for the phone call.

Gaborik is a better fit in Montreal. As the guy in the ING TV commercial says, "Save Your Money."

Little.

Cammalleri is the opposite of the kind of player Hitch likes. Antoine Vermette, Derrick Brassard and Nik Filatov are more than just fine...they're perfect for Nash.

If David Poile can pull it off, he's a genius.

Hodgson is the future. Gillis should trade him for Dany Heatley--he wants to win NOW. If he lets the Sedins go he should have his head examined.

The Maple Leafs=SNAFU. For those who need to know what that military term means, "Situation Normal All F&cked Up".

ABM. Anybody But McGuire. Wait a minute...maybe McGuire's exactly what they need..."The Mouth That Roared".

Oren Koules should stick to making trashy blockbusters and sell his team to Jim Balsillie.

610 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Tue May 19, 2009 1:19 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Tavares, Hedman = apples, oranges. The top 2 in the draft are the winners. Tampa is cheering for NYI to take Hedman so they can peddle their pick.
Duh. Look for Ray Emery here.

They have said that they want to make an impact, so expect Gaborik, Vinny, or Spezza.
I agree with the comment about Little. What they need is a second line threat to take the heat off of Kovalchuk.

Same comments as in Atlanta.

I don't think he's welcome back in Nashville. This reeks of getting him back, then trading him.

I think the Canucks will resign him, but they won't wait past July 1. And he won't get ten million.

They'll try.
They don't really need to, as they sell out every game. They do need to change their philosophy. This is my early dark horse for next year's cup.
Unlikely. I bet they deal the #2 if Hedman goes #1.

710 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I love that Tampa one. Made me laugh. How about in more direct terms - Tampa ownership should shut the heck up. LOL.

- Unknown Author

810 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Empty Re: 10 Offseason Moves That Make Sense? Tue May 19, 2009 8:53 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

10. Should have been BM's pick. Facepalm Ahhhhh! Crying 🇬🇬

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum