GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 59 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yzerman has a tough summer coming up. He has to win the Drouin trade - it is as simple as that. Yzerman should be looking at bringing in players who are under control and can fill in some gaps. Drouin has proved nothing at the NHL level.

Stamkos is a UFA this year and they have 7 RFA's needing new contracts
Hedman, Coburn are UFA's next year after with Palat and Johnson as RFA's

To Tampa: Ceci, Lazar, Wikstrand, 3rd rd pick
To Ottawa: Garrison, Drouin

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yzerman has a tough summer coming up. He has to win the Drouin trade - it is as simple as that. Yzerman should be looking at bringing in players who are under control and can fill in some gaps. Drouin has proved nothing at the NHL level.

I think when LeBrun said a deal would be "around Drouin and Ceci" this is the sort of thing he was talking about. I like it.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn't trade Lazar for Drouin. I love Lazar's game and potential.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yzerman has a tough summer coming up. He has to win the Drouin trade - it is as simple as that. Yzerman should be looking at bringing in players who are under control and can fill in some gaps. Drouin has proved nothing at the NHL level.

Ok.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Goodie Wilson objects vehemently to trading Ceci. All the more reason to trade Ceci.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I like Ceci, but there's no real untouchables on this team outside of Karlsson.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I like Ceci, but there's no real untouchables on this team outside of Karlsson.  

Can't touch this ... Hammond time!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I wouldn't trade Lazar for Drouin. I love Lazar's game and potential.

Drouin has a much higher ceiling than Lazar. I see Drouin as a very similar player to Hoffman. Super fast, good shot. Not so great defensively. Lazar is someone I think could be compared to Dustin Brown. Heart and soul guy with captain like characteristics. Two very different players but Ottawa needs goal-scoring, not a 3rd line checker unfortunately.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think when LeBrun said a deal would be "around Drouin and Ceci" this is the sort of thing he was talking about. I like it.
So you want to add Lazar, Wikstrand and a 3rd for the pleasure of taking on Garrisons bad contract.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:I wouldn't trade Lazar for Drouin. I love Lazar's game and potential.

Drouin has a much higher ceiling than Lazar. I see Drouin as a very similar player to Hoffman. Super fast, good shot. Not so great defensively. Lazar is someone I think could be compared to Dustin Brown. Heart and soul guy with captain like characteristics. Two very different players but Ottawa needs goal-scoring, not a 3rd line checker unfortunately.
Drouin is a playmaker not a scorer. Hoffman's shot is top 3 in the league, way better than good.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

EK needs to spend a whole lotta time with Hedman this summer. Tell him how great they would be together and then Dorion can send them Chabot, Zbad and a couple of 1sts.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Garrison hasn't had a spectacular season so far but neither has the Lightning. Could rebound nicely in Ottawa. But again. I see the problem that we are trading a right handed shot for a left handed one. That doesn't really equate for me. I do not believe that we can slide up wideman into the top 4 and expect him to behave like a top 4.

On paper I like that proposal for what it's worth but in real life I don't think it works for us.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Garrison hasn't had a spectacular season so far but neither has the Lightning. Could rebound nicely in Ottawa. But again. I see the problem that we are trading a right handed shot for a left handed one. That doesn't really equate for me. I do not believe that we can slide up wideman into the top 4 and expect him to behave like a top 4.

On paper I like that proposal for what it's worth but in real life I don't think it works for us.

Wideman would behave more like a top 4 than our current Top 4. No problem there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Garrison hasn't had a spectacular season so far but neither has the Lightning. Could rebound nicely in Ottawa. But again. I see the problem that we are trading a right handed shot for a left handed one. That doesn't really equate for me. I do not believe that we can slide up wideman into the top 4 and expect him to behave like a top 4.

Ceci pretty much played in the top 4 since day one. Wideman has been playing in College and in the pros for longer than Ceci has been shaving.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ya that's why I thought Garrison coming back made sense. He's got some term left on his contract and it would open some salary for Yzerman to sign his RFA's. Fact is, he is probably losing Stamkos. He would have re-signed by now. I think Kopitar just set the bar on what Stamkos can get in free agency. I'd be seriously looking at trade proposals if I was Yzerman right now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/mvp-race-shaping-up-to-be-the-tightest-in-years

1. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators

Credentials: 36 assists (2nd), 45 points (4th), 28:35 TOI (1st), 50.7% Fenwick, +7.9 relative

Why he should win: With Karlsson on the ice, the Senators are a formidable, playoff-worthy club; without Karlsson, Ottawa is a completely different team, and that team is the worst team in your beer league or any Edmonton Oilers team of the past few years. The Senators are on the fringe of the postseason and it's almost entirely because of Karlsson, whose 28 even-strength points are one more than Kane.

Have I mentioned he's a defenceman? Because he's a defenceman.

There isn't a single player in the league that affects his team in a positive fashion the way Karlsson does the Senators.

Why he won't win: Let me clear my throat for a second... HE DOESN'T PLAY DEFENCE OR KILL PENALTIES! Two things: 1) Karlsson actually has some pretty impressive shot suppression numbers and 2) there are a lot of great players that don't kill penalties, like Kane, Tarasenko, Seguin and Ovechkin.

Karlsson will likely be submarined by voters that are unable to get past the misguided idea that a defenceman must kill penalties to be a great defenceman. If not that, maybe the Senators miss the playoffs and god forbid an MVP be on a non-playoff team. Or maybe because he cut his hair or is too skinny.

Silly, right? It's just as silly as any other reason you wouldn't pick Karlsson as MVP, so you may as well tell people his short hair turned you off to voting for him.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

At least our schedule gets easier...with the Kings and then the Sharks up next! .....

Note that the game against the Kings on Saturday is a 4pm EST start....boooourns.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A case for splitting up Karlsson/Methot (but for God's sake, don't replace Methot with Borowiecki!):

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 59 CYnmKimWQAAXNNf

Karlsson's CF suffers the worst when paired up with Methot. The best is with Wiercioch. Of course zone starts probably have a lot to do with it (if Karlsson-Wiercioch line up for a face off chances are it's in the offensive zone). Still.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 59 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 31 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum