GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 43 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Jaros

Thanks.

Chabot, White, Englund, Jaros, Chlapik. That's a pretty good showing.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:So I guess Chabot made the final roster which is great. Does anyone have a link to all the final rosters of the teams?

I heard someone say he was on the top pairing, is that right? He's been playing with Hicketts.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Am I the only one thinking it's time to upgrade on Mika? I feel like he hasn't stepped up enough or produced at the level where he should be at. I know he's still young but Ryan has produced pretty well without him and Stone on L2 has done nothing since moving down with him.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Am I the only one thinking it's time to upgrade on Mika? I feel like he hasn't stepped up enough or produced at the level where he should be at. I know he's still young but Ryan has produced pretty well without him and Stone on L2 has done nothing since moving down with him.

Lots of potential upgrades reportedly available so it would be silly not to explore those options.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Am I the only one thinking it's time to upgrade on Mika? I feel like he hasn't stepped up enough or produced at the level where he should be at. I know he's still young but Ryan has produced pretty well without him and Stone on L2 has done nothing since moving down with him.

Lots of potential upgrades reportedly available so it would be silly not to explore those options.

I'd entertain a Zib + for Johansson. Issue is that would leave a hole at 2C spot.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In my mind, he's the ideal 3rd line centre. If we can trade him for an upgrade to slot into the #2 spot (like Johansen), then that's fine with me.

Keep in mind, though, that he's still really young and developing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'd entertain a Zib + for Johansson. Issue is that would leave a hole at 2C spot.

Johansson? Did you mean Johansen? Who is playing 1LC in Columbus? We would have Turris and Johansen down the middle -- where's the 2C hole? Pageau is good enough to play 3LC. Johansen would certainly be an upgrade on Zibanejad (even if we don't know Mika's full potential yet) so it would be Zibanejad+, for sure.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Johansson?  Did you mean Johansen?  Who is playing 1LC in Columbus?  We would have Turris and Johansen down the middle -- where's the 2C hole?  Pageau is good enough to play 3LC.  Johansen would certainly be an upgrade on Zibanejad (even if we don't know Mika's full potential yet) so it would be Zibanejad+, for sure.
Ya, I believe we'd be fine in trade for johansen if we parted ways with Zib. That said I'm not as down on Zib as some on this site are. I still see plenty of upside and still untapped as well. He's young.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not giving up on Zibanejad but in the same breath, you can say he's been young for a while, now. From his first 9 games when he seemed to play safe, more afraid of making a mistake than of not doing anything noteworthy, it's been a frustrating progression. Players typically break out in their 2nd or 3rd full year and here we are, on his 4th. He's on pace to slightly increase his point total (46 to 50) but his goal production is way down (on pace for 12 vs. 20 last year). Every once in a while he has one of those games where he take control of almost every shift, asserts himself in both zones and drives scoring chances. But those games are agonizingly rare and the rate of occurrence does not appear to be changing.

He got a short bridge contract which was clearly a message: shows us what you're worth or we'll be forced to find out from others what they think you're worth.

So, while he's still young and there's still a GM out there who remembers that gold medal game and thinks that a fresh start is what he needs to show his true potential, maybe now is the time to use that to our advantage.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I'm not giving up on Zibanejad but in the same breath, you can say he's been young for a while, now.  From his first 9 games when he seemed to play safe, more afraid of making a mistake than of not doing anything noteworthy, it's been a frustrating progression.  Players typically break out in their 2nd or 3rd full year and here we are, on his 4th.  He's on pace to slightly increase his point total (46 to 50) but his goal production is way down (on pace for 12 vs. 20 last year).   Every once in a while he has one of those games where he take control of almost every shift, asserts himself in both zones and drives scoring chances. But those games are agonizingly rare and the rate of occurrence does not appear to be changing.

He got a short bridge contract which was clearly a message: shows us what you're worth or we'll be forced to find out from others what they think you're worth.

So, while he's still young and there's still a GM out there who remembers that gold medal game and thinks that a fresh start is what he needs to show his true potential, maybe now is the time to use that to our advantage.

This is his third season and a lot of players break out in the fourth year. I'm not expecting him to break it big offensively and I would trade him for sure, but he is still a useful piece when he is on.

The problem if people are disappointed is that they think he has an upside that he does not have. He has a 60ish point two way upside and he's been good defensively this season while contributing some points. He plays PK for us and he is used as a shutdown centre.,

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm not giving up on Zibanejad but in the same breath, you can say he's been young for a while, now.  From his first 9 games when he seemed to play safe, more afraid of making a mistake than of not doing anything noteworthy, it's been a frustrating progression.  Players typically break out in their 2nd or 3rd full year and here we are, on his 4th.  He's on pace to slightly increase his point total (46 to 50) but his goal production is way down (on pace for 12 vs. 20 last year).   Every once in a while he has one of those games where he take control of almost every shift, asserts himself in both zones and drives scoring chances. But those games are agonizingly rare and the rate of occurrence does not appear to be changing.

This is his third season and a lot of players break out in the fourth year. I'm not expecting him to break it big offensively and I would trade him for sure, but he is still a useful piece when he is on.

The problem if people are disappointed is that they think he has an upside that he does not have. He has a 60ish point two way upside and he's been good defensively this season while contributing some points. He plays PK for us and he is used as a shutdown centre.,

2011-12: 9 games
2012-13: 42 games (shortened season)
2013-14: 69 games
2014-15: 80 games
2015-16: 34 games -- 4th full season

You must be counting 2012-13 as not a full season, but that's the year they actually advanced to the second round of the playoffs. It was definitely a full season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also, Zibanejad is 5th on the team in PK ice time per game for forwards. A PK unit has 2 forwards, so 5th means you're not on PK1 or PK2, at least not on a regular basis. In actuality his SH ice time is very close to Lazar (4th) and Michalek (6th); possibly he's been getting more PK time recently (certainly with Michalek out). Now, his PK ice time has changed dramatically since last year but on this team Pageau is the shutdown center and his PK time is significantly higher than the next highest forward (which, by the way, is Chiasson).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:

2011-12: 9 games
2012-13: 42 games (shortened season)
2013-14: 69 games
2014-15: 80 games
2015-16: 34 games -- 4th full season

You must be counting 2012-13 as not a full season, but that's the year they actually advanced to the second round of the playoffs.  It was definitely a full season.

NO it was not a full season, it was literally half of a season due to the lockout.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Also, Zibanejad is 5th on the team in PK ice time per game for forwards.  A PK unit has 2 forwards, so 5th means you're not on PK1 or PK2, at least not on a regular basis.  In actuality his SH ice time is very close to Lazar (4th) and Michalek (6th); possibly he's been getting more PK time recently (certainly with Michalek out).  Now, his PK ice time has changed dramatically since last year but on this team Pageau is the shutdown center and his PK time is significantly higher than the next highest forward (which, by the way, is Chiasson).

I am talking about right now. He is poking every game with Michalek out.

Pageau is a Dung done type centre but zibby has played that role as well

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

52 games (including playoffs) when half the league played fewer games than that is a full season. For the purposes of determining his progression he has had 3 full seasons in the NHL and is on his fourth one.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Also, Zibanejad is 5th on the team in PK ice time per game for forwards.  A PK unit has 2 forwards, so 5th means you're not on PK1 or PK2, at least not on a regular basis.  In actuality his SH ice time is very close to Lazar (4th) and Michalek (6th); possibly he's been getting more PK time recently (certainly with Michalek out).  Now, his PK ice time has changed dramatically since last year but on this team Pageau is the shutdown center and his PK time is significantly higher than the next highest forward (which, by the way, is Chiasson).

I am talking about right now. He is poking every game with Michalek out.

Pageau is a Dung done type centre but zibby has played that role as well

Took me a little while to figure that one out Smile

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

No Ceci or Lazar at practice. Looks like Bobby Ryan will play tomorrow though. Here's the lines:

Smith-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-ZBad-Ryan
Dizzy-Pageau-Chiasson
Prince-Neil

So I dunno...maybe we call someone up for tomorrow, or they expect Lazar to play?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:No Ceci or Lazar at practice.  Looks like Bobby Ryan will play tomorrow though.  Here's the lines:

Smith-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-ZBad-Ryan
Dizzy-Pageau-Chiasson
Prince-Neil

So I dunno...maybe we call someone up for tomorrow, or they expect Lazar to play?

The we have a chance...

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 43 852933671

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 43 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 55 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum