GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #20: Flyers @ Sens - 7:00pm - Saturday Nov. 21 2015

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

GAME DAY #20: Flyers @ Sens - 7:00pm - Saturday Nov. 21 2015

GAME DAY #20: Flyers @ Sens - 7:00pm - Saturday Nov. 21 2015 Large GAME DAY #20: Flyers @ Sens - 7:00pm - Saturday Nov. 21 2015 At-24-000000 GAME DAY #20: Flyers @ Sens - 7:00pm - Saturday Nov. 21 2015 Large

The Sens complete their longest homestand of the season -- and also hit the 20-game mark -- as they host the struggling Philadelphia Flyers to their barn.  Thursday night's win over Columbus strengthened their hold on 2nd place in the Atlantic, as they are now a full 2 points (and 2 games in hand) ahead of Tampa, and 3 points (no games) ahead of Detroit.  Maintaining a top-three place in the Division is important because if you look at the two wildcard teams, they are right on Ottawa's tail (Islanders are tied in points in as many games, and Devils are 2 back but with a game in hand).  Every team ahead or slightly behind Ottawa has more ROWs so the tie-breaker is not our friend.  Simply put, we need to keep pace with the other teams in our Division (so no more losing to Detroit).

Although the Sens had lost 2 of the first four games of this homestand, the losses came in OT/SO, so Ottawa actually has a chance to finish with 8 of a possible 10 points.  That would not be bad, at all.  As badly -- or, perhaps, inconsistently -- as Ottawa has played this season, over the last 10 games they actually have more than kept pace with the Canadiens, gaining a point in the standings on their closest (distance-wise) Division rival.  In fact, of all the teams in the East only the Rangers (9-1-0) and Penguins (7-3-0)  have more standings points over their last 10 games.  No doubt, much of this recent success has to do with the suddenly-potent power play which, until Thursday night, was on a 50% pace over the last 5 games.  Against Columbus they managed one goal in 5 opportunities, and that coming with the opposition net empty.

The Flyers is one of the few teams with fewer ROWs than the Senators.  They are just 3 points ahead of the last team in the East, and 4 ahead of the league-worst Oilers.  They are dead last in the league in goals for per game.  Their powerplay is atrocious (28th?)  They are not making the playoffs.  But in this league any team can beat any other team on any given night (just ask the 30-point Habs and Rangers who, last night, lost to 19-point Coyotes and Lighting, respectively). The Sens will need to maintain a strong forecheck to push the Flyers' defensemen into making mistakes.  

With the suspected concussion to Wiercioch, Cowen will draw back in after being a healthy scratch the last game.  Ryan thinks he may be OK to go but we will find out closer to game time.  If he's too sore to play expect Prince to draw back in.  
Anderson has already been confirmed as the starter.

GO SENS GO!!!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would like for the Sens to win this match.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:I would like for the Sens to win this match.

You mean this ice hockey match? If so, I second this motion.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dont care where the flyers sit, they are never an easy team to play against. They have quite a few players that can turn it on. Shutting them down is essential and scoring early on.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Its also time for stone to get going a little bit and start scoring some goals. To early to really say he's having a slump but he needs to het going. Especially if Bobby sits this one out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Dont care where the flyers sit, they are never an easy team to play against. They have quite a few players that can turn it on. Shutting them down is essential and scoring early on.

League-worst goals for per game. They are just not getting it done. Maybe they need some puck movement from the back-end.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's a well written preview.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:That's a well written preview.

You should have seen it before I removed a 20-line paragraph about the Lumbus game.

So, Kostka has been recalled but Cowen was skating with Ceci on the 2nd pairing. I take it this could mean that Wiercioch could be out for a while and/or they have a very short leash with Cowen.

Or ..... maybe a trade is in the works?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ryan still a game time decision but he expects to play.

Kostka was brought up because they are heading out on a Western Conference trip (Dallas, Colorado, Arizona) so if anything happens they need someone close by; this means Wiercioch will miss at least the next 4 games (tonight and the road trip).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Previews! Get your previews here!

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=400815158
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020294

Karlsson has 5 goals (all of his goals) in the last 5 games (14 game goal-drought before that). He has been held off the scoreboard in his last 3 against Philly, and goal-less in his last 8. Time to change this up.

Anderson played in one game against the Flyers last season, losing 2-1 in a five round Shoot Out after stopping 33 shots in regulation and OT.

Pageau and Stone led the Sens with 2 goals apiece against Philly last season. Both could use a boost right about now.

The Flyers lost 1-0 to San Jose in overtime on Thursday, but they certainly had their chances putting up 34 shots over 60+ minutes; they outshot the Sharks 15-5 in the second but failed to capitalize on their chances. Melker Karlsson scored late in OT for the win. Let's hope that name haunts Philly again.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kostka! I hope he draws in

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kostka?!?!? Oh wait, I broke this news overnight already.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did you see the pictures of Kostka side by side with Thor? Uncanny likeness.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Did you see the pictures of Kostka side by side with Thor?  Uncanny likeness.

Agreed. Mighty Thor does look like Mike Kostka.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let's win this one, Senatores. Philly sucks. Go Matrix .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum