GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 39 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:2 games for Stone. Don't hit a TSN analyst's kid I guess.

Has young Logan Ferrero recovered?

Not Logan. Lando. Lando Ferrassian.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The farce is strong with that one.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Looking forward to Chabot getting the tryout next year.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Chabot could easily be on the roster next year as that 3rd pairing dman, plus he'd look good on PP1 or PP2. At some point before next season, a dman or two (or three) have gotta go. The problem is the trade value for Wiercioch/Cowen/BoroCop are all pretty low right now based on performance. Wiercioch is a RFA after this season, so maybe he's the odd man out...especially since Chabot could essentially be a better version of him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think he will be, depending obviously on if he can add some core muscle and play well in pre-season. We need a legit puck moving, point producing D-man to go with EK. Ceci will likely be a 40 point guy at some point, but he's slightly restricted being a righty with the Sens using Ryan or Hoffman on the point with Ek.

I could see Chabot turning some heads next year. But then...rushing is bad, so it depends.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:I think he will be, depending obviously on if he can add some core muscle and play well in pre-season.  We need a legit puck moving, point producing D-man to go with EK.  Ceci will likely be a 40 point guy at some point, but he's slightly restricted being a righty with the Sens using Ryan or Hoffman on the point with Ek.

I could see Chabot turning some heads next year.  But then...rushing is bad, so it depends.

I'd prefer we take at least a year longer with Chabot. No rush to be honest. His skills might almost be there but will he be mentally ready to face adversity if it comes his way? We're seeing more and more of these young guys who have the talent to play in the NHL fall short of reaching expectations because they are thrust in that environement.
Hold back, take our time a little bit developing them.
For we could get a solid number 3 to play with Ceci that would probably solve our emediate problems and we have the exchange currency to do it. Don't trade any firsts but you could easily move a second paired with a promising blueliner or forewarn playing on our team to make a deal happen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gonchar was a righty who played the right side on the PP pretty nicely. It's been done (having two RHS D-men on the PP) and done well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, Chabot is playing in the Q where "defense" is actually a 4 letter word. He's going to need to spend a little time in the AHL, and then some. Look at Wideman and where he is now, after being the best D-man in the AHL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Meh, the NHL is very structured and he has - what appears to be - a high level of skill. I think he could do it, but they would know best obviously.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Yeah, Chabot is playing in the Q where "defense" is actually a 4 letter word.  He's going to need to spend a little time in the AHL, and then some.  Look at Wideman and where he is now, after being the best D-man in the AHL.
Huge difference of where they are at what age. Cannot compare the two but I will admit that playing the Q leaves a lot to desire as far as beings gauge for an effective defencemen. The AHL is certainly a better gauge but he looked damn good in the preseason.
If he's eligible for the AHL next year that's where he should be.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Gonchar was a righty who played the right side on the PP pretty nicely.  It's been done (having two RHS D-men on the PP) and done well.
an example that disproves the rule. But only an example. There aren't many of those.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Gonchar was a righty who played the right side on the PP pretty nicely.  It's been done (having two RHS D-men on the PP) and done well.
an example that disproves the rule. But only an example. There aren't many of those.

A rightie playing the right point is in the best position to receive a rim-around and then make a pass to the other point. A rightie on the left point is in the best position for a one-timer. If you play a leftie and a rightie on the points then they are in the best position to pass it back-and-forth to each other without any shots. They can also pass to the forward standing at the half boards. The only way they shoot on goal (effectively, that is) is by rotating to a better shooting position. But if you want one-timers the rightie to rightie (or leftie to leftie) is the way to go.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:2 games for Stone. Don't hit a TSN analyst's kid I guess.

Has young Logan Ferrero recovered?

Not Logan.  Lando.  Lando Ferrassian.

wprager wrote:The farce is strong with that one.

Puking2 Puking2 Puking2

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Have we traded for that #3 D yet?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Um.. Gonchar is a leftie

The best PP I've seen in the past few years were Montreal around 09. They had Kovalev Markov, PLekanec and Streit and all four were lefties.

Same for Gonchar/Malkin/Crosby around the same time. All lefties.

It really doesn't matter as long as you execute it well.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:Um.. Gonchar is a leftie

The best PP I've seen in the past few years were Montreal around 09. They had Kovalev Markov, PLekanec and Streit and all four were lefties.

Same for Gonchar/Malkin/Crosby around the same time. All lefties.

It really doesn't matter as long as you execute it well.

In all seriousness, I think just getting a lefty to play with Ceci is a waste of time and resources. You could probably get both Streit and an experienced righty to make an improved 2nd pairing if you want to add a few dollars to the payroll.

Ceci can play on the 3rd pairing with whoever and not hurt the team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've lost a lot of interest in the NHL for one reason, guaranteed contracts. It's stupid that the NFL has non guaranteed contacts and the NHL doesn't. Would completely improve the quality of the league and we'd be able to cut our dead weight instantly

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I've lost a lot of interest in the NHL for one reason,  guaranteed contracts.  It's stupid that the NFL has non guaranteed contacts and the NHL doesn't. Would completely improve the quality of the league and we'd be able to cut our dead weight instantly

Then teams would be cutting more guys based on salary and replacing them with unproven prospects who aren't necessarily better than the so-called "dead wood." I'm not sure how that would improve the quality.

Besides, the money saved would go to the top players and you'd have an even more top-heavy salary structure. Like the NFL. Right?

You might see development skipped altogether as Junior players would be taking spots vacated by the dead-wood and producing less quality NHL-ready players in pretty short order, wouldn't you. I think the NFL operates this way so maybe the reason they have so much "dead wood" is because they have no farm system or development.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 39 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum