GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 67]

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

Oglethorpe wrote:IMO it is obvious that the only reason they signed Wideman to a 600K/400K two way, is that it may take into the early season to jettison one of Phillips, Cowen or Wiercioch.  The Sens don't willingly pay AHL players 400K, they plan on him being in Ottawa most of, if not all of the year.

TJ Brennan won the Eddie Shore the year before and signed the same type of contract for last season.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Development camp is often the first time we get to see these kids. A lot of it is just pure skill evaluation (who can skate faster, who's got a harder shot) but you can even notice other things. Like in hi first DC I remember seeing Lehner and he would never give up on a play, very often doing ridiculous acrobatics. He got the award for the Hardest Working prospect or something like that. Boy, they really screwed up his development, didn't they.

Anyhow, like SD said, Lidberg impressed last year, then he goes and has a hell of a season in the OHL, including playoffs. Definitely more than you normally expect from a 4th rounder. Would be nice to see if how he's progressed since last year.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

DirtyDave wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:IMO it is obvious that the only reason they signed Wideman to a 600K/400K two way, is that it may take into the early season to jettison one of Phillips, Cowen or Wiercioch.  The Sens don't willingly pay AHL players 400K, they plan on him being in Ottawa most of, if not all of the year.

TJ Brennan won the Eddie Shore the year before and signed the same type of contract for last season.
TJ Brennan has been on a one way contract for the last 2 years. What is your comparison.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Development camp is often the first time we get to see these kids.  A lot of it is just pure skill evaluation (who can skate faster, who's got a harder shot) but you can even notice other things.  Like in hi first DC I remember seeing Lehner and he would never give up on a play, very often doing ridiculous acrobatics.  He got the award for the Hardest Working prospect or something like that.  Boy, they really screwed up his development, didn't they.

Anyhow, like SD said, Lidberg impressed last year, then he goes and has a hell of a season in the OHL, including playoffs.  Definitely more than you normally expect from a 4th rounder.  Would be nice to see if how he's progressed since last year.

What makes you say that? Just because they decided he wasn't their goalie of the future doesn't mean they "screwed up his development." It could very easily mean that he screwed up his development with his attitude and sense of entitlement.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

They gave in to him when they brought him up as a backup when he should have been the starter in Bingo for a year or two. A goalie needs to play to develop and he just never played enough games.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cowen too. That guy was ahl eligible when he needed it and they didn't do it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:They gave in to him when they brought him up as a backup when he should have been the starter in Bingo for a year or two.  A goalie needs to play to develop and he just never played enough games.  

That's why I always say patience, friends. Patience.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Look out! Sens sign Patrick Mullen!!

Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Look out!  Sens sign Patrick Mullen!!

Ahhhhh!

That's a guy you need to win in the AHL. Like a D version of Corey Locke.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Mullen is a good AHL player, probably the captain there going forward. Like SSF said, you needs guys like that down there to help the young kids out and help the team win some games. Nothing breads success like winning.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:They gave in to him when they brought him up as a backup when he should have been the starter in Bingo for a year or two.  A goalie needs to play to develop and he just never played enough games.  

He won everything in Bingo, nothing for him to learn there except, perhaps, patience. I'll give you that.

But McLean was an absolute idiot the way he handle him here. Coaching 101 is you ride the hot hand. It's a long season, no-one has come anywhere remotely close to winning 82 in a row; with back-to-back games, elite-level opponents and of course the very nature of a streak (it has a beginning and an end) it's the only move -- you ride the hot hand. MacLean didn't do that on several occasions.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They traded Bishop, extended Andy with a NTC only in the first year or two -- all of those were indications of where Murray wanted to go, yet MacLean went another way. His handing of the personnel given to him seemed to often go against the (perceived) intention of the GM. This is mostly why he was fired.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

He won everything in Bingo, nothing for him to learn there except, perhaps, patience.  I'll give you that.

But McLean was an absolute idiot the way he handle him here.  Coaching 101 is you ride the hot hand.  It's a long season, no-one has come anywhere remotely close to winning 82 in a row; with back-to-back games, elite-level opponents and of course the very nature of a streak (it has a beginning and an end) it's the only move -- you ride the hot hand.   MacLean didn't do that on several occasions.

Riding the hot hand doesn't work when you have an experienced veteran.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Of course it works.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Of course it works.  

No it doesn't work like that dude. New York didn't keep riding Talbot. If you have a proven veteran you go back to him

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:They traded Bishop, extended Andy with a NTC only in the first year or two -- all of those were indications of where Murray wanted to go, yet MacLean went another way.  His handing of the personnel given to him seemed to often go against the (perceived) intention of the GM.  This is mostly why he was fired.
Andy doesn't have any NTC.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Of course it works.  

Not for long though, he's right. There comes a time when you have to go back to the 'guy'. Good ole Mac went way too early with that though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Any news on Condra?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum