GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+12
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
Oglethorpe
PTFlea
Ev
tim1_2
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
SensHulk
spader
wprager
SeawaySensFan
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Johansen is really good and all, but we don't really need him. That said, if we're trading ZBad+ or something for an upgrade at the #2C postion, then I'd be interested.  But if we're giving up a bunch, I'd rather do it for a good defenceman.

Ceci, Zib, Puempel, 1st

RyJo, Savard

Savard immediately becomes the #3 we're looking for locking down the right side of the second pairing. RyJo plays 1st or 2nd line and our 1-2 punch is the envy of the league.

Boom. Roasted.

EDIT: Considering that RyJo could likely snag a package like Ceci+Pumps+1st on his own, I reserve the right to add to my package. Savard is real good.

Why bother swapping Ceci for savard?

spader

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Johansen is really good and all, but we don't really need him. That said, if we're trading ZBad+ or something for an upgrade at the #2C postion, then I'd be interested.  But if we're giving up a bunch, I'd rather do it for a good defenceman.

Ceci, Zib, Puempel, 1st

RyJo, Savard

Savard immediately becomes the #3 we're looking for locking down the right side of the second pairing. RyJo plays 1st or 2nd line and our 1-2 punch is the envy of the league.

Boom. Roasted.

EDIT: Considering that RyJo could likely snag a package like Ceci+Pumps+1st on his own, I reserve the right to add to my package. Savard is real good.

Why bother swapping Ceci for savard?

I really like Savard. Shrug

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Price out with an injury, Condon to start the third period.

Woohoo!

They still beat the Rangers 5-1. It was supposed to be a tight game between two of the best clubs in the league. With Ottawa taking care of business in Dallas and this, last night, The Habs now have sole possession of the Presidents Choice Trophy if it were to be handed out today.

Meanwhile the Sens are on a little thing called a winning streak. 4 in a row gets them a nice little 3 day-vacay in Arizona.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So since Price re-injured the same leg (I assume either a groin or a knee ligament strain) chances are good he won't be back right away. It took more than 2 weeks last time and he only lasted a couple of games. And Gallagher is out 6 weeks. Also read that Semin will miss some time -- not that it really matters with that one. Injuries catching up to their hot start. This *will* slow them down, regardless of the outcome last night.

They have two back-to-back against New Jersey coming up -- that will be 3 games in 4 nights. They could end up losing both games. And if the Sens, then, beat the Coyotes, they'd be 5 back with 2 games in hand.

Dare to dream.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Very cool story here:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14232028/nhl-week-grab-bag-falls-henrik-lundqvist-gary-bruce-bettman

Last week's obscure player was Ralph Backstrom, a longtime Montreal Canadiens forward who spent almost 15 years in Montreal before being traded to the Los Angeles Kings. But as a few readers pointed out, I left out arguably the most important detail of that trade. So I'm going to fix that now, with the help of this week's obscure player: Gord Labossiere.

Labossiere was a center who played for the Kings, Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers during a six-year NHL career in the 1960s and '70s. He'd been a minor league star, but was mostly a depth guy at the pro level. And he was also the main piece going to Montreal in the Backstrom trade, back in 1971.

And that's where it gets interesting, because the Habs clearly didn't get much in that deal; they didn't even keep Labossiere, flipping him to Minnesota the same day for prospect Rey Comeau, who would play just four games with Montreal. Even given that Backstrom had asked for a trade, surely GM Sam Pollock could have done better for a multi-time All-Star, right? Wasn't he supposed to be some sort of genius?

Instead, Pollock practically gave Backstrom away, then saw the veteran go to L.A. and rack up 27 points in 33 games. The Kings were a bad team, one that was battling with the Oakland Seals to stay out of last place overall, but adding Backstrom served as the turning point of their season, and they finished well clear of the basement. So Pollock traded a useful player for essentially nothing at all, then watched that player lift his new team in the standings. The Seals wound up with the top pick in that year's draft. Except for one thing: They didn't own their pick that year. They had traded it during the previous offseason to ... Sam Pollock and the Montreal Canadiens. Yep. The Backstrom trade was just Pollock's way of giving the Kings a little boost, an effort to ensure the Canadiens kept the top pick.

Montreal used that first overall pick to select a flashy winger named Guy Lafleur, who would score 518 goals and win five Stanley Cups as a Hab. And the rest of the hockey world learned, once again, a valuable lesson: Sam Pollock is smarter than you.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Very cool story here:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14232028/nhl-week-grab-bag-falls-henrik-lundqvist-gary-bruce-bettman

Last week's obscure player was Ralph Backstrom, a longtime Montreal Canadiens forward who spent almost 15 years in Montreal before being traded to the Los Angeles Kings. But as a few readers pointed out, I left out arguably the most important detail of that trade. So I'm going to fix that now, with the help of this week's obscure player: Gord Labossiere.

Labossiere was a center who played for the Kings, Minnesota North Stars and New York Rangers during a six-year NHL career in the 1960s and '70s. He'd been a minor league star, but was mostly a depth guy at the pro level. And he was also the main piece going to Montreal in the Backstrom trade, back in 1971.

And that's where it gets interesting, because the Habs clearly didn't get much in that deal; they didn't even keep Labossiere, flipping him to Minnesota the same day for prospect Rey Comeau, who would play just four games with Montreal. Even given that Backstrom had asked for a trade, surely GM Sam Pollock could have done better for a multi-time All-Star, right? Wasn't he supposed to be some sort of genius?

Instead, Pollock practically gave Backstrom away, then saw the veteran go to L.A. and rack up 27 points in 33 games. The Kings were a bad team, one that was battling with the Oakland Seals to stay out of last place overall, but adding Backstrom served as the turning point of their season, and they finished well clear of the basement. So Pollock traded a useful player for essentially nothing at all, then watched that player lift his new team in the standings. The Seals wound up with the top pick in that year's draft. Except for one thing: They didn't own their pick that year. They had traded it during the previous offseason to ... Sam Pollock and the Montreal Canadiens. Yep. The Backstrom trade was just Pollock's way of giving the Kings a little boost, an effort to ensure the Canadiens kept the top pick.

Montreal used that first overall pick to select a flashy winger named Guy Lafleur, who would score 518 goals and win five Stanley Cups as a Hab. And the rest of the hockey world learned, once again, a valuable lesson: Sam Pollock is smarter than you.
Yeah that's not bad. Of course back then things were a little more clear cut than they are now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Reports are Price will miss a month.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Reports are Price will miss a month.

Just saw that. Xmas has come early. Condon is due to start losing some games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rangers lose 3-0. With a win in Arizona Sens could be 3 back with a game in hand. Caps play the Leafs. Let's see some of that Babcock Effect.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, so much for the Babcock Effect. 4-2 Caps after 2.

Also the Price-less Habs are up 1-0 on the Devils. Galchenyuk with his 6th. But there's still lots of time.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Very cool story here:

Ha, that's awesome.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Boy, that night didn't go at all as planned.  Caps won, Habs won (but in OT so at least they had to try a little harder).  Sens lost a very valuable 2 points and now are just 2 ahead of Boston, who have a game in hand.  Sens face the Flyers on Tuesday; Boston is in Edmonton the following night.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Coloiacovo with a "dented trachea" on cross-check.  Is there any injury he hasn't sustained yet?  

Last edited by wprager on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Boy, that night didn't go at all as planned.  Caps won, Habs won (but in OT so at least they had to try a little harder).  Sens lost a very valuable 2 points and now are just 2 ahead of Boston, who have a game in hand.  Sens face the Flyers on Tuesday; Boston is in Edmonton the following night.

Meh, we can't win them all though. We were due.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Price out 6 weeks or more, but no surgery.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Price out 6 weeks or more, but no surgery.
TwoThumbsUp!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
TwoThumbsUp!

Parade un-planned.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
TwoThumbsUp!

Parade un-planned.
Ive been very subtly rubbing it in to my habs friends face. There is quite a bit of stress in habs land regarding this. It's lovely to see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum