GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Also there has been significant chatter around the organization that sens are willing to spend right now to make this team into a contender. If you think they will stand pat this season and stick with what we've got then you better think again. Either they will trade for a bigger ticket than they already have or they will be giving some significant money to a FA.

No way do we go into next season with the roster we have. No way. I just hope it's not Stewart.

As it stands right now I would let condra walk and lazar start in the minor. If Chiasson is still here then I have no problem with him starting on that 3rd line. And since everyone is penciling Neil to stay that's your 4rth line RW.
In the left you have a mix of mac, Hoffman and that is where you slide Williams IMO. Then it's pumpel or prince as injuries happen With michalek to start.

Really not sure anything is gonna come of this off-season.  I don't see one area at forward where we can say we're weak and we need to spend money to solve a problem.  A lot of success will come when players like Chiasson, Puempel, Prince, Lazar and Pageau start to get some serious games in and have some success.

The glaring issues come at D.  Are we good enough to do anything with the D we have?  Not convinced we are, but at the same time if you don't commit to giving Wiercioch, Ceci, Boro, Cowen and Wideman ample time to fully develop, then you need to trade one or two of them.

The way it is right now we need to make some moves and ship some bodies out.  I'd expect the lineup to look something like this:

Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - ZBad - Ryan
Puempel/Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Puempel/Prince - Smith - Neil
Chiasson
Greening

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boro/Cowen - Wideman/Boro/Cowen
one of Boro/Cowen/Wideman
Phillips

Anderson
Hammond

That's 24 players, so one more body moved and I really don't see anywhere where you can say it's a good idea to upgrade unless it's Hoffman or unless you're playing Puempel on line 4 and upgrading the 3rd line LW.

Your 24 man roster includes both prince and pumpel making the jump. Mine does not. I see prince as being the first call up in case of injuries.

So you just waive Prince at the end of training camp and hope someone doesn't claim the 6th highest AHL scorer?
Arkkkk..... I didn't know he had to be put through waivers. Ya, that might change a few things. With uncle Tim in Buffalo ready to scoop in.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The Sens MUST have a trade lined up if they offered Condra a contract.  

Prince + Chiasson + perhaps Smith for Sharp?  Must be something that purges us of a few bodies.

I like condra a lot myself. But I don't see him as more than a fourth liner who is important to the PK. With Neil in I don't see how we have condra. Also I believe it may be time to move from Neil but that's another story.

Don't underestimate that, it's important.  He's also well liked.  

Condra is replaceable but so is Neil, fact is Neil won't have a lot of people to go with at this point and injuries have caught up.  If they can move Neil then signing Condra is a pretty good call.
Might point was that I'd rather keep condra over Neil. I have been vocal enough about us moving on with Neil. Combined with a few more assets/player could get us a decent return.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Also there has been significant chatter around the organization that sens are willing to spend right now to make this team into a contender. If you think they will stand pat this season and stick with what we've got then you better think again. Either they will trade for a bigger ticket than they already have or they will be giving some significant money to a FA.

No way do we go into next season with the roster we have. No way. I just hope it's not Stewart.

As it stands right now I would let condra walk and lazar start in the minor. If Chiasson is still here then I have no problem with him starting on that 3rd line. And since everyone is penciling Neil to stay that's your 4rth line RW.
In the left you have a mix of mac, Hoffman and that is where you slide Williams IMO. Then it's pumpel or prince as injuries happen With michalek to start.
Where are you hearing the chatter.  I haven't heard anything since November and at that point I was told 60M (ish) this season, 65M (ish) next season and full on whatever it takes in following seasons.  Melnyk has ALWAYS been open to bringing in rentals at the deadline no matter the salary.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/ottawa-senators

Current cap is $60.3M with 11 forwards and 7 D.  Add $600K for Wideman and $863 for Puempel and you are already close to $62M without Hoffman.  If they keep him it's going to be at least $2.5M.  If they don't, then I assume am upgrade at top-six that's even higher.  It's still possible that Cowen goes the other way but there's little chance the Sens aren't closer to $62 than $60M this season.
The payroll is actually 59.8 with Wideman. Add Chiasson, pumped and Hoffman, remove Greening and they will only need to shed about 2M.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 15s15 seconds ago

Hoffman, Prince, Chiasson and Cole Schneider have gotten qualifying offers. #Sens
0 retweets 0 favorites

Nothing earth shattering, here.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Hoffman, Prince, Chiasson and Cole Schneider have gotten qualifying offers. #Sens
0 retweets 0 favorites

Well thats good. Im sure spezz is very happy Cole is most likely going to stick around.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

BTW, "uncle Tim" is actually "nephew Timmy".

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:BTW, "uncle Tim" is actually "nephew Timmy".
Uncle to the kids.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

0 retweets 0 favorites

Well thats good. Im sure spezz is very happy Cole is most likely going to stick around.

I guess. We'll never give him a shot for one reason or the other. Passed by many prospects I guess, no room, etc. etc. etc.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Will Paul be in Btown next season? He could be a call up as well, depending on the strides he takes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:Will Paul be in Btown next season? He could be a call up as well, depending on the strides he takes.

Yeah, really excited to see him in pre-season as well.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:Will Paul be in Btown next season? He could be a call up as well, depending on the strides he takes.

The way I see it, he's going to replace 9MM at some point.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:

I'm more excited to see how you guys overrate everyone in dev camp. Always a treat.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

I'm more excited to see how you guys overrate everyone in dev camp. Always a treat.
Not sure how it's overrating someone when you watch them and you love the way they're being put through their paces.

Don't knock Dev. camps. It was the first time I say Lindberg and I liked him immediately, then we all saw him in pre-season and I liked him again, and now it looks like he's on his way to being a player.

The number of times that this has happened for the people who go to Dev. camps is vast. You see the talent with your own eyes and you begin the journey of seeing if these kids can put it together as they try to get all the way to pro.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

"Let's get rid of this guy because so-and-so was awesome in the dev camp 3 on 3 scrimmage. "

Gold.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

lol yup

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

Oglethorpe wrote:IMO it is obvious that the only reason they signed Wideman to a 600K/400K two way, is that it may take into the early season to jettison one of Phillips, Cowen or Wiercioch.  The Sens don't willingly pay AHL players 400K, they plan on him being in Ottawa most of, if not all of the year.

TJ Brennan won the Eddie Shore the year before and signed the same type of contract for last season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Development camp is often the first time we get to see these kids. A lot of it is just pure skill evaluation (who can skate faster, who's got a harder shot) but you can even notice other things. Like in hi first DC I remember seeing Lehner and he would never give up on a play, very often doing ridiculous acrobatics. He got the award for the Hardest Working prospect or something like that. Boy, they really screwed up his development, didn't they.

Anyhow, like SD said, Lidberg impressed last year, then he goes and has a hell of a season in the OHL, including playoffs. Definitely more than you normally expect from a 4th rounder. Would be nice to see if how he's progressed since last year.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DirtyDave wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:IMO it is obvious that the only reason they signed Wideman to a 600K/400K two way, is that it may take into the early season to jettison one of Phillips, Cowen or Wiercioch.  The Sens don't willingly pay AHL players 400K, they plan on him being in Ottawa most of, if not all of the year.

TJ Brennan won the Eddie Shore the year before and signed the same type of contract for last season.
TJ Brennan has been on a one way contract for the last 2 years. What is your comparison.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum