GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OT: Anyone like Prog Rock?

+6
wprager
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
spader
tim1_2
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

31OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:17 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

32OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:27 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

My wife likes Gabriel, but I was more into Phil Collins. Loved his drum sound (gated reverb). Don't Care Anymore and that whole album (Hello I must be Going) was great. Then he went mainstream with fluff like Sussudio and then his weird Disney affiliation (affliction?) Oh, well.

33OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

My wife likes Gabriel, but I was more into Phil Collins.  Loved his drum sound (gated reverb).  Don't Care Anymore and that whole album (Hello I must be Going) was great.  Then he went mainstream with fluff like Sussudio and then his weird Disney affiliation (affliction?)  Oh, well.

Phil Collins at his best behind the kit was in the 70s without question. Not sure how much you follow Collins/Genesis, but if you can't get into the Genesis where Peter Gabriel fronted the band, then check out A Trick of the Tail for a more 'accessible' Genesis and for amazing drum work by Collins.

It wasn't just Collins that went towards pop/rock or just flat out pop, it was a sign o' the times. A lot of bands tried to change over from weird prog rock to a softer sound, but the reality was that Collins and Genesis just happened to do it better than 99.9% of them. IMHO Invisible Touch and Genesis self-titled are two fantastically written pop albums, very few wasted tracks on either of those albums, but some fans would simple never forgive them for going from being a top 5 prog rock act (featuring Gabriel dressed like a fox in a woman's dress) to the bubble gum pop that they would become in the 80s.

Also, the Tarzan soundtrack featured some killer drumming. Especially Two Worlds.

34OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:07 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know... when I think about Killer drumming, something more like Message in a Bottle comes to mind.

35OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Meh, it's pretty subjective trying to rank drumming.  I think 70s era Collins is fantastic, especially live.

EDIT: You meant Two Worlds...maybe 'killer' is a little strong describing that, but it's good.

36OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With Collins the drumming wasn't technically up there but I loved the sound and the creativity. To me, "killer" drumming is more like Ian Paice (Deep Purple).

Found this -- Paul McCartney with David Gilmour and Ian Paice at the Cavern in 1999:

37OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sir Paul's voice isn't quite what it used to be and he sounds a bit off tune in a couple pieces (I can't tell if he's wearing an earpiece). But that's still a fun concert.

38OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmm, what does technical mesn necessarily? Collins was close to perfect.

39OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Hmm, what does technical mesn necessarily?  Collins was close to perfect.

I don't think Collins could keep up with Paice on the physical side (beating them drums as fast and hard as that).

40OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:18 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Collins is no Barriemore Barlow.

41OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like fraggle rock. Does that count?

- Unknown Author

42OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:05 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I like fraggle rock. Does that count?

Of course.

43OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:43 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

What about Buddy Rich, there's nothing like Jazz when it comes to drumming.

44OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:What about Buddy Rich, there's nothing like Jazz when it comes to drumming.

What about that kid from Whiplash?

45OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:45 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I like fraggle rock.  Does that count?

Of course.
So underrated. Those guys were crazier than motorhead. They were crunching on crystal method all the time.

46OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:21 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I like fraggle rock.  Does that count?

Of course.
So underrated.  Those guys were crazier than motorhead. They were crunching on crystal method all the time.

That's what fueled and enhanced their creative and innovative sound and also spelled their demise.

47OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:27 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:What about Buddy Rich, there's nothing like Jazz when it comes to drumming.

What about that kid from Whiplash?

Give him credit, he can actually play.
Should have started a band instead of playing in Fantastic Four Laugh1

48OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 3 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

One of my personal favourites on the whole entire internet:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum